Arendal Sound 1723 THX Tower Review!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So in a room like mine sitting 14 feet back from 3 of these as my L C R with 4 Rythmik FV18's in the room

How would you recommend to properly implement these?

It's a theoretical question but I feel it holds value because a lot of us here on audioholics that have been in the hobby for awhile have serious subs already in our rooms if some of us would want to purchase these and not the stand mount how would we integrate these into our setups

Your article may attract potential buyers and if they browse this thread I thought it might be nice to have you answer that question if you don't mind Shady

How does one go about integrating a full range tower like this into a more serious theater with heavy duty subs if they don't want to use a high pass filter?
I would let an automated room correction program handle the calibration of full-range towers with subs. Just make sure the towers are set to 'large.' It can be done manually too by using a global EQ.

The nice thing about using the speakers full range is that it gives you more location sources of low frequencies and should help to smooth out the overall response that much more.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One last question as you said they set out to execute a full range tower

Does one need to crossover the bottom woofers that low to pull this off? As you said maybe their are advantages to crossing the woofers so low to achieve this goal?
I don't know what the advantages are in having such a low filter, especially when you can't amplify the lower two woofers seperately. It seems a bit low for baffle step compensation. I think that maybe they viewed the product as a standmount speaker with its own stand that can do bass. Well, they already had a good standmount speaker with the 1723 Monitor, so they didn't want to screw around with that existing design too much. It's possible that a higher low-pass filter on the lower woofers would have caused complications with the crossover circuit that they didn't think was worth the hassle. This is just speculation though.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
James thanks for the review. I have a pair and agree with your assessments. These are the best towers I auditioned in my listening room, which is why they are the ones that passed the audition and are currently performing sentry duty on either side of my TV. I have in black satin. Monoliths indeed. I Watched the video you noted about speaker positioning and tried the time-intensity trading (a great term, I just have to avoid using the acronym). They sound even better than when I had them slightly towed in, so they were directed just past my ears. The soundstage and imaging, which were already very good, is even better. I learned something and was able to use it to improve my listening experience. Thank you very much!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would let an automated room correction program handle the calibration of full-range towers with subs. Just make sure the towers are set to 'large.' It can be done manually too by using a global EQ.

The nice thing about using the speakers full range is that it gives you more location sources of low frequencies and should help to smooth out the overall response that much more.
When Dirac ART comes out it may be another bonus to use these towers as Full Range. The more speakers that can help with the low end the better

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis