Marantz vs Yamaha Recievers. Which to buy

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Your'e talking about the infamous ACD (All Channels Driven).

Yamaha is infamous for having the most stringent Circuit Protection in the industry. So when you try to force 5CH Driven, the Yamaha will LIMIT it's power output.

In reality, as you can read further on the topic, ACD does NOT happen in real life movie soundtracks. Otherwise, there would be a lot of AVRs across the world shutting down ALL THE TIME.

I think AI sucks, like 99% of all DSP modes. :D

I use the Yamaha AV Controller WiFi remote on my phone and iPad. It has a quick Speaker Level adjustment for the Center speaker (Dialogue Level) and the Subs. A lot of contents have bad dialogue soundtrack. You just have to increase the Dialogue Level manually as needed.

Thank you!!

fully understand the ACD conundrum but was using it as a baseline I suppose.

my 7013 powers my speakers just fine (a tad under powered I suppose) as they are 4 ohm But does poorly with dialogue.
That said I used ACD as to not go less power than I have now. I’d buy a 3 channel amp but not sure how that would help my lackluster dialogue.

not sure if the 3080 pushes any of the dialogue across the main left and right speakers as well as the center. Which I believe the pioneer 704 does.

when I upgraded my speakers the dialogue portion got slightly worse. But overall improved greatly and extremely impressed with these Martin Logan’s

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you!!

fully understand the ACD conundrum but was using it as a baseline I suppose.

my 7013 powers my speakers just fine (a tad under powered I suppose) as they are 4 ohm But does poorly with dialogue.
That said I used ACD as to not go less power than I have now. I’d buy a 3 channel amp but not sure how that would help my lackluster dialogue.

not sure if the 3080 pushes any of the dialogue across the main left and right speakers as well as the center. Which I believe the pioneer 704 does.

when I upgraded my speakers the dialogue portion got slightly worse. But overall improved greatly and extremely impressed with these Martin Logan’s
Why would the avr have to do with dialog issues not inherent in your speakers/room/positioning? You noticed it got worse with the new speakers is telling. Some units may have an adjustment for center spread in some sound modes, tho....but how do you figure your 7013 is "underpowered"....you can't play it as loudly as you'd like without running out of juice?

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Why would the avr have to do with dialog issues not inherent in your speakers/room/positioning? You noticed it got worse with the new speakers is telling. Some units may have an adjustment for center spread in some sound modes, tho....but how do you figure your 7013 is "underpowered"....you can't play it as loudly as you'd like without running out of juice?
it plays loud and clear, sans dialogue. Marantz only send dialogue to the center — my new speakers are great and high quality.
When I had a Yamaha in the past you could bump up just dialog.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
it plays loud and clear, sans dialogue. Marantz only send dialogue to the center — my new speakers are great and high quality.
Dialog is generally limited to the center channel in most content. Some can adjust it somewhat with particular sound modes. You could also just raise the center channel level a bit to see if that helps. Some have specific dsp to enhance dialog (and believe some Denon/Marantz models have such). Got a pic of your speaker setup?

H

Harrison Ranch

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am considering a Marantz sr 7011 or a Yamaha rx-a3060. The receiver will be used mainly for music listening. Front speakers are Cerwin Vega CLC-215. 4 ohm, 500 watt rms max., 97db sensitivity.
Thx for any help.
See my post on Denon, Sound United, Marantz. You are completely on your own if you buy anything from Marantz which is part of Sound United. I just made a similar decision and went with Yamaha. But to be fair, I own a CD6005 and love the sound. I will not however consider Denon or Marantz receivers. The AVRS750H that I am trying to return has a 260 page manual so if you can't get customer support to pick up the phone you will have some serious reading to do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One receiver isn't going to have clearer dialogue than another, and depending on your speakers and distances I highly doubt you're underpowered. You can bump just dialogue with your Marantz too, btw...

If you noticed issues with dialogue after buying new speakers that's a speaker or placement issue. Not a receiver issue.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis