MartinLogan Motion 35XTi Bookshelf Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
900x450 f.jpg
Although MartinLogan is best known for their curved electrostatic panel speakers, one of their best-selling speaker lines is the ‘Motion’ series that uses more conventional loudspeaker cabinets. However, in keeping with their preference for flat-panel transducers, MartinLogan did opt to use AMT tweeters in the Motion series. While AMT tweeters have become more common in recent years, the Motion series had been using them as a design distinction for some years now, and MartinLogan was the first major speaker manufacturer to put AMTs in affordable speakers. MartinLogan very recently redesigned their Motion line, and in for review today we have the Motion 35XTi, which is the larger bookshelf speaker in this product line. This beefy bookshelf speaker is the successor to the Motion 35XT and is MartinLogan’s largest and highest-performing bookshelf speaker. And so, with a pair of Motion 35XTi speakers fresh in hand, let’s see what MartinLogan can do in a bookshelf speaker format for $1.3k/pair….

READ:
MartinLogan Motion 35XTi Bookshelf Speaker Review

C

CRASHFIRE

Audiophyte
When will the review of the Motion 60XTi floor speakers be posted? I am most curious to see what y'all have to say about them. I currently own the Motion 60XTs and I really do enjoy them. I also have the 50XT center channel and wish it was a 3-way speaker. While most of the time it does sound good, there are times it lacks in the dialog and separation. As usual, great review and look forward to rest on the series.

-KB

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I really love the look of these speakers. My amp is a marantz that does 6-8ohm. That's the only thing holding me back. Would I be better off just going with def tech bookshelves since I can drive them easier since they are 8ohms and match my amp?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really love the look of these speakers. My amp is a marantz that does 6-8ohm. That's the only thing holding me back. Would I be better off just going with def tech bookshelves since I can drive them easier since they are 8ohms and match my amp?
The 35XTi speakers are basically 6 ohm speakers so your Marantz shouldn't have any problems driving them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're reading too much into a speaker's nominal impedance rating as well as the amps' rated impedance spec, speakers vary in impedance with frequency in any case, amps even when rated only at 6 and 8 can be comfortable enough with 4 ohm loads. Pretty sure your DefTecs spend time well below 8 ohms, and your Marantz can probably do well enough at 4.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Do you think The 50xti will measure about the same ohm wise? I ask because my amp isn't rated for 4ohm and I'd like to get the complete front set.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I think you're reading too much into a speaker's nominal impedance rating as well as the amps' rated impedance spec, speakers vary in impedance with frequency in any case, amps even when rated only at 6 and 8 can be comfortable enough with 4 ohm loads. Pretty sure your DefTecs spend time well below 8 ohms, and your Marantz can probably do well enough at 4.
Thank you I'm sorry for reading too much in to it. Just didn't want my stuff too run too hot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Shady, I find it hard to believe that you did not hear that midrange rise. That type of aberration is usually particularly nasty. It make the strings of the orchestra, the violins in particular steely and hard edged.

Overall this speaker does not seem a well designed speaker. The crossover for one thing is not well implemented.

I highly doubt I could live with those speakers for even a day.

I doubt that the aberration was done on purpose. It seems to me that that bass mid woofer is just not a very good driver more likely than not.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Shady, I find it hard to believe that you did not hear that midrange rise. That type of aberration is usually particularly nasty. It make the strings of the orchestra, the violins in particular steely and hard edged.

Overall this speaker does not seem a well designed speaker. The crossover for one thing is not well implemented.

I doubt that the aberration was done on purpose. It seems to me that that bass mid woofer is just not a very good driver more likely than not.
So you don't recommend this speaker lol? Would it at least be better than a def tech d11 because that's my other choice?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The 35XTi has more presence in the midrange than a flat response, but given the context of the rest of the response, it didn't really stand out to me too much. I actually ended up using these as my desktop speakers for sometime after the review was finished. They didn't bother me at all, and I thought they sounded fine. It could be that they could sound harsh in a recording with a lot of energy in that range.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I really have problems with renowned loudspeaker manufacturers that develop badly designed crossovers, with all the knowledge which was built up over the last 60 years and more. That looks to me similar to what one could get if he used one of those off the shelf crossovers.

Personally, if I had been looking for commercial bookshelf speakers, also considering their asking price, I would have without any hesitation removed these from my list of qualifying products.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Holy crap are these really that bad?
The crossover is flawed, but they are not a bad speaker. Keep in mind these guys are discussing technical imperfections that are apparent on a graph, but hearing them is another matter. I would advise you to go audition a pair, they are pervasive enough that it should be easy to hear a pair at a nearby dealer.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
interesting review as well as the comments posted, all good .............

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So you don't recommend this speaker lol? Would it at least be better than a def tech d11 because that's my other choice?
I'd say there are other options than those two speakers at their retail price.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I'd say there are other options than those two speakers at their retail price.
Yeah I just meant are the demand d11's as bad as these also? I just thought for the price the detail in the treble was the best with these. I'm a big gamer I like hearing every light detail.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
The crossover is flawed, but they are not a bad speaker. Keep in mind these guys are discussing technical imperfections that are apparent on a graph, but hearing them is another matter. I would advise you to go audition a pair, they are pervasive enough that it should be easy to hear a pair at a nearby dealer.
And if you do hear a pair, don't be surprised if the tell-tale sign of that upper midrange, lower treble bump isn't a kind of murky sound that obscures detail, rather than a steely edge to strings. I've modded many speakers to get rid of a hump in that range (including an Emotiva B1), and if anything you have to be careful that you don't end up with too much bite if the modded Xover gives too much prominence to the upper harmonics now that the midrange bump is out of the way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis