MartinLogan Dynamo 600X and Dynamo 1600X Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Five years ago, the MartinLogan Dynamo 1500X left us impressed with its slick looks and high performance for its reasonable size in our review. However, time has passed, and other manufacturers have brought some very tough competitors to market since then. In response to a fierce marketplace, MartinLogan has revamped their Dynamo subwoofer series and has added ingredients that not only keep up with the competition but jumps a step ahead. This summer MartinLogan unveiled their new Dynamo subs which Audioholics was lucky enough to be present at in their unveiling (MartinLogan Revamps Dynamo Subwoofers). As promised in our preview article, here is a full review of two of the new Dynamo subwoofers: the 600X and the 1600X.

Martin-Logan's new Dynamo subwoofers pack as much technology into a small enclosure as modern science will allow, yet still manages to be affordable. The new Dynamo subwoofers use smartphone app control, smartphone app room equalization, and supports a wireless signal receiver, all while improving upon the performance of their predecessors. Read our full combo review of the Dynamo 600X and Dynamo 1600X to get the scoop on Martin-Logan's envelope-pushing reboot of their classic subwoofer series.

READ: MartinLogan Dynamo 600X and Dynamo 1600X Subwoofer Review

B

BRAC

Audiophyte
Great review @shadyJ

I went ahead and grabbed 2 1600x’s yesterday and I’m looking forward to getting them up and running. This was a downsize for me in the sub category, as I moved to these from dual PB13 Ultra’s. The PB13’s were great, but I was unable to run them in extended mode due to my room rattling and vibrating too much. Even with all ports opened I was still getting annoying resonances in my room. It was a distraction to say the least and I’m more of a lower mid bass guy anyway.

One quick question though @shadyJ ...I will be running these off of my Anthem AVM 60 and ARC Genesis, so do you recommend using the movie or music preset, in the 1600x app, for a 100% movie/tv HT? I’m looking for that huge lower mid bass impact, but not overly exaggerated.

I had dual 1500x’s prior to my PB13’s, so I‘m fully aware of what I’m gaining and losing in this swap. The 1500x‘s were already very strong in the mid bass punch, which makes me very excited to hear these 1600x’s! I definitely preferred the mid bass punch of the 1500x’s over my PB13’s. I’m really going to miss that extra tactile sensation that I was getting from the Ultra’s down low however. You win some and you lose some. Lol

Appreciate the feedback.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One quick question though @shadyJ ...I will be running these off of my Anthem AVM 60 and ARC Genesis, so do you recommend using the movie or music preset, in the 1600x app, for a 100% movie/tv HT? I’m looking for that huge lower mid bass impact, but not overly exaggerated.
The movie setting will boost the deeper bass a bit, but the music setting should give you a flatter response. I would just try both and keep whatever setting you prefer. The music setting might place more emphasis on mid-bass.

B

BRAC

Audiophyte
The movie setting will boost the deeper bass a bit, but the music setting should give you a flatter response. I would just try both and keep whatever setting you prefer. The music setting might place more emphasis on mid-bass.
Ok, thank you.

Do you recommend running ARC Genesis in my AVM 60 with the 1600x set to music or movie mode? I’m unsure how to best go about the initial setup and calibration. My HT is for movies and tv only. No music.

The question is...is it best to run ARC in the default ‘flat’ music mode and then have the option to boost the lows with movie mode afterward? Or, is it best to set the 1600x to movie mode and then run ARC? I intend to try it both ways eventually, but it’s not easy to find the quiet time for multiple ARC runs in my house. Lol

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, thank you.

Do you recommend running ARC Genesis in my AVM 60 with the 1600x set to music or movie mode? I’m unsure how to best go about the initial setup and calibration. My HT is for movies and tv only. No music.

The question is...is it best to run ARC in the default ‘flat’ music mode and them have the option to boost the lows with movie mode afterward? Or, is it best to set the 1600x to movie mode and then run ARC? I intend to try it both ways eventually, but it’s not easy to find the quiet time for multiple ARC runs in my house. Lol
I'd refer to the manual(s) for that. I know HSU recommends specific sub settings when running room correction. I would think you'd only do it once... otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose of using different EQ modes if you corrected for each one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok, thank you.

The question is...is it best to run ARC in the default ‘flat’ music mode and them have the option to boost the lows with movie mode afterward? Or, is it best to set the 1600x to movie mode and then run ARC? I intend to try it both ways eventually, but it’s not easy to find the quiet time for multiple ARC runs in my house. Lol
Yeah, I would go with ARC Genesis, it probably uses a better microphone. I don't think it matters whether you calibrate it in movie mode or music mode. ARC is going to go after its target curve either way and will adjust the response accordingly. The sub's modes shouldn't make a difference. They are just equalization curves themselves.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
my entertainment room is approx 3100 cu. feet (23 ft deep, 15 ft wide, 9 ft ceiling), with a 560 cu. ft. kitchenette on one side. Which of these ML subs would be good for that space?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
my entertainment room is approx 3100 cu. feet (23 ft deep, 15 ft wide, 9 ft ceiling), with a 560 cu. ft. kitchenette on one side. Which of these ML subs would be good for that space?
You have a rather large room. I would rather suggest a ported sub and preferably two from SVS, HSU, Monolith. Other members know more about them than I do, But definitely, due to the size of your listening room, you would obtain better performance with ported subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is this for music or movies or both? Are you interested in getting the crazy deep bass from newer movies? What loudness levels do you normally listen at? Do you like to crank the system every once in awhile?

B

BRAC

Audiophyte
I'd refer to the manual(s) for that. I know HSU recommends specific sub settings when running room correction. I would think you'd only do it once... otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose of using different EQ modes if you corrected for each one.
Yeah, I did read the manual cover to cover to see if they mention what settings to use prior to running eq. No help there at all. I did my first ARC run with the 1600x’s in movie mode.The results were pretty good, and actually better than my previous PB13 Ultra’s which were placed in the same exact spots.

I’m thinking that I will go back and do one more ARC run with the subs set in the default music mode. At the very least, having movie mode waiting in reserve gives me a quick ‘boost’ option for those movies that could use a bit more grunt down low.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is this for music or movies or both? Are you interested in getting the crazy deep bass from newer movies? What loudness levels do you normally listen at? Do you like to crank the system every once in awhile?
Both music & movies. I don't turn up the volume really loud very often, maybe once in a blue moon, more concerned about clarity. I was looking at the SVS cylinder subs but they still seem too big at 34" tall. People say I have a rather 'large' room but with furniture, etc, it sure looks small!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both music & movies. I don't turn up the volume really loud very often, maybe once in a blue moon, more concerned about clarity. I was looking at the SVS cylinder subs but they still seem too big at 34" tall. People say I have a rather 'large' room but with furniture, etc, it sure looks small!
The Dynamo 1600x should be pretty good for you. I would also check out the Paradigm Defiance X12 for something that really hammers but is not outrageously large or heavy. Also look at the Hsu ULS-15 mk2 or the SVS SB-3000. Both are high performers but are not huge or extremely heavy.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Shady,

Question on the Dynamo 1500 or 1600. I presently have 2 stacked Klipsch SW115's behind my TV (Maybe 13 feet in front of MLP) and have a original Dynamo (10 inch) nearfield (within 5 feet). I know i'm not supposed to mix ported and sealed but am right now and the style of the dynamo is clean and small and allows me to get that nearfield mid bass in a small package

Since I'm enjoying the Dynamo, why not upgrade right? (I probably should be happy with what I have) Noticed that there is a used 1500 and 1600 for sale. Any thoughts on replacing the smaller dyanmo with one of these and how much would you spend on one that's like new vs. just leaving what I have vs. buying something different. The people selling presently seem like they want more than I care to spend frankly but with a little more time, if they don't get what they want, I'm guessing the price could come down. At a certain price (not new), I feel I might be getting into territory where I'd want to look towards Rythmik, SVS, etc. But these really are nice subs. I'm not sure I care to go much higher than $750 though and that won't get it done for them right now.

My listening is all home theater, streaming shows, etc. No music listening

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The 1500s and 1600s will have a lot more punch. If you want that, sure, look into an upgrade. However, I wouldn't bother if your present setup already has enough dynamic range for what you want. Are you taxing your present sub setup to where you are hitting its limits? If not, upgrading the Dynamo subs isn't going to do anything for you.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, I agree with what you are saying. Probably one of those things where it might make sense if I get a smoking deal. Otherwise might not be worth the trouble

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Shady would you compare these to the Seaton subversive ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady would you compare these to the Seaton subversive ?
I can only guess since there is no hard data on the Submersives. I'm guessing that the Submersives use drivers with a somewhat higher Xmax so they might be a bit more comfortable in deep bass. A Submersive may offer comparable mid-bass output to maybe two of the Dynamo X1600s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis