MCM Custom Audio 50-908 5.0 Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When getting into the home theater game, the biggest stumbling block for early adopters is price. The MCM Custom Audio 50-908 speakers consist of the 50-9085 bookshelf speakers and the 50-9080 center channel. As an entry level speaker, the MCM Custom Audio 50-908's blew me away. While they are obviously limited by their price point, what they do manage to do is overperform. For just over $100 you can have a 5.0 system that will not only introduce you to surround sound but not break the bank at the same time.

Discuss "MCM Custom Audio 50-908 5.0 Speaker System Review" here. Read the article.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Hi Tom,

I was actually looking for a more expensive system myself (But, I was gonna do only 3.1 system). But, now, I saw this review and I was wondering that if I buy '3' bookshelf (bookshelf for center channel too), is that a good idea (for only 110 bucks), and then, maybe I can use them for 'rear' channel speakers later on when I am more sure about what exact speakers I want for the LCR Fronts?.

And I was also planning to buy SVS PB12-NSD for the sub. As always, this is my ongoing thread for my HT setup.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52260

Thank you.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This speaker system wins the Audioholics award for least expensive system ever reviewed! Regardless of the economy, there are no excuses for people on a shoestring budget NOT to get into hometheater with these babies :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I have a older couple who live across the street and these would be perfest for them. I will show her this tomorrow..Thanks Tom....

Matt34

Matt34

I'm going to pick these up as computer speakers but can anyone vouch for the website you order them from?

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Hi Tom,

I was actually looking for a more expensive system myself (But, I was gonna do only 3.1 system). But, now, I saw this review and I was wondering that if I buy '3' bookshelf (bookshelf for center channel too), is that a good idea (for only 110 bucks), and then, maybe I can use them for 'rear' channel speakers later on when I am more sure about what exact speakers I want for the LCR Fronts?
That's a great idea. That is exactly how I got into audio - buy cheap first then upgrade and move to the back. When the second upgrade comes around you move to the office/bedroom/kids room/whatever or you give them to a friend. Of course, this is the EXACT way people catch Audioholicism.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Tom,

Thank you for your reply. That makes my decision easier. I have one question.

Do you think SVS sub woofers are maybe a little overpriced? I noticed sarcasm in one of your older threads(I am going thru all of them as we speak), when you mention SVS subs. The only reason I ask is that I have a really big and open living room (350 sqft atleast and open space all around), and I was suggested SVS PB12-NSD, but, I am rethinking it because of your comments in a couple of AVRants. But, then, again, I could be hearing things.

Maybe there is a better bang for the buck subs out there that I am NOT thinking of?

Thank you.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Tom,

Thank you for your reply. That makes my decision easier. I have one question.

Do you think SVS sub woofers are maybe a little overpriced? I noticed sarcasm in one of your older threads(I am going thru all of them as we speak), when you mention SVS subs. The only reason I ask is that I have a really big and open living room (350 sqft atleast and open space all around), and I was suggested SVS PB12-NSD, but, I am rethinking it because of your comments in a couple of AVRants. But, then, again, I could be hearing things.

Maybe there is a better bang for the buck subs out there that I am NOT thinking of?

Thank you.
If your going with this MCM speaker package, I'd stongly encourage you to consider 2 of the tsC ASW-8 subwoofers. They are small compact and powerful and super cheap. I was floored by their performance and they would be a perfect fit for these speakers:

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW-8-8-Subwoofer-P61C17.aspx

SVS are nice subs too but IMO overkill for little systems such as these.

Matt34

Matt34

If your going with this MCM speaker package, I'd stongly encourage you to consider 2 of the tsC ASW-8 subwoofers. They are small compact and powerful and super cheap. I was floored by their performance and they would be a perfect fit for these speakers:

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW-8-8-Subwoofer-P61C17.aspx

SVS are nice subs too but IMO overkill for little systems such as these.
Yup those are great little subs, I have no regrets with the two I bought.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
"Matt34"
I don't believe anyone answered your question about MCM Electronics and their reputation as a vendor. I have been ordering electronic components, cables, and some audio/video gear from them for over 10 years. Most of it for work, but quite a bit for family who wanted inexpensive, but decent, HT setups. In 10 years, I only had one issue with an order received and customer service fixed it immediately - no questions asked. A warning though :D their monthly sales flyers can cost you some money ! :)

Matt34

Matt34

"Matt34"
I don't believe anyone answered your question about MCM Electronics and their reputation as a vendor. I have been ordering electronic components, cables, and some audio/video gear from them for over 10 years. Most of it for work, but quite a bit for family who wanted inexpensive, but decent, HT setups. In 10 years, I only had one issue with an order received and customer service fixed it immediately - no questions asked. A warning though :D their monthly sales flyers can cost you some money ! :)
Great to hear, thanks for the info!

J

jrcorwin

Enthusiast
I'm trying to find out how much each of the bookshelf speakers weigh. 5lbs each?

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Tom and Gene,

Thank you for the speaker review. I bought the whole set. I am going to borrow a friends dinky old 'sony' receiver (from a htib) and hook them up and see how they play. Still waiting to buy a receiver....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Tom and Gene,

Thank you for the speaker review. I bought the whole set. I am going to borrow a friends dinky old 'sony' receiver (from a htib) and hook them up and see how they play. Still waiting to buy a receiver....
Cool please write up a review on this forum when you get a chance. Hope you like em.

thgill

thgill

Audiophyte
Hiya gang!

I have been looking for an inexpensive HT speaker set for my apartment and curious how these speakers stack up in comparison to the speakers in most of the Onkyo HTIB systems. Would these be higher quality than those, or similiar overall?

todd

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I have this whole set and I can tell you that the 105 dollars you pay for the whole 5 speaker system is totally worth it. I am just a beginner though. But, for 105.00, I can tell you, you won't be making a mistake.

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
I suspect that at this price level this speakers are just about as good or may be surpassed by a "white van" models. Good deal is great but don't we all know that you get what you pay for? I cannot stop seeing "blew me away", "great for the money" and so on. Call the things what they are.

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
I suspect that at this price level this speakers are just about as good or may be surpassed by a "white van" models. Good deal is great but don't we all know that you get what you pay for? I cannot stop seeing "blew me away", "great for the money" and so on. Call the things what they are.
Just because they are extremely budget friendly speakers. Does not mean that they are crap. Obviously they aren't going to sound superb, but for $40 a pair, could you expect any better?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis