V

vukyone

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

have a project (also to find under vukyone.com --> My Projects) and need some help / feedback / exchange ...

-----------------------------------------------------
Requirements (Min)
  • Data-Storage
    • Cloud & Local
  • Back Up
    • Cloud & Local
  • CPU-Cores
  • WLAN
    • WI-FI 6 / Bluetooth v.5.0
    • stable 90 Mb per second download speed for Full 4k BluRay Stream
  • LAN
    • 1 GB
  • RAM
    • 16 GB DDR 4 @ 3000Mhz
  • SDD-Read-Speed
    • 6000 MB/s
  • Max-Size
    • yATX
Actual Status
  • Components research is done
  • Build is coming until 06/2023
  • Open Points:
    • Operation Systems (Linux ?, Windows ?, …)
    • Install an additional HighEnd-SoundCard (RME HDSPe AIO Pro or ADI-2 DAC ?)
    • Install an additional DSP-PlugIn (Dirac Live ?) for Room & Speaker Correction
    • Install an additional Software for the Turntable SetUp (Adjust+ from Dr. Feickert ?)
    • 3D Prints for Case-Design
    • 2 Versions, one Low / one High Budget Set Up ?
CPU: Intel® Core i5-12400, 6C/12T, 2.50-4.40Ghz

GPU: Intel® UHD Graphics 730

Mainboard: ASUS Prime B660M-A WIFI D4

RAM: 16 GB of G.Skill Aegis DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000, CL16-18-18-38

HDD: 4x (Seagate IronWolf +Rescue 12TB, SATA 6Gb/s) for Raid setup

SDD: Corsair Force Series MP600 Pro XT 2TB, M.2

LAN: Intel® 1GB

WLAN: WI-FI 6 & Bluetooth v5.2

Case: Streacom FC10 Alpha Optical silver, with CPU-Cooler

CPU-Cooler: Xilence I404T (OPTIONAL)

Case Fans: Arctic BioniX P120 PWM PST (3x)

Power-Device: Streacom Fanless 240W Flex-ATX

Sound Card: Realtek 7.1, up to 24/192 (ALC 897)

Audio-Player: Roon Player

Video-Player: VLC

DBMS: SQL-Developer

Cloud-Data-Storage: Dropbox

Cloud–Database: Google Cloud DB ( … Musik-DB, Postgres DB – Migration !? … )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some adds:
It is an All In One Build, PC-Cooling is passiv with the selected Case, HDD is a must, SSD Storage a plus, but not cheap .... but you get the silent !?
The server musst be pretty, because the location is main Video-Room (connection HDMI / optical for Audio) near by the HiFi-Maschine ... my wife must be calm with it ...

Thanks and Greetings

Vule
------------------------
vukyone.com

Attachments

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Linux, run Kodi and if your going to stream to others Plex.

Also if your going to stream to others Id consider another GPU. That on board may have some limitation to more than one user.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like you're waaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking and overengineering this. Split this into two simple pieces a media client and a storage server.
That blog is chock-full of great info on building DIY audio gear.
It won't hurt you to read the crap out of his postings.

V

vukyone

Audiophyte
Linux, run Kodi and if your going to stream to others Plex.

Also if your going to stream to others Id consider another GPU. That on board may have some limitation to more than one user.
Thanks for the Input ...

V

vukyone

Audiophyte
It sounds like you're waaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking and overengineering this. Split this into two simple pieces a media client and a storage server.
That blog is chock-full of great info on building DIY audio gear.
It won't hurt you to read the crap out of his postings.
Will do and thanks for the ideas !

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you haven't looked into Plex... it is amazing.

I was hung up, for years, on a direct to my TV solution, but found that headaches were just killing me. Some things works, others didn't, and it needed a fair bit of tweaking to get it all working right.

Took me thirty minutes to install Plex on an existing Windows PC, and it worked perfectly for several years. I recently upgraded to a newer Windows PC with a dedicated graphics card, and I will say it has changed nothing... It still works perfectly.

Every now and then it gets a title wrong, so I go in and fix it. That's about the sum total of my headaches.

I watch the content using Roku Ultra players in my home (or Apple TV) and have family that watches outside the house on various devices from Macs to iPhone to various smart TVs across the country. For pure quality, I might opt for a nVidia Shield TV Pro.

V

vukyone

Audiophyte
If you haven't looked into Plex... it is amazing.

I was hung up, for years, on a direct to my TV solution, but found that headaches were just killing me. Some things works, others didn't, and it needed a fair bit of tweaking to get it all working right.

Took me thirty minutes to install Plex on an existing Windows PC, and it worked perfectly for several years. I recently upgraded to a newer Windows PC with a dedicated graphics card, and I will say it has changed nothing... It still works perfectly.

Every now and then it gets a title wrong, so I go in and fix it. That's about the sum total of my headaches.

I watch the content using Roku Ultra players in my home (or Apple TV) and have family that watches outside the house on various devices from Macs to iPhone to various smart TVs across the country. For pure quality, I might opt for a nVidia Shield TV Pro.
Hi and thanks, will test Plex and other Apps, must get an overview. To many Soft / Hardware possibilities ... a jungle and playground .... what is really cool, is the power of the Plug Ins, I use Wavelab for Audio reconstruction, a bomb and easy ...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hi and thanks, will test Plex and other Apps, must get an overview. To many Soft / Hardware possibilities ... a jungle and playground .... what is really cool, is the power of the Plug Ins, I use Wavelab for Audio reconstruction, a bomb and easy ...
Really, there aren't that many options. They're all similar in what they do, you just have to make a list of requirements and see what software and hardware meet those requirements.

Reading your requirements, you don't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary that a decent server OS can handle.

I use unraid just because it supports everything under the sun. If you need something that is Windows only, create a Windows VM so you don't have to have another box. Between the plugins and dockers available, I'd be surprised if you didn't find everything you needed. My server's main job is Plex, but if you don't like Plex you can use Jellyfin or Emby. Same concept, but different ways of hosting media.

Like I said, it all depends on what you want to do.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You could make it very simple: get a WD My Cloud Pro Series PR4100 NAS. Add hard drives, and Plex will run from the NAS directly, including free hardware transcoding.

D

Dave Raue

Audiophyte
Another vote for Plex. I've used it for years. It installs easily on pretty much any smart TV and PC's. As server I'm running an enterprise-grade box (HP DL380 G7) with Win 10. It's massive overkill, easy to configure RAID however you want (I've got 10TB RAID 1+0), utterly reliable and redundant. You'll want to keep it in a closet and manage remotely. That feeds wired gigabit ethernet to everything. I run 4k streams on multiple devices and it never stutters. A simple, cheap, brute force solution!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, about WD's cloud services... I wouldn't.
While I am no expert in WD My Cloud Pro devices and the article mentions that the hack prevented owners from accessing these devices, I assume they meant remote access, which requires some WD-hosted servers/services.
For purposes of my advice above, this would not be using any remote access, at least not WD's.
The NAS device should still work fine for local network access.
In short, Apples and Oranges - This hack wouldn't affect local access to video files stored on local NAS.

In other news, I won't call WD My Cloud Pro the best possible home NAS, but I do like it somewhat for its relatively lower pricing and free Plex hardware transcode support.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
Right, my point is that these things have problems and storage manufacturer's cloud services aren't likely to be great.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Right, my point is that these things have problems and storage manufacturer's cloud services aren't likely to be great.
To be 100% honest, all home NAS devices aren't that great. Synology has quality decent software but ships 5-7 years old hardware. Qnap has much newer and more powerful hardware, but the software is POS.
Buffalo, Asustore, TerraMaster, and WD - are all tiny niche brands (for home NAS devices)
Drobo filed Chapter 11, not that I'd seriously consider them ever. Too bad iXSystems/Truenas doesn't yet have a mini system based on Intel CPU with on-board GPU - which is required for hardware transcoding. Also, their most basic driverless Mini E system over $1k doesn't exactly scream value. For comparison, with nearly 2x CPU power and similar drives/SSD specs - Qnap's TS-453E-8g-us is $400 cheaper.

Last edited:
ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
There's really no such thing as good prosumer storage, agreed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis