Meta (Facebook) Employees Fired for Selling Account Info to Hackers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you think Meta's management has clean hands, think again:

In case you have been living underground vault for the last few years, here are some of the stories regarding Cambridge Analytica.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Their boat has sailed. They just laid off ~3K people thanks to the ongoing economy slowdown. Regardless of their poor handling of your data, they've also run into the same old thing where young people don't care about your niche software anymore. So-called "Rebranding" really isn't doing anything for them.

If I was there and you rebranded and said VR is the future, I would have quit immediately.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
~3K people in our area alone, headquarters is here. The rest are worldwide. A friend works at Apple and they have one position open and got hundreds of applications from Meta people the first day.

Amazon increased their cuts to almost 20K and Google announced another 10K worldwide.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A friend of mine's daughter got a position with Meta a while back, and recently asked him if she'd survived the cuts and so far yes (management). I briefly asked her what was so different from FB at the time and the answer was pretty vague :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can guess at the difference. Peloton is sort of a rapid example: Covid hits, they all of a sudden have a market for people who can't go to the gym. Their stock shoots up, they hire a bunch of people and they are advertising left and right. Fast forward to restrictions being lifted and suddenly their market is pretty much gone overnight. They had a big layoff a few months ago and are now trying to get bought by any big corporation like Meta.

It isn't exactly that way for Meta-faceplant, but it is along those lines over a longer period. Almost overnight, the ability of users to opt out of their data being sold and their literal cash cow is now hamburger. That's part of it. People enjoy a thing like that for what it is for a while and then move on to something else when the shiny wears off, and the shiny has definitely worn off. They staved off irrelevance by buying some other newer mainstream apps, but in the end, they aren't really offering anything new that people want as far as I can tell.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why the eff would they need almost 85K employees?
In a very basic response, how else do you expect any company to generate $118 Billion in annual revenue? without producing a single piece of a physical product?
The social network isn't what makes FB money, but Advertising is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

While that is terrible news for them, this is probably much worse and is what I said before: there isn't really a viable market for VR the way they want to believe there is

In a very basic response, how else do you expect any company to generate $118 Billion in annual revenue? without producing a single piece of a physical product?
They acquired Oculus and now have a physical product from one leg of their business. The other ~80K employees are software lol.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
They have massive data centers with self-developed infrastructure and servers. They have plenty of in-house developed hardware and networking.
I did forget about Oculus hardware because, in the grand scheme of things, for now, it's a rounding error in their revenue.
$60mil/month is the latest number. VR store content shows a bit better performance.
Software isn't a curse word. Again I think 87k employees for a company with such revenue is a fairly normal amount.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
But they don't ship or receive anything, don't manufacture anything (other than BS), don't repair anything and if they sell anything, I haven't heard of anyone who has been contacted directly. Sure, people create ads, but ~85 thousand people? Also, they don't charge for selling/buying on the FB marketplace.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
FB/Meta's biggest seller is highly accurate targeting ads. Let says a local posh spa wants to advertise to rich (with specific requirements of how rich) white women between 40 to 60 living in particular zip codes interested in spa services.
FB has the data and could show ads only to these people. It takes a lot of processing to gather and process this data. An insane amount of data needs to store, and the process is mind-boggling.
Here are a few resources to showcase their infrastructure and challenges.
The amount of machine learning and AI needed to recognize billions of people in their insanely massive photo libraries.
The content moderation team alone is 15k people. https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-content-moderator-quit-with-blistering-letter-citing-trauma-2021-4

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, it is more challenging t trust people after such posts. I hope that the problem was solved and our facebook accounts are safe.
They have never been safe. A friend used to manage a computer store and he said that one of the easiest ways to end up with a virus-infected computer is to join FaceBook.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis