Me too - Help with Atmos and SVS Elevation Speaker placement

H

HI-Filootin'

Audiophyte
I am moving from a 7.1 Dolby Digital set up to a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up.
I have a Long room with a hallway off the left side where the carpet ends.
Same location: Speakers (Front)Paradigm Studio Reference 100 v4, Speakers (Center)Paradigm Studio Reference CC-590 v4
Speakers (Sub)ParadigmServo 15

New Location/New
Speakers (Surround)ParadigmStudio Reference ADP-590 v.4, Speakers (Rear) SVSPrime Elevation
I want to move my side surrounds (76" from Fireplace in pic, 75" high.) to just behind the sitting position (see pic) above the light switch as close as possible to the door frame. Height 57"
My new Speakers (Rear) SVSPrime Elevation are at ear height.

The red arrows in pic point to my best guess for SVS prime elevation as height speakers. I think my room is too long for a front/rear placement.
One wrinkle is the dashed line shows an area where my ceiling drops 10H" x 21w" to hide a cold air return.

Questions:
Are mounting my for SVS prime elevation speakers as height speakers the way to go?
Any suggestions for a better mounting locations, or does that location appear reasonable?
I plan on mounting my SVS prime elevation rear height speakers against the wall, 10 inches below ceiling height due to the location under the cold air return on the left wall.
Would I mount the companion speaker on the other side of the room at the same level or 10 inches higher in the corner between the ceiling and the wall?
Should I mount all 4 height speakers at ceiling height, which would put them 21 inches closer to the listener on the left side?
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

H

HI-Filootin'

Audiophyte
That was roughly my conclusion, go for height over wall placement.
The height speakers on the left side will be inward, but roughly match the recommended height x .7 width as in the Dolby Atmos set up instructions. No indent on the Right side of the ceiling, so the speakers will be at the wall/ceiling boundary.
Side surround is moved to 44", as close to listening height as I could get it.

1571455134230.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In general, for .4 Atmos, you want Top Front and Top Rear placement. They do not need to be specific to the mm when it comes to placement...
We all have imperfect rooms and have to do the best with what we have!
You have a good amount of space to work with. But according to the image in your original post, your placements are WAY off of ideal for those two locations.It also seems like your seating is super close to the front wall.

Perhaps, please detail in measurement alone, Width between L/R main and Distance to LP. Compare that to the Dolby specs for 7.1.4 set up. If you move the Elevtion speaker to the side wall, in the spirit of maintaining the "intended geometry" of separation between Atmos Layer and Bed Layer, as well as staying as close as possible to the distances for the Atmos speakers from the LP, I think you will be fine.

My personal approach: I like a more isosceles triangle for LP to Main Speaker placement. Once you have that settled To Your Liking: set the Surrounds and Rears as recommended by Dolby, or as close to it as you can. Surounds should be slightly behind LP by ~10º and slightly above ear level. Rears should be clser together than your mains, and behind you at the same level as the surrounds. IIRC, Top Fronts should be in front of the LP by a few feet, but not as far forward as your mains. Top Rears should be behind LP by the same distance, and not lined up with either your rears or Surrounds.
The Separation of channels is what helps give the effect. ;)

Again, using your first post image: I would move LP back a little, move Top Front closer to New LP According to Dolby Spec. I would Move Top Rear Closer to LP according to Dolbe Speac, and move rear surround slightly closer together (and not in line with the Mains.)

Hope that makes sense and helps out some!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis