MB Quart QLS 830 vs Sierra Tower

V

VonHess

Audiophyte
I have a pair of MB Quart QLS 830s that I really like. The research on these is that they were very underrated and undermarketed when they came out around 2003. The same design is being sold by the remnants of MB quart called German Maesto for 4 or 5 times the price that the 830s can be had today. I got mine at a very good price and there are still new old stock units available. The consensus seems to be that these speakers are a steal for the quality of build and sound compared to more expensive current models. I have also read the rave reviews on the Sierra Towers. I am thinking about another set of towers to complete a HT setup. I am wondering if anyone has heard the MB Quarts and the Sierra towers and how the two compare. Are the Sierra towers that much better to justify paying 3 times as much?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are the Sierra towers that much better to justify paying 3 times as much?
I doubt it. It's a matter of very subjective opinion and personal preference.

I think the Sierra towers cost more to make and have higher quality components. But I doubt they actually sound twice as good, especially if you already love the sound of the MB Quart.

Are you thinking of using 2 different brands to make one HT system (complete it)?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are the Sierra towers that much better to justify paying 3 times as much?
That is a very difficult question! First off, I think we know that the Seirra's won't be 3 times better (as if we can actually quantify "better" in any precise way). But lets assume we can actually quantify better with precision...
How much better would the speakers need to be to justify the added cost? If they were 15% better, would you pay 3 times as much? Lots of people would and lots of people wouldn't!
The thing is, only you can decide what a dollar is worth to you and what a SQ improvement is worth. And that is really the right way to decide - get the speakers in your house and listen. Ascend has a free trial period, but you end up paying return shipping which could add up for floor-standing speakers.

I don't know how flexible you are, but SVS will pay return shipping if you don't like their speakers, so it is a truly free opportunity to do a comparison! I have heard their Ultra Bookshelf and it is quite a nice speaker for the money. I would expect their tower to follow suite. These have had very favorable reviews, but have not been out so long as the Sierra's.

TheWarrior did a write-up that covered the Ultra Bookshelf here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bookshelf-speaker-shootout.95335/

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have the Quart 1030s. I have not found a speaker
I like better than mine. I am hanging my hat on the ascends for my next set....probably not going to be for a year or more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis