MediaMonkey or dBpoweramp for ripping?

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Hi all. Hope this is the right place for my question.
I know that dBpoweramp is highly regarded for ripping.
How does MediaMonkey compare?
I'm looking to rip my CD's and save the files as .wav, as that's the only lossless format my receiver will play (Yamaha RX-V3800).

Thanks.

Jack

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I can not compare the two. But, I can say I have had great success with MM ripping over 400 CDs to FLAC thus far.

Additionally, I then converted and saved (as a separate file) the FLAC songs to 320k MP3 for use with a portable player, also easy and fast.

XEagleDriver

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I use this: fre:ac
Mediamonkey is my new friend for sorting out files and such. There's a handy batch converter included in the interface. I don't care much for dbpoweramp since you eventually have to pay for parts (last time I checked).

The biggest differences between mediamonkey and fre:ac
1) Mediamonkey can query more than one CD database.
2) Mediamonkey is also a library for the files
3) MM can play it back
4) Fre:ac is tiny. It's a great ripper.

-pat

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
CDex is another option, has all major codecs including flac, and can be configured to rip to .wav file and then convert to another format while leaving the wav file after conversion, just turn of the encode on the fly feature.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Thanks Spark.

BTW, I've been using Windows Media Player v.11 for ripping, and it seems to be doing fine.
But I've read on a number of forums like this one that WMP isn't so hot for ripping.
So, that's why I'm on the hunt for one.
I'll be running a cable from my router to my receiver, which will involve getting up in the attic, etc. I figured as long as I'm going to do that, so I can stream the music on my PC to my A/V system, I might as well make sure my rips are as good as I can get them.

Thanks again, folks. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, I've been using Windows Media Player v.11 for ripping, and it seems to be doing fine.
But I've read on a number of forums like this one that WMP isn't so hot for ripping. So, that's why I'm on the hunt for one.
I've never used WMP to rip but I can assure you that they all do the same job. I use Sound Forge to rip since I also sometimes edit the files before saving them.

In the past I did some comparisons between different programs, including EAC, which is considered the 'best' ripper (by people who don't know anything about the process) and in every instance the rips were bit for bit identical.

The differences between various programs comes down to convenience features - such as rip and encode to another format on the fly or a batch conversion process to encode multiple files at once.

Using an audio editor like Sound Forge, as I do, is a slow manual process but affords the most control. There are many reasons why rip, encode, and tag in one process often doesn't yield the best results (and it has nothing to do with 'sound quality'.)

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Thanks MDS.
I also have Sound Forge, but never got around to learning it (version 9).
Thanks for the info.

Jack

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
dBpoweramp all the way. The automation and ease of use just makes it unbeatable and well worth $38. But it also depends on your needs. If you're doing one rip now and then a freebie may be fine but I sometimes buy several CDs and the automation is great as is the fully automated conversion and tagging when I want a second version for my portable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis