Media/TVBox for TV for Kodi with the following requirements...

Akila

Akila

Audiophyte
I have Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro up until a week ago, then there was a power cut issue at my neighborhood and my Shield subsumed to its wounds and passed away to the spirit world.
I have Denon AVR (AVR-X3800H +pre-out Amp for 11 Ch support) and 7.2.4 speakers layout, TV is TCL 75C935 and I use Kodi, Netflix, Disney+.
No Plex or other players. So only focus on those three as my media source/player.

The connectivity matrix I use and prefer to remain on is: TVBox -> AVR -> TV

Now I am looking into buying a new box other then Shield and I was wondering what should I buy that supports my following requirements:
  1. Mandatory: 4K 60
  2. Mandatory: Passthrough Dolby Atmos over TrueHD
  3. Mandatory: Passthrough DTSHD-MA w/DTS:X
  4. Mandatory: HDR+ & Dolby Vision (all profiles or as close as possible that is available)
  5. Optional: IMAX Enhanced support {DTS:X Profile 2} (for Disney+ & for Kodi future proof that Box won't limit me when Kodi supports it)
  6. Optional: Aero 3D Support (for Kodi future proof that Box won't limit me)
  7. Optional: Adjust refresh rate "On start/stop" (Kodi settings I need the Box to honor and execute. My TV supports it as it worked well on my Shield -> AVR -> TV)
  8. Mandatory: 1 Gb Ethernet port (I don't use WiFi so i don't care about WiFi support Level)
  9. Optional: VPN Client installation Support (NordVPN, etc.)
  10. Mandatory: Widevine L1
  11. Mandatory: Netflix/Disney+ full capability Support on the highest available content at their platform (Video/Sound) without the TVBox limiting me.
  • Mandatory = Must have
  • Optional = Nice to have

Shield 2019 Pro supports most of those things I listed but I want to explore other new TV box options as it is 5 years old now this box/tech..

Any suggestion?

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I have Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro up until a week ago, then there was a power cut issue at my neighborhood and my Shield subsumed to its wounds and passed away to the spirit world.
I have Denon AVR (AVR-X3800H +pre-out Amp for 11 Ch support) and 7.2.4 speakers layout, TV is TCL 75C935 and I use Kodi, Netflix, Disney+.
No Plex or other players. So only focus on those three as my media source/player.

The connectivity matrix I use and prefer to remain on is: TVBox -> AVR -> TV

Now I am looking into buying a new box other then Shield and I was wondering what should I buy that supports my following requirements:
  1. Mandatory: 4K 60
  2. Mandatory: Passthrough Dolby Atmos over TrueHD
  3. Mandatory: Passthrough DTSHD-MA w/DTS:X
  4. Mandatory: HDR+ & Dolby Vision (all profiles or as close as possible that is available)
  5. Optional: IMAX Enhanced support {DTS:X Profile 2} (for Disney+ & for Kodi future proof that Box won't limit me when Kodi supports it)
  6. Optional: Aero 3D Support (for Kodi future proof that Box won't limit me)
  7. Optional: Adjust refresh rate "On start/stop" (Kodi settings I need the Box to honor and execute. My TV supports it as it worked well on my Shield -> AVR -> TV)
  8. Mandatory: 1 Gb Ethernet port (I don't use WiFi so i don't care about WiFi support Level)
  9. Optional: VPN Client installation Support (NordVPN, etc.)
  10. Mandatory: Widevine L1
  11. Mandatory: Netflix/Disney+ full capability Support on the highest available content at their platform (Video/Sound) without the TVBox limiting me.
  • Mandatory = Must have
  • Optional = Nice to have

Shield 2019 Pro supports most of those things I listed but I want to explore other new TV box options as it is 5 years old now this box/tech..

Any suggestion?
Wanting to use Kodi and points 11 and 12 pretty much limits you to just getting another Shield.
(Whoops..meant points 10 and 11)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
IMAX Signature Sound by DTS on Disney+ is not available on any external streamer as it is only available on certain TVs that can decode its DTS:X profile 2(lossy) signal. The Shield TV Pro still checks most of the other boxes compared to other streamers save for HDR10+. There is currently no streamer on the market that can do it all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis