Matching appropriate BluRay with my new Home Theater

gracilism

gracilism

Audiophyte
I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A820 (great deal on last year's model) and I am pairing it to 5 - 8" Yamaha in ceiling speaker (mid level at best) and a Yamaha 10" front firing sub. Obviously not an audiophile's set-up, but I was just wanting clear sound and an upgrade from TV speakers. That said is a basic BluRay player all I need? Or is the higher end Sony's, Samsung's worthwhile (Oppo is out due to price and probably overkill for my speaker set up). I don't need wireless as I have access to my wired network. Essentially can I get adequate picture and sound quality from a $100 BD or is a $275 BD a worthy upgrade?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you want it to have any other features like being able to stream movies or music?

gracilism

gracilism

Audiophyte
Not necessarily. I thinking about adding a Roku HD device for streaming unless there is a good reason to have the BD player handle that duty. Is BD old tech and is streaming the way to go? Im afraid that streaming would limit the audio for the sake of bandwidth.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In terms of music, I doubt the audio would suffer horribly. I've been streaming music through my computer, phone, and Oppo and it sounds fine. As for streaming movies and TV shows, the audio quality is dependent on how much you want to pay. Netflix and VUDU offer premium streaming of movies and the quality is surprisingly good. The real positive in streaming movies is that the selection is generally much better than what TWC and other cable and satellite companies offer.

Either way, Panasonic offers some really good blu-ray players that will give you just about everything you could want or need regardless of whether you want to go the streaming route. The Roku would offer more in terms of content, but the Pansonic blu-ray players come pretty close and would give you a good starting place to decided if you want the Roku or not.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You can get some amazing picture and sound quality from inexpensive Blu-ray players and, if their built-in streamig options have the sites you need, why buy another box?

Sony has some incredible bargains for around $100 or so. I have two and love 'em both. Wireless is pretty much standard nowadays and doesn't really add much to the cost, but you aren't forced to use it. I think Sony's smallest doesn't have wireless but you may want to check on that.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
There is zero difference in sound or picture based on the unit's price or brand. The manufacturers use OEM manufactured DAC chips and lasers to use in their BD players. The differences lie in features and compatibility with the more obscure CD and DVD encoding schemes. A more expensive unit may be more reliable. It will certainly have more features. But it won't sound better or display a better picture. My two BD players cost $80 and $125 respectively. Both of them have limited network streaming capability but both have Netflix, Pandora, Vudu, Amazon and a handful of others. I'm not much of a streamer so these things aren't as important to me as they might be to you or to someone else. Anything you read from the manufacturers about sound and picture is marketing, not science. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Any Panasonic or Sony BD players would be ok. I've got a NEW Sony BX59(Same model as the 590) refurb off ebay for about 70 bucks about 5 months ago and it does everything pretty well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A820 (great deal on last year's model) and I am pairing it to 5 - 8" Yamaha in ceiling speaker (mid level at best) and a Yamaha 10" front firing sub. Obviously not an audiophile's set-up, but I was just wanting clear sound and an upgrade from TV speakers. That said is a basic BluRay player all I need? Or is the higher end Sony's, Samsung's worthwhile (Oppo is out due to price and probably overkill for my speaker set up). I don't need wireless as I have access to my wired network. Essentially can I get adequate picture and sound quality from a $100 BD or is a $275 BD a worthy upgrade?
Just to add a small point. The industry is at the point where these players are pretty much throw away players. If it breaks you buy a new one, they are so inexpensive. Almost like changing your oil. Actually cleaner ;) :D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Just to add a small point. The industry is at the point where these players are pretty much throw away players. If it breaks you buy a new one, they are so inexpensive. Almost like changing your oil. Actually cleaner ;) :D
That is true of pretty much any piece of electronics that costs about $100 or less. And with electronics, once it gets a few years old, most things become throw away items, even if they were more expensive. Old home theater receivers are not worth much, once they are several years old. On eBay, many people keep relisting their old home theater receivers, because they keep asking more than they are worth. Many people seem to imagine that the price that it cost originally determines its current value, when in fact old units simply do not have the features that most people would want for a modern home theater, so they are not suitable for such use. I have seen the same with crazy prices for used TVs; the price paid 5 years ago is unimportant; what matters is how it compares with current models, and they just keep getting both better and cheaper. (My HDTV, if it were still in the factory sealed box and I were an authorized dealer, would be worth maybe a third of what I paid for it a few years ago, and I got a good price at the time. Used it has very little monetary value [maybe 1/6 of what I paid], though it still works quite well, and is in like new condition. But I have seen crazy people asking for more than half of original retail price on outdated TVs, and they seem surprised when they can't find any buyers!) And think about a 10 year old computer that cost $2000 new. It is almost just trash now.

When one considers a repair, one should think about how much one would pay for such an item if one were buying it, and if the cost of repair is higher than that, one should just buy a new item, and the old one should either be given to someone who wants it as-is to repair themselves, or just take it to be recycled.

Good speakers and power ąmps hold their value much better than TVs, disc players, and home theater receivers. This is because anything that gets outdated loses far more value than something that doesn't.

Anyway, to the OP:

If you are just wanting to play standard BDs and DVDs made for the U.S., I recommend going with a low end Panasonic. You don't need to spend more than about $100 on it. It will give you a good picture and good sound.

The only reason to spend more is if you want some capability or other that the cheap player does not have (e.g., region free, SACD or DVD-Audio playback, etc.). Otherwise, spending more is a waste of money.

If you really have a burning desire to part with more money, start looking at really nice speakers. You can get rid of a lot of money that way, and it can make a significant difference in how your system sounds.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The newest Panasonic model Blu-ray player that replaces the 220 is getting destroyed for reliability. I would go with Sony for that venture as long as you just want a basic BD player with excellent video and audio output to your main TV. No second zone usage. I will add that for $100 that gets you a BD player, don't hang your hat on getting anything approaching a decent media player/streaming device with that purchase point. It's not going to act like a $1,000 PC, or even a $400 PC at playback of streaming content, it's going to act like a $5 add on to a $100 product that someone made a profit on at that price. So, yes, I would get a Roku if that's the additional features you want.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis