B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
on my new receiver Sr7010 the mic was not working so I called them they were great they sent me a new mic out within a few days. Ran the auto setup and it keeps saying the phase is wrong on my side surrounds and the back surrounds. So I called them after explaining this for a hour he says to fix this do a factory reset on the receiver I do this than going through the setup he was confused and would not answer any questions I had on the setup. So finally I get sound in all 11 speakers which I couldn't get from my height speakers cause he kept telling me to select the wrong thing I finally get to the speaker setup part and he says it takes to long to do so call him back if it didn't work well it didn't it still says out of phase for some reason on those 4 speakers. But it does say it could be the room so select ignore. Does anyone have any ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't do stream of consciousness sentences too well....sort of just zone out. Whaddya say?

While Audyssey is less famous for reporting phase issues, it could be your room/speaker placement causing such readings, hard to know if its hardware or measurement issue....

Odds are that your speakers are internally wired in phase but maybe not....

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you checked that all your speakers are wired correctly? From receiver plus to speaker plus and receiver minus to speaker minus?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are sure you wired them all with correct polarity from one end to the other and that the wires are all labelled correctly (visually checked or using an ohmmeter), then it could be the speakers were wired reverse internally, or just your room acoustic conditions.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
on my new receiver Sr7010 the mic was not working so I called them they were great they sent me a new mic out within a few days. Ran the auto setup and it keeps saying the phase is wrong on my side surrounds and the back surrounds. So I called them after explaining this for a hour he says to fix this do a factory reset on the receiver I do this than going through the setup he was confused and would not answer any questions I had on the setup. So finally I get sound in all 11 speakers which I couldn't get from my height speakers cause he kept telling me to select the wrong thing I finally get to the speaker setup part and he says it takes to long to do so call him back if it didn't work well it didn't it still says out of phase for some reason on those 4 speakers. But it does say it could be the room so select ignore. Does anyone have any ideas?

Frequently...
A room EQ scheme be it YPAO, Audyssey, EZ-Set, may indicate a phase error when all loudspeakers are connected correctly in-phase. Basic reason is that every room and/or loudspeaker may have some reflecting surfaces that report back a phase error... When that happens go back and check each loudspeaker and wiring..

Just my $0.02... ;)

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the long drawn out one sentence post. I made sure the 4 speakers that show the phase out problem are correct, the pos. Side has the white strip running on the wire. These are the same speakers and wires that were used on my other marantz receiver and it never said that before.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry for the long drawn out one sentence post. I made sure the 4 speakers that show the phase out problem are correct, the pos. Side has the white strip running on the wire. These are the same speakers and wires that were used on my other marantz receiver and it never said that before.
Do you have any blu-rays with the THX Optimizer? There's a phase test if you're worried about it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yeah but did U change something..
Such as the position of the loudspeakers or moved a major piece of furniture or add a picture. In our AV install biz we have experienced this a couple of times;
1 time neither the loudspeaker or a piece of furniture was moved. The other time we ran the EQ software with the drapes open allowing direct reflection of the acoustics against the glass, next we closed the drapes reran the EQ software and no error popped up..

Like any software its not perfect, but it has come a long way over the last 15 years..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Talking about Marantz support, I can give you some information, which confirms what Gene DellaSela once mentioned about audiophile product manufacturers. In the past, they were providing more info on the specs of what they manufactured.
I once asked Marantz to provide me with the damping factor at 4 ohms for the power amps on their SR5010 AV receiver. They refused to give me the info. The person wanted me to believe that they never tested for that characteristic on their products, my ass!
Afterwards, I asked them to provide me with the maximum output voltage of the preamps on the same AVR. They only replied that it varies between around 1.5 to 2 volts. They did not have it as a set number!
I know that at least one of the previously released Marantz AVR had pre-out voltages exceeding 7 volts.
Would someone have more precise info on that receiver in this regard?

Last edited:
B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I did move speakers around and added some because I went from 7.2 to 11.2 setup. I will look for a blu Ray with THX optimizer. Also in the setup the subwoofer level adjust should it be set to LFE or LFE+ main I do have powered towers. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did move speakers around and added some because I went from 7.2 to 11.2 setup. I will look for a blu Ray with THX optimizer. Also in the setup the subwoofer level adjust should it be set to LFE or LFE+ main I do have powered towers. Thanks.
I don't think the Optimizer will handle but 7ch. By powered towers you mean those with a powered woofer only?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Talking about Marantz support, I can give you some information, which confirms what Gene Della Sella once mentioned about audiophile product manufacturers. In the past, they were providing more info on the specs of what they manufactured.
I once asked Marantz to provide me with the damping factor at 4 ohms for the power amps on their SR5010 AV receiver. They refused to give me the info. The person wanted me to believe that they never tested for that characteristic on their products, my ass!
Afterwards, I asked them to provide me with the maximum output voltage of the preamps on the same AVR. They only replied that it varies between around 1.5 to 2 volts. They did not have it as a set number!
I know that at least one of the previously released Marantz AVR had pre-out voltages exceeding 7 volts.
Would someone have more precise info on that receiver in this regard?
From my experience, unless you get to the next level, you probably won't get your technical questions answered satisfactorily by their first line customer reps. I have even seen them giving out incorrect information too, including their own equipment specs when asked simple questions like which DAC is in SR-XXXX. I do think we have to give them the credit of being reasonably responsive and if you are persistent enough you may eventually get the answers you want.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They may be wired correctly outside, but not internally. This can also be a phase issue caused by the crossover.

If you want to test the actual driver polarity, remove the speaker wires from the AVR and connect a AA or AAA to each pair- If the positive terminal is connected to the positive wire and making the connection causes the cone to move outward from the cabinet, it's correct. If this causes the cone to move in, it's not.

This should be done for any brand that's not from a major manufacturer.

Once this has been determined, re-run the tests and see if it still shows this message. If it does, I would bet that it's caused by the crossover(s).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From my experience, unless you get to the next level, you probably won't get your technical questions answered satisfactorily by their first line customer reps. I have even seen them giving out incorrect information too, including their own equipment specs when asked simple questions like which DAC is in SR-XXXX. I do think we have to give them the credit of being reasonably responsive and if you are persistent enough you may eventually get the answers you want.
Thanks Peng.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis