• Thread starter Flathead31coupe
  • Start date
F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
i just received my mc2255 yesterday in the original box undamaged.hooked it up to my kenwood kc-x1 per amp, i noticed that i have to turn the gains on the amp almost all the way up, and have to turn the pre amp twice as loud as before .. sounds great just wondering if this is normal. since i dont have a closer matched pre amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the amp has gain controls that's what they're there for, what happens with the gain set to full? Not a wrong thing, just an adjustment to the output of your pre-amp...which appears to be an integrated amp when I look it up (but has pre-out spec of 1.2V). What is an MC 2255? That a McIntosh MC225?

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
If the amp has gain controls that's what they're there for, what happens with the gain set to full? Not a wrong thing, just an adjustment to the output of your pre-amp...which appears to be an integrated amp when I look it up (but has pre-out spec of 1.2V). What is an MC 2255? That a McIntosh MC225?

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
yes its a mcintosh mc2255 it has a setting of .75 or 2.5 i have it set for 2.5

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
i had been using a matched amp a kc-x1 for many years until i just got the mac. iam using the front speakers tap on the pre amp and have the mac set to the 2.5 input sensitivity

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
i had been using a matched amp a kc-x1 for many years until i just got the mac. iam using the front speakers tap on the pre amp and have the mac set to the 2.5 input sensitivity
Which ohm tap on the mac? You can set the input sensitivity to .775 on the mac and keep the gain on the mac all the way up. I owned that amp for 30 years. Was built like a tank.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
iam using the 4 ohm taps thats what the rating is for my cerwin vega at-15 are.and input switched to the 2.5

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the .75V setting would be more appropriate for a pre-amp rated at 1.2V than the 2.5V setting....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which ohm tap on the mac? You can set the input sensitivity to .775 on the mac and keep the gain on the mac all the way up. I owned that amp for 30 years. Was built like a tank.
Might not need gain all the way up at .775V, tho. Especially if any noise is noticed.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
Yes, the .75V setting would be more appropriate for a pre-amp rated at 1.2V than the 2.5V setting....
ok ill give it a try...also will i get the most out of the mac if i get a matching mac preamp

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
i ment to ask both of you the question on the difference in getting a matching mac preamp over the one iam using now...and thanks to both of you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, technically you don't have a pre-amp, just an integrated amp from what I could see in the manual for that model number. So if you want the "purity" of true separates, get a dedicated pre-amp. Personally I've used various pre-amps and as long as your amp works with it's output, don't see a lot of point to getting a different one, even if it is an integrated amp with a pre-out. I would assume a McIntosh pre-amp would be suitable for their amps.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
Well, technically you don't have a pre-amp, just an integrated amp from what I could see in the manual for that model number. So if you want the "purity" of true separates, get a dedicated pre-amp. Personally I've used various pre-amps and as long as your amp works with it's output, don't see a lot of point to getting a different one, even if it is an integrated amp with a pre-out. I would assume a McIntosh pre-amp would be suitable for their amps.
it uses the km-x1 separate amp..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis