maybe a stupid question ...

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
How does everyone wire up there tv's ??? Do you go straight from the cable or satellite box (component or HDMI) up to the tv, or do you go coax to the back of your TV, or both ? ... I was thinking that with the TV tuners it would make the picture a bit better less grainy but maybe I'm wrong ?

Thanks in advance :)

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
hd newbie said:
How does everyone wire up there tv's ??? Do you go straight from the cable or satellite box (component or HDMI) up to the tv, or do you go coax to the back of your TV, or both ? ... I was thinking that with the TV tuners it would make the picture a bit better less grainy but maybe I'm wrong ?

Thanks in advance :)
First you experiment between component and HDMI. Sat and Cable systems dont support technically HDMI or DVI so alot of times component works better.
Now solving that, next up is which way to go with cable.Non digital channels, 100 and down for cable, not sure with sat boxes, but still no digital you Y connect to the TV. One lead straight to the antenna input and use that for non digital channels setting the TV to antenna input. For digital you then switch the TV to component or HDMI , depends on which one the last battle. If there is no change going direct on non digital channels, then dont use it.

Also some of Sat boxes and cable boxes have a pass through mode, you can try that using the component/HDMI winner. Pass through does no conversions to the signal and allow the TV to do its thing.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I use a DVI connection from cable box directly to the TV for the video content and use RCA cables from the cable box to the tv for the audio portion. I also run an optical cable from the the cable box to the receiver for the audio content in case I want to hear the audio in 5.1 when it's available for the show I am watching. When watching regular tv I almost always just listen through the TV's speakers.

Nick

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Mine is extra simple cos I haven't gone hi-def yet. From my cable box, I've got S-video and coax audio cable going into my receiver, and from there, component to my TV.

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't even have a cable box....:D Not much of a TV watcher.

If you go directly to your TV, you will not get any of the channels that the cable box decodes, so you will need to have the box in the picture for any channels that are no carried on basic cable. Grainy shouldn't be a problem, the box's job is to decode as well or better than your TV.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I've got my Satellite (non hi-def) and DVD player plugged into my Yami 1400 via component and then component to the TV. The DVD audio is hooked up by Toslink to the receiver. I use an over the air antennae via coax for over the air hi-def (which usually looks better then the satellite) for sports.

bryguy

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I go coax cable to my HD DVR, then out with component to my Denon 3805, then back out of the receiver to the tv via component. I go coax out from the cable box to digital in on the 3805, as well as composite for two channel audio. The composite has a higher s/n ratio as far as audio, so stations 3-99 sound better in two channel audio (even with DSP modes).

I've tried several different cable boxes, and the tuners make all the difference in the world for pq - especially for sd and digital channels. HD boxes for some reason have better tuners for channels 1-149 (all 480i). Obviously the HD channels are excellent as you must use their HD DVR.

If you are leasing a cable or satellite box, you owe it to yourself to make sure you have the latest box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis