matching dual sub, different port configs?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi. Planning on purchasing new matching subs for a long overdue update to my system. I'm totally down with, and mostly understand, the reasons and explanations for why you should match subs, but haven't seen anything really discussing port configurations...

I can assume that the change to frequency drop off, for example, holds true in this situation (as it does where I've seen people ask about pairing, say, an SB-2000 with a PB-2000),but wanted to know if there is any other reasoning, evidence, etc, as to why a person shouldn't alter the port configurations on true matching subs (i.e. one for max headroom and one for max extension)?

Thanks in advance for help and wisdom!

~R

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Typically you want identical subs for multiple reasons. If your mixing different ones, you need an after market product like the behringer dcx to blend them.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Changing the port configurations would essentially be the same thing as using 2 different subs. If you're talking about the svs subs with the port plugs it would be real easy to test and see what you like.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The svs 2000's were just an example... ;) But it sounds like my instinct is correct in this; that by using different port tunings you are effectively creating two different subs.

Which then begs the question (and forgive if this is't necessarily obvious to me), would it be easier to dial in a setup with matching subs/different port tunings? Or at the point where you've fundamentalely changed the performance characteristics of said subs through port tuning... do we straight up go to the comments i've seen before that it requires higher skill and specialized equipment to fix the inherent problems of "non-matching" subs?

Again, my thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The reason why you want to use the same port configurations is because you want the subs to undergo the same kind of stress at the same time. Using one in a deep bass mode and one in a higher output mode means you are left with way more 30 Hz capability than 20 Hz capability. It would be like having a single, badly tuned sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems to me that you’ll also create phase issues around the tuning area of both subs. Combined with various room modes, it’s a recipe for a mell of a Hess of FR.
And what shady said...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis