MartinLogan New Subwoofers Demo @ Audio Advice Live 2024

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
MartinLogan brought three all-new subwoofer series to Audio Advice Live 2024. Covering a wide range of prices, these new subs all promise precision, value, style, and great build quality. The Dynamo Foundation Series is the entry-level offering, while the Dynamo Series offers upgraded performance and aesthetics. The Abyss Series uses dual passive radiators to squeeze big bass out of small boxes.

B100.jpg

I had a chance to listen to the MartinLogan demo room, which consisted of a pair of Motion XT B100 bookshelf speakers powered by an Anthem STR Integrated Amp, with a pair of Abyss 8 subwoofers providing the bass notes. I came away impressed. Initially, I was sitting in the front row, only about 4 feet from the B100s, and didn't expect good sound. However, what I got was precise imaging and a very wide soundstage with spaciousness from the side walls. The bass was seamlessly integrated, though a bit too energetic in the very low registers (20-25Hz range). MartinLogan told me they purposely did NOT engage Anthem ARC Genesis on the STR Integrated Amp to temper the room modes to give people a sense of how the system would perform in a real room with no EQ, just proper time alignment and bass management.

Read: MartinLogan Subwoofer Overview & Demo Report

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
Wouldn't the Dynamo 12 theoretically extend lower in-room than either of the Abyss subs, since their use of passive radiators necessitates steep high-pass filtering below the passive drivers' tuning?

Either way I hope you get to review some or all of these

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis