H

HowardS

Enthusiast
Gene,

Can you share any initial thoughts on your review of the SR8012. Would like to pull the trigger for my 7.2.4 setup. I really respect your opinion and the detail you present. I suspect you will give it a green light because you liked the 7012. The 8012 could only be better right?

A

AtomicRon

Audiophyte
Happy SR8012 owner here. I am also waiting for Gene's review and check daily.. really curious to see power output numbers.. I run all SVS Ultra and power doesn't appear to be an issue.. but would rather look at some real world numbers.

H

HowardS

Enthusiast
Happy SR8012 owner here. I am also waiting for Gene's review and check daily.. really curious to see power output numbers.. I run all SVS Ultra and power doesn't appear to be an issue.. but would rather look at some real world numbers.
Years ago after many listening sessions I chose the Arcam AV-8 because to my ears it was so musical. Very curios to how the SR8012 would compare. Unfortunately, no one in my area carries it for me to review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

Can you share any initial thoughts on your review of the SR8012. Would like to pull the trigger for my 7.2.4 setup. I really respect your opinion and the detail you present. I suspect you will give it a green light because you liked the 7012. The 8012 could only be better right?
I haven't tested the SR8012 yet but I know all of the part upgrades Marantz did for this model and it looks impressive. I plan on starting the bench tests this week and if all goes well should install it for testing by end of next week. Stay tuned...

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We sold a couple of these already and it's very impressive indeed.

H

HowardS

Enthusiast
I haven't tested the SR8012 yet but I know all of the part upgrades Marantz did for this model and it looks impressive. I plan on starting the bench tests this week and if all goes well should install it for testing by end of next week. Stay tuned...
Thank you Gene.

H

HowardS

Enthusiast
Regarding SR8012 pricing, I haven't had any luck finding a price below the retail list price of $2,999.99. I have read in some forums people boasting of getting really good deals. I did see a refurbished model for 500.00 less, but I want a new one. I would like to purchase through Best Buy because I have some reward dollars I would like to use. They will price match unless its somebody selling out of their house or similar. Has anyone found any better pricing?

I suspect at some point they will drop the price a few hundred bucks or so, perhaps before Christmas. This model was introduced in late 2017.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or found a better price that Best Buy will price match?

H

HowardS

Enthusiast
FM Tuner Question:

Does the SR8012 have an FM tuner? I notice the FM and AM Antenna jacks on the back of the unit, but not a lot of info about the tuner. Does it have HD radio?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FM Tuner Question:

Does the SR8012 have an FM tuner? I notice the FM and AM Antenna jacks on the back of the unit, but not a lot of info about the tuner. Does it have HD radio?
The manual doesn't specify?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. But it does have the antenna jacks on the back.
Made me look. Manual indicates there is no am/fm tuner in the unit on p.271 (assume this is like the Denon 8500), but you can add an external one to the tuner input. Weird that it would have antenna jacks so I looked at that too and I see no am/fm antenna jack, just a bluetooth/wireless LAN antenna port. Does have apparently some internet radio feature, tho.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The SR8012 does have a built-in tuner with HD radio. It should also come with internet radio app TuneIn.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon AVR-X8500H has tuners too, it is the European model AVC-X8500H that does not have tuners.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Gene, I want to thank you especially for your comments on the ECO mode!
The last time I tried to find info on this (maybe 2 months ago),the internet seemed strangely quiet! (I actually think it was a casual mention in one of your reviews that indicated it would not affect the sound when external amps were used that was the best info I could find!)
You may want to consider a side article on the topic of how ECO mode affects performance and suggestions on use - a lot of people will Google this as they run across the option as they set up their AVR.

Personally, I wish you would emphasize more in your write up that one good thing it does is offer a way to lower temperature if you are using external amplification! I find keeping it on lowers the temperature at the top of my 6010 by 8 to 10 degrees which I consider a significant benefit. That is an advantage for those of us who use an AVR as a pre-pro. Of course, your suggestion to have a pre-pro only mode is the best solution, but in the mean time we want to make the best of what we have!

I would like to know your thoughts on this in the context that many consider adding external amplification might use ext amp for the 5 or 7 traditional HT channels. In these cases, would the ECO mode still typically be a bad idea for the height speakers? (I don't know how much content gets directed to these channels).

Last question - Auto mode is supposed to disable the ECO mode when the power demand exceeds the limits imposed by ECO mode. Is this a viable alternative? Do you have any knowledge of how well it works or if there is switching interference?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis