MARANTZ SR7400 vs Denon 2805 for Klipsch

E

ericschirm

Audiophyte
I have been going back and forth trying to decide on a receiver for my new speakers. Please suggest a 7.1 receiver for the following setup-

Klipsch SF3 mains
Klipsch SS3 surrounds
Klipsch SC3 center
Klipsch SS1 sides
Klipsch KSW12 sub

It will be for a dedicated HT room 90% HT/10% music (The room is 12.5x18.5x9)

A new Denon 2805 (2yr warranty) or a refurbished Marantz 7400 (30 day warranty)? (around the same price).

Denon- 7 x 100 watt, Auto setup / EQ
Marantz- 7 x 105 watt, NO auto setup/EQ?, QC problems (overheating/dropouts)

Is the Auto setup/eq really needed? I want to BALANCE the "bright" (detailed) sound of Klipsch.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
ericschirm said:
I have been going back and forth trying to decide on a receiver for my new speakers. Please suggest a 7.1 receiver for the following setup-

Klipsch SF3 mains
Klipsch SS3 surrounds
Klipsch SC3 center
Klipsch SS1 sides
Klipsch KSW12 sub

It will be for a dedicated HT room 90% HT/10% music (The room is 12.5x18.5x9)

A new Denon 2805 (2yr warranty) or a refurbished Marantz 7400 (30 day warranty)? (around the same price).

Denon- 7 x 100 watt, Auto setup / EQ
Marantz- 7 x 105 watt, NO auto setup/EQ?, QC problems (overheating/dropouts)

Is the Auto setup/eq really needed? I want to tame the "bright" sound of the Klipsch.

Thanks,
Eric
I would opt for the 2yr warranty with the Denon :)

I would not bother with the auto setup as it can give you false inputs from extraneous noises, etc. Best if you just measure the speaker distances and using spl meter and either internal test tones or from a DVD disc, preferred, and level match.

It you don't like the sound of the Klipsch, why did you buy it? You can always use tone controls, or EQ provided with the receiver. Maybe an external EQ?

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Ditto the Denon. It matches up well with my Klipsch speaker system. The auto setup function is really pretty good (assuming the 2805 works the same way as my 3805). It gets distances spot on and channel levels are set 95% the same as using an SPL meter....I used both, just because :) The built in equalizer, when using the auto setup, is something you can't really do with a SPL meter...at least not as easily. Either way, it's a pretty nice receiver.

So why DID you buy Klipsch if you thought they were too bright???? Myself, after fourteen + years listening to various Klipsch speakers in my HT, I don't find them bright at all.......everything else I've auditioned is dull ;)

Mort

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the Denon but the Marantz is tempting. I love the sound of Klipsch. I would describe them as very detailed and accurate but after reading 1000's of posts people kept describing them as "bright". Another reason for Klipsch is that I got the above package new for $1k!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
For the "90% HT", you're gonna love the Klipsch. Why consider the Marantz for the same money? It may look sexier and have a mystique to the name but you'll sacrifice a real warranty.....and though I'm not familiar with that particular unit, the Denon has three component inputs, component conversion, and double the bandwidth necessary to process an HD signal should you decide to route everything through the receiver.

Mort (who likes his latest Denon AVR more than the last one that lasted fourteen years....and still works 100%)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Unregistered said:
I love the sound of Klipsch. I would describe them as very detailed and accurate but after reading 1000's of posts people kept describing them as "bright".
Oh, ok. You like the speakers yourself but you were concerned about the urban legends on the internet? ;)

You should be aware that audio, like any other consumer marketplace, lots of hype, bs, mythology, voodoo out there. So, not to worry and enjoy your Klipsch. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis