Marrantz Sr 6011 Receiver causes hum in all speakers

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the scene!
I finished setting up a used Marantz Sr6011 in a 9.2 and set up all connections and did the sound adjustment with the microphone.
Afterwards I notice that when I'm close to a speaker I hear a humming noise from all speaker when there is no audio playing.
Adjusting volume changes nothing.
I searched online and I think its a 60hz hum.
I disconnect all speakers, hdmi, tv, subwoofer, and antenna (everything) one by one...the hum persist!
I change the wallplug for my receiver twice...the hum is still there.
I switch in another receiver (SR 6012) with the same set up...no more hum!
I plug the receiver (SR 6011) in another room with different speakers and set up...the hum is there!
So from this I deduct that the receiver (SR 6011) is the problem...
I had some renovations recently and there was a lot of dust...I covered the receiver after noticing a couple of days later and I realize that it gets pretty hot under...
Everything works...but it has this annoying hum...
What should I do? Open it up and clean with a compressed air can?
I read somewhere that tightening screws can help? Change the capacitor?
Any advice?
Thanks for your help!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the scene!
I finished setting up a used Marantz Sr6011 in a 9.2 and set up all connections and did the sound adjustment with the microphone.
Afterwards I notice that when I'm close to a speaker I hear a humming noise from all speaker when there is no audio playing.
Adjusting volume changes nothing.
I searched online and I think its a 60hz hum.
I disconnect all speakers, hdmi, tv, subwoofer, and antenna (everything) one by one...the hum persist!
I change the wallplug for my receiver twice...the hum is still there.
I switch in another receiver (SR 6012) with the same set up...no more hum!
I plug the receiver (SR 6011) in another room with different speakers and set up...the hum is there!
So from this I deduct that the receiver (SR 6011) is the problem...
I had some renovations recently and there was a lot of dust...I covered the receiver after noticing a couple of days later and I realize that it gets pretty hot under...
Everything works...but it has this annoying hum...
What should I do? Open it up and clean with a compressed air can?
I read somewhere that tightening screws can help? Change the capacitor?
Any advice?
Thanks for your help!
Let's be clear. Did you run that receiver covered up with some type of sheet? If you did you have probably ruined it.

Does it make so much hum that you can hear it at the listening position with nothing connected except speakers and power cord?

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
Hi It was on without me knowing covered with a sheet. Not playing or anything on it.
The receiver works fine except when I pause the sound/music i hear a hum from the speakers. I hear it from listening position with nothing connected except speakers and power cord but very lightly. When i play music or a movie i dont notice anything and everything plays fine. The menus and options works fine.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
When something is playing it "covers up" the hum hence you don't hear it. Try doing a factory reset. If it does not help - it may be worth a chat with the Marantz service folks. The receiver may have to go back to them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi It was on without me knowing covered with a sheet. Not playing or anything on it.
The receiver works fine except when I pause the sound/music i hear a hum from the speakers. I hear it from listening position with nothing connected except speakers and power cord but very lightly. When i play music or a movie i dont notice anything and everything plays fine. The menus and options works fine.
If you can't live with it, then the receiver likely needs to go back. However there is the possibility that this is RF interference. How many LED bulbs do you and in your place, and even more to the point do you have any SCR light dimmers?

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
I have many LED around the house but when i switch it with another marantz receiver with the same set up, there is no problem.
Ill try cleaning it with compressed air and a reset,
if that doesnt work ill bring it in the the local marantz authorized repair shop unless anybody has any other ideas.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have many LED around the house but when i switch it with another marantz receiver with the same set up, there is no problem.
Ill try cleaning it with compressed air and a reset,
if that doesnt work ill bring it in the the local marantz authorized repair shop unless anybody has any other ideas.
Before you do that, switch off every LED in the house. Different models differ widely in RF rejection. Also if you have any dimmers make sure they are switched to off. If you have many LEDs in the house I can bet that is your problem. LEDs emit massive amounts of RF noise and if they have dimmers much more. They also emit more if there is a lot of wiring connected to them, and especially if lighting and outlet circuits are shared. A whole house's wiring can rapidly become a massive RF antenna.

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
Just opened it ...no dust looks clean but found this...Is this normal?
IMG_4058.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just opened it ...no dust looks clean but found this...Is this normal?
View attachment 43409
That cap has some physical damage in construction and should be replaced. However it is impossible to say if it has anything to do with your issue. It is much more likely to be due to radio frequency interference from LED bulbs as that is now so common.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I've also had that issue with my SR6011 and have noticed it goes away with DEQ off and it also seems to come and go in terms of it being present with DEQ on.

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
I reset to factory settings with no improvement! Tried during daytime with all lights (LED) off with no results...

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I think you've exhausted yourself trying to resolve the problem. Since this does not happen with your other AVR.
Time to send this one back or in for repair.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
One more thought before you send it for repair. Try a different power cord from receiver to plug - if you have not tried it yet. It will eliminate power cord as the problem.

J

JVNguyen

Audiophyte
Hi thanks for your advice everyone! I'm waiting for approval to get it fixed by my credit card that extends warranty.
In the meanwhile I switched it in my projection room where I only turn it on when I watch a movie and the sound covers the humming. It was making me go crazy in the living room!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis