adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hmmm, Apparently jinjuku is right - Looks like WD did disable this about a year ago. So no more tler enabling on the new drives. The extra $150 for the tler seems like pretty hefty price to pay :(

I wonder how long till hardware raid controllers will support tler-less drives ? :eek:
Yup this was what I found also which is what prompted my return before it was too late. I didn't want to take one out of the package and not have it work. With storage prices being so low for consumers they are probably trying to make up for it by keeping the enterprise stuff way higher in price.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm, Apparently jinjuku is right - Looks like WD did disable this about a year ago. So no more tler enabling on the new drives. The extra $150 for the tler seems like pretty hefty price to pay :(

I wonder how long till hardware raid controllers will support tler-less drives ? :eek:
This was most likely a marketing move more than anything. WD has always had their RE ad RE2 series drives for RAID, but there was little incentive to purchase them as they are always 20% more expensive or better with little performance/reliability gain over their cheaper versions. I knew it was a sad day for hardware buffs when all this green crap started coming out.......

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This was most likely a marketing move more than anything. WD has always had their RE ad RE2 series drives for RAID, but there was little incentive to purchase them as they are always 20% more expensive or better with little performance/reliability gain over their cheaper versions. I knew it was a sad day for hardware buffs when all this green crap started coming out.......
Well, I dug out a bit more info... Being cautiously optimistic about option to enable "tler" or ERC (Error Recovery Control) on other than WD drives:
http://hdat2.getphpbb.com/hdat2-common-f3/wd-tler-samsung-cctl-seagate-erc-t186.html
http://forum.hddguru.com/samsung-cctl-seagate-erc-tler-t11630.html
http://www.hdat2.com/

Particularly Samsung HD154UI might be a good candidate.. Maybe I could get one for work

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The feedback from users say they are using them in RAID applications. I cannot for the life of me figure out how I missed this drive when I was looking for options.:confused: Oh well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What about the WD AV drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136494

They are pretty much stated to be used with Media Servers right in the blurb.
These are basically same as regular green drives (aka SLOW), except guaranteed much longer MTBF (basically good for 24/7 operation) however they still miss tler feature required for hardware raid controllers...
Several folks at newegg reviewers seems like already experienced tler-less related issues with raid configs (two drives fail as the same time = tler errors, not real disk fails)

Pros: I like the specs; I bought it because it was supposed to handle lots of heat and had a 5 year warranty. Perfect for my data center backup server!

Cons: Not reliable. I had 4 of them in a RAID 5 setup and two of them died at the same time. :(

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have just done my first BR rips to the serve with a couple of different methods and formats. I am testing out the best way to get "movie only" rips and get rid of trailers, br live and possibly other languages.

I used the first Potter Movie for my test.

MakeMKV

Video: Main 34 chapters
Sound: DD and LPCM and dump the subtitles.
Process Time: 43 minutes
File size: 25.5GB
File Type: MKV

AnyDVD

Used AnyDVD Ripper
Full Disk
Size: 29.7GB
Process Time: ~50 minutes
File Type: BDMV

Clown BD - Create movie only BDMV

*Must rip with AnyDVD first will not pull movie from disk.
Video: Main 34 chapters No BD live or complex menu
Sound: DD and LPCM and dump the subtitles.
Process Time: 43 minutes
File size: 25.5GB
File Type: BDMV

So the outputs from MakeMKV and Clown BD are the same size but the final output of Clown gives you the BDMV folder structure. The big bummer is that it will take 2x longer to do the complete process to get "movie only" versions. This one saved about 4 GB which could give me one more movie for every 4-5 I rip. I think that will be worth it in the long run.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use DVDFab 8 every single time to get just the main BD movie.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So much hassle to make a legal backup from legally owned movie ...
I wish were an easier way... :rolleyes:

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I use DVDFab 8 every single time to get just the main BD movie.
I tried DVDFab's free trial and it would not read my BR drive. Not sure why and I had others that worked so I didn't pursue why.

So much hassle to make a legal backup from legally owned movie ...
I wish were an easier way... :rolleyes:
You and me too. At this moment I'm happy it can be done. After my 20th time doing this I'll be wishing for an easier way.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I tried DVDFab's free trial and it would not read my BR drive. Not sure why and I had others that worked so I didn't pursue why.

You and me too. At this moment I'm happy it can be done. After my 20th time doing this I'll be wishing for an easier way.
Clown_BD has a batch job ability....I never really tried it out though. Its worth a try if you have a LOT of BD's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm...I've ripped about 200+ BDs using DVDFab BD.

I've never had an issue with DVDFab not reading any of my 3 BD drives.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hmm...I've ripped about 200+ BDs using DVDFab BD.

I've never had an issue with DVDFab not reading any of my 3 BD drives.
I'm sure it would be simple fix on my part I just did not have the patience to deal with it. Also the recommended software I use with Clown BD is anydvd so I'll probably just go that route and buy AnyDVD over DVDFab. I still have time in the free trial so I may work with it over the weekend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure it would be simple fix on my part I just did not have the patience to deal with it. Also the recommended software I use with Clown BD is anydvd so I'll probably just go that route and buy AnyDVD over DVDFab. I still have time in the free trial so I may work with it over the weekend.
So you have never actually had the chance to rip a BD using DVDFab?

I've used AnyDVD + Clown BD before for 1+ yr - it was before DVDFab came out with the BD ripper.

In my experience, for ripping just the main movie title, main soundtrack, etc., nothing is more simple to me than DVDFab.

You don't have to use AnyDVD + BD Clown or any other software just to get the main movie title.

DVDFab is the single-source solution.

Another thing I've noticed while using AnyDVD & Clown BD was that I had issues with video-audo lip-sync in quite a few movies! I bugged the heck out of me!

But I have never had a single issue with lip-sync using DVDFab.

On top of all that, DVDFab is a lot cheaper than AnyDVD! The lifetime price I paid for DVDFab is like $50. I believe AnyDVD is a lot more expensive.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have emailed DVDFab with my issues of not reading any Blu-rays from disk. I hope they will let me know what the issue is. I can read the disk with all the other software and DVDFab will read the BR's I've copied to my hard drive but nothing from the optical drive.

I've also quieted this down to a decent level. The box originally came with 3 80mm fans that just had molex connectors and sounded like a jet. I put two 60mm of these temp sensing fans in the back and replaced the 3 80mm with two of these with speed controls.

I will keep an eye on the inside temps to make sure it stays cool but this should do it.:)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My C-200 just arrived.:D

Here are a couple pics of the outside. I will take some pics of the inside when I put a hard drive in it later.

Front:

Back:

Seems fairly well built with decent heft. The best news is my wife will be away tonight at a conference so I will be free to set this up with no distractions.;)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Did you get YAMJ built already?
No. I have been (slowly) ripping movies and working on hardware. I was kind of hedging my bets with the new NMJ coming out soon. I was not sure if that would be "better" than using YAMJ or not.

So should I still install the NMT applications (I'm using a 2.5 60 GB drive) even if I'm going to use YAMJ?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
No. I have been (slowly) ripping movies and working on hardware. I was kind of hedging my bets with the new NMJ coming out soon. I was not sure if that would be "better" than using YAMJ or not.

So should I still install the NMT applications (I'm using a 2.5 60 GB drive) even if I'm going to use YAMJ?
I'm a PCH 200 series beta tester so I get all the stuff early. I have been testing NMJ for several months now and at this point it does not a YAMJ replacement make. It has a LOT of potential but is not very customizable at the moment and its still not very stable.

I sent you a PM with further details.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis