T

Tyrant

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>On the back of my Klipsch rf-3II, it reads:

impendance 8ohms
max power input 150 watts

If I wanted to hook up a 2 channel power amp to my existing yamaha rx-v630, does the power amp have to supply150 w/c and less in order not to damage my speakers?

Any and all input would be great!!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Those speakers handle 150watts continuous! 600watts peak. So I would probably seek an amp that had a 150 to 200 watt rating. A little more power is a good thing as long as you watch that volume!

Check out the NAD C272 at Yawaonline!</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>The power rating on any good speaker is almost meaningless, efficiency is more important, how loud is it with a given power level. You can't really have too much power. Distortion is what harms a speaker, distortion causes heat, heat damages the coil. When an amp is driven into clipping it starts to produce distortion. Usually, lower power amps with very little current are the culprit of this. Any decent amp with with 30-watts or higher is going to be fine. You wouldn't want a million watts of course but any well designed amp 30 to 500 watts that is not pushed into clipping will never cause an issue. How your amp is designed is more important then the power rating of your speaker. You are perfectly OK to have a speaker rated at 100-watts and driving it with a 200-watt amp.

I would stay away from speakers that have less than 85db sensitivity at 1 watt 1 meter, unless you have a very powerful and clean amp. Those types of speakers are going to be harder to drive and will cause lesser amps to clip faster. Most decent speakers are well above that.</font>

T

Tyrant

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Actually, these speakers are rated at 98db sensitivity and yeah, I never have to push them hard for a good listening level.Thanx again for the input guys......I'm learning more and more everyday thanx to the members here.Your help is appreciated by this newbie.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Klipsch speakers have always been very efficient, almost any amp will drive them to ear-bleeding levels.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis