stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Any of you guys know where I can get a stainless steel metal grille fabricated without it costing an arm or a leg, or my firstborn? It's 25" wide by 4-7/8" tall and 3/4" in depth. I have two quotes, one came in at $275.00, the other at $395.00 + $45.00 shipping,:eek: I'm still waiting for a local shop to fax theirs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any of you guys know where I can get a stainless steel metal grille fabricated without it costing an arm or a leg, or my firstborn? It's 25" wide by 4-7/8" tall and 3/4" in depth. I have two quotes, one came in at $275.00, the other at $395.00 + $45.00 shipping,:eek: I'm still waiting for a local shop to fax theirs.
Your problem is specifying stainless steel and the fact it is 3/4 thick. Stainless steel is expensive, hard to work with and weld. Cutting takes longer than mild steel. It takes a lot more skill to weld.

Is there any way you could use mild steel and paint it? What is the screen for?
I think the $275 quote is cheap, for the material and labor involved.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Your problem is specifying stainless steel and the fact it is 3/4 thick. Stainless steel is expensive, hard to work with and weld. Cutting takes longer than mild steel. It takes a lot more skill to weld.

Is there any way you could use mild steel and paint it? What is the screen for?
I think the $275 quote is cheap, for the material and labor involved.
Actually the 3/4" perimeter frame is hollow, the grille is for empty space over my built-in microwave. The bars (or blades) are in the center and are canted down about 15 degrees so you don't look into the empty space. My micro is installed in the base cabinetry next to double ovens. I might spring for the $275, but I still have one more quote pending from a local shop.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
You're problem in Miami is that there will be lots of places that will say they can cut and weld it together for you... but not a whole lot that can do it right. ;)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I thought you meant THIS kind of grill - plural of which of course is grillz...

Last edited by a moderator:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Now that's just sick Halon!

Anyway, I got my last quote from a local 'real' metal shop Doudney Sheet Metal Works, they came in at 230.05 + tax, everyone bid from the same drawings so it was an apples to apples comparison. CB if you need metal work done in Miami, this is the place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis