Marantz SR8012 vs separates

G

GabeHT

Audiophyte
I am considering purchasing a 2017 Marantz SR8012 or the new Denon X3600H plus a Marantz MM7055 to drive the front channels and give me the same 11.2 amplification with a newer AVR. Can you suggest if the SR8012 will provide better sound or is it better to go with the separates?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Separates usually refers to a separate pre-pro and amp. The two choices you propose I think are more slightly different altho the Denon avr plus external amp I think is a good way to go, altho not necessarily that amp. What speakers?

G

GabeHT

Audiophyte
Speakers are Paradigm Studio 100s, 200s and P80s in ceiling. I am looking for sound quality more than anything. I appreciate any suggestions for a quality single AVR or separates under $3K

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Using the Denon x3600 as a pre pro is a great Idea. If an amp is what you need I would look else where like Monoprice monolith or ATI or Adcom or Outlaw Audio.

G

GabeHT

Audiophyte
If I go with Denon X3600H and a Monolith amp will sound quality be as good as a Marantz SR8012? It is a few hundred dollar difference in total price but would like to know which option will result in a better sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt there is any appreciable difference between your choices for sq.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sound quality is all about speakers. The electronics will have an effect if you go from a $250 AVR to a $1000 AVR... but beyond that... speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Or the Denon 6400 is probably on sale cheaper than the Marantz 8012. A one box 11.2 (7.2.4) solution could work well if you are running reasonably efficient speakers.

The real deal for sound quality improvement though, is in the front 3 speakers and the sub (s).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also think that SQ will be about the same unless you ALTER the sound by using some kind of EQ and/or DSP.

As HD says, if you truly want to go the "Separates" route, then it's going to be a Pre-pro (AVP) + Amp, not an AVR + Amp.

Theoretically, Separates should be more reliable, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

Personally, I think that if you are going the AVR route, then just stick to an AVR. And if you are going the "Separates" route, then get an AVP + Amp.

Last edited:
G

GabeHT

Audiophyte
I read reviews that people that added Monolith to power the front channels of their AVR did not notice much sound quality benefit at low to normal listening levels. If that is the case, a more high end AVR like a Denon X6500H or Marantz SR8012 should provide better sound quality than a Denon X3600H, correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you think that adding an amp, or a slightly more powerful amp in another avr, would necessarily change sound quality aside from increased capability? Or is that what you mean by better sound quality?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I read reviews that people that added Monolith to power the front channels of their AVR did not notice much sound quality benefit at low to normal listening levels. If that is the case, a more high end AVR like a Denon X6500H or Marantz SR8012 should provide better sound quality than a Denon X3600H, correct?
If you're looking for a sound quality upgrade you're barking up the wrong tree. More power will only net you a couple more dB, if that. You need to double it to gain even 3 dB. When it comes to actual quality of sound, clarity and detail that's all in the speakers. Swapping amps won't change anything unless there's something wrong with the original.

G

GabeHT

Audiophyte
I assume the higher end AVR models are not just more powerful but have better audio circuitry and thus provide better sound quality. Just looking to see if spending the extra couple of grand truly makes sense or if a midrange Denon X3600H will sound just as good as the higher end X6500H.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
once you get over, say $1K, those differences are pretty well moot. I think Peng compared several Denon and Marantz and found no significant changes between them outside of the Amp stages. *shrugs
So no, the difference between the SR 8012, SR 7012 and SR 6012 for example is going to be next to nothing beyond amp power and some extra features that may get added to the flagship. Same with Separates.

Sound Quality, exactly as has been said, comes from the individual loudspeaker drivers, the quality of the Crossover, the design and build of the cabinet, and how that as a whole system then interacts acoustically in your room.

No tricks. No marketing. No fancy Cables or Interconnects. No Jade Risers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I assume the higher end AVR models are not just more powerful but have better audio circuitry and thus provide better sound quality. Just looking to see if spending the extra couple of grand truly makes sense or if a midrange Denon X3600H will sound just as good as the higher end X6500H.
It will sound just as good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt you could discern the difference between the two models by listening alone.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am considering purchasing a 2017 Marantz SR8012 or the new Denon X3600H plus a Marantz MM7055 to drive the front channels and give me the same 11.2 amplification with a newer AVR. Can you suggest if the SR8012 will provide better sound or is it better to go with the separates?
I think the Denon X3600H is a great way to go once my onkyo in the bedroom bites the dust that's the one I'm going with

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Although I would go with a different amp then the Marantz that my .02 cents anyway

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Your best bet if at all being possible, is to spend at least a month or so listening to different speakers and amps. Any decent hifi shop should allow to do so. You may have to put down some money upfront as sort of an insurance policy, but it will pay off in the end. Many people will say all amps sound the same, while some like me have to differ. They may only be small differences, but in the long haul those small differences big differences. Anyone's personal preference including mine shouldn't matter. Go by what your ears prefer, after all your the one spending the money and will be listening to it. Good luck and get out and do some auditioning.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis