Mcintosh Receivers and Amps

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I noticed some Mcintosh Pre-Amps and Amps for sale locally and they cost way more than I would like to spend. My initial feeling is that they are beautiful. But if my processor is in a cabinet and my AMPS hidden as they are now (Denon 4700 and Monolith/Outlaw AMPS) then I wouldn't take advantage of the beauty of these.

So, got me thinking for the price these cost (probably $10-20K for the combo, what would I really be getting in terms of sound quality/room correction that is superior to my Denon setup? My theory is that once you get your room dialed in then I don't know how much difference there will be assuming a quailty AVR/preamp. I think the differenciator these days might be room correction or how easy it is to get to that point.

Below are the models I was looking at and they seem great. But still..Anyone have experience with these compared to the more common Denon, Sony, Marantz mid to upper level models?

McIntosh MX-170
Mcintosh Mc207

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I feel like this is impossible to justify in any rational way. You don't necessarily buy McIntosh because it's better, you buy it because it's what you want

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have any experience with Mac receivers but I think they should perform as well as the Denon, Yamaha etc.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yes and keep in mind I don't plan to buy these unless I fell into them. I'm just curious if they offer a sound that is next level or just look real nice and are built well.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"So, got me thinking for the price these cost (probably $10-20K for the combo, what would I really be getting in terms of sound quality/room correction that is superior to my Denon setup?"

Nothing. The equipment you have is already awesome and competent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed some Mcintosh Pre-Amps and Amps for sale locally and they cost way more than I would like to spend. My initial feeling is that they are beautiful. But if my processor is in a cabinet and my AMPS hidden as they are now (Denon 4700 and Monolith/Outlaw AMPS) then I wouldn't take advantage of the beauty of these.

So, got me thinking for the price these cost (probably $10-20K for the combo, what would I really be getting in terms of sound quality/room correction that is superior to my Denon setup? My theory is that once you get your room dialed in then I don't know how much difference there will be assuming a quailty AVR/preamp. I think the differenciator these days might be room correction or how easy it is to get to that point.

Below are the models I was looking at and they seem great. But still..Anyone have experience with these compared to the more common Denon, Sony, Marantz mid to upper level models?

McIntosh MX-170
Mcintosh Mc207
I wanted to read up on the MC170 but only found the $15.5K MC180. For that kind of money, I think the AV10 and the AVM90 are much better value and will have better chance of better sound quality especially that AV10, because of DLBC and 4 independent sub outs.

Without using RC, sound quality for those excellent AVPs will be practically the same, depending on your speakers and room.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes and keep in mind I don't plan to buy these unless I fell into them. I'm just curious if they offer a sound that is next level or just look real nice and are built well.
Part of it is status. Having said that though, historically MAC gear has had superb build quality and been known for reliability. If there have been problems their after sales service has been exemplary. I have not owned, Mac but known those who have.

I will say that I think the other manufacturers need to spec higher grade components and give much better after sales service.

If you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with choosing Mac electronics.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sound quality wise, I would say that the McIntosh doesn’t sound better. Likely less than the newer AVP’s.

What you might get is pride of ownership and resale value - assuming they don’t malfunction a few years later, which is always a risk of older electronics.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Part of it is status. Having said that though, historically MAC gear has had superb build quality and been known for reliability. If there have been problems their after sales service has been exemplary. I have not owned, Mac but known those who have.

I will say that I think the other manufacturers need to spec higher grade components and give much better after sales service.

If you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with choosing Mac electronics.
I agree with you about pride, reliability, build quality, support, and resale valut but he specifically asked about sound quality, to the "next level" that I assume he meant audibly much better. On that, I would say no, and I had auditioned Mc amps paired with very expensive speakers many times.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I figure you are all right. I think it's interesting though. They look great with the glass front. I think there is an opportunity for someone to upgrade the asthetics /display perhaps of their AVR/Processor and I do believe it could pay off.

I kind of feel Anthem/Arcam has taken advantage of that. I admit that the Anthem display which is probably very simple to implement made me curious about those especially with good reports on their performance.

I think it's an opportunity that Sony just missed launching a new line that looks exactly like the models that I have. They look nice but they could have done something unique to stand out. Oh well. Like I said, my 4700 is in a cabinet (with cooling :) ) So I can see it but just barely. On the other hand my upstairs setup is in a stand that has an open front so those are part of the asthetics of the room. Mcintosh would look cool there! If anyone wants to give me the $15K to get some then I'd be glad to test it out... Just kidding

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I think most modern gear looks anonymous at best or garish at worst, but at least with McIntosh you're getting something instantly recognizable (and classy) for the money. Not really worth it to me, but I can see the appeal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish Yamaha would make their AVR, AVP, and AMP look like these:

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
As far as McIntosh goes, get one of their clocks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis