Marantz SR6015 + Marantz PM8006 or Marantz Cinema 50

S

sergix

Enthusiast
Hi, I currently have a PM8006 stereo amplifier and an old Onkyo AVR at home. I want to switch to a better home theater - I'm thinking whether to buy an AVR SR6015 (same series as the PM8006) and connect it to that stereo amplifier (the AVR would only be a preamplifier for the front channels, the PM8006 would then be an amplifier) or buy a Cinema 50 and the PM8006 sell. What do you think about it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is your old gear not doing for you? I'd start there. I wouldn't particularly want to use an integrated amp with an avr, especially one that's not even as powerful as the avr....if I needed more amps I'd get external power amps....can your old Onkyo accept external amps at all (does it have a full set of pre-outs)? What model is the Onkyo?

S

sergix

Enthusiast
The old one has broken hdmi, no new codecs and no pre-outs for front channels . So a new AVR is needed. My point is whether the combination of AVR + Stereo AMP + DAC Topping D50s with Topping P50 Linear power supply) will play that much better than the AVR Cinema 50. Having one device would be easier, but the question is whether the combination will play significantly better.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on what spec level you can hear to? Why would the integrated amp with external dac be better particularly? The external dac might play some higher resolution stuff natively, but that's already into non-audible territory largely (except for perhaps different mixing/mastering for different recordings). I'd just use an avr, and maybe if I needed more power, then would think about adding an external power amp. I'd probably look at Denon and see what the better deal would be, as often you get a better set of features for the $ with Denon over Marantz, and can skip the odd porthole look, too :) ).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I currently have a PM8006 stereo amplifier and an old Onkyo AVR at home. I want to switch to a better home theater - I'm thinking whether to buy an AVR SR6015 (same series as the PM8006) and connect it to that stereo amplifier (the AVR would only be a preamplifier for the front channels, the PM8006 would then be an amplifier) or buy a Cinema 50 and the PM8006 sell. What do you think about it?
To be honest with you, an integrated amp like the PM8006 has NO place in a home theater. So yes, sell it.

Depending on how you are going to use your home theater you need and AVP or an AVR with preouts. If you want separate external amplification then you need power amps, and NOT integrated amps. Sure you can get integrated amps with HD pass though, but I see no point in those at all. They are useless dead end products.

Personally I favor the AVP approach to home theater.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The old one has broken hdmi, no new codecs and no pre-outs for front channels . So a new AVR is needed. My point is whether the combination of AVR + Stereo AMP + DAC Topping D50s with Topping P50 Linear power supply) will play that much better than the AVR Cinema 50. Having one device would be easier, but the question is whether the combination will play significantly better.
If you go with an AVR-X3700H or Onkyo RZ50, the money you save can be used to grab a 2 or 3 channel power amp. The SR6015 may have a better look, gold plated connectors etc., but the internal parts that matter to sound quality are the same except it has the virtually useless HDAMs. In the past, the Denon AVRs measured much better on the test bench.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Depending on your budget, the more exciting thing to do is to buy either a NEW AVR (forget about amp for now) or get an AVP + Amp.

I don’t think sound quality will be a significant factor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So far we're not even knowing much about the room/speakers at all....which would be more important than the electronics.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So far we're not even knowing much about the room/speakers at all....which would be more important than the electronics.....
Since the AVR is an old Onkyo, I suspect the rig is long past due for an update.

S

sergix

Enthusiast
Hi, thank you all for your help and opinions. I'll clarify a few more things. The ratio of watching movies and listening to music is 60:40. I currently have a Canton Chrono 509 set for speakers, I'll probably change to a Canton Vento set soon. When I watch a movie, it will drive the AVR and integr. amplifier only as a power amp (preamp of int. amp. will be off). If I listen to music, the AVR will be off completly, only the int amplifier will be on + dac and streamer or perhaps a gramophone.
Unfortunately, it will probably not be possible to connect a subwoofer for movies and for listening to music.
I am sending a diagram of how I should have it wired. The question is, does it make sense, or isn't it better to buy an AVR for about 2-3 thousand USD and simplify the whole system.
221206-all.png

Music setup
221206-music.png

Movie setup
221206-movies.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi, thank you all for your help and opinions. I'll clarify a few more things. The ratio of watching movies and listening to music is 60:40. I currently have a Canton Chrono 509 set for speakers, I'll probably change to a Canton Vento set soon. When I watch a movie, it will drive the AVR and integr. amplifier only as a power amp (preamp of int. amp. will be off). If I listen to music, the AVR will be off completly, only the int amplifier will be on + dac and streamer or perhaps a gramophone.
Unfortunately, it will probably not be possible to connect a subwoofer for movies and for listening to music.
I am sending a diagram of how I should have it wired. The question is, does it make sense, or isn't it better to buy an AVR for about 2-3 thousand USD and simplify the whole system.View attachment 58945
Music setup
View attachment 58946
Movie setup
View attachment 58947
Simplicity is always a huge advantage.

I have to say, that I think you have been sniffing audiophool glue. That integrated amp, is buying you trouble and a downgrade. GET RID OF IT.

First there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with the preamp stages and processor of an AVR or AVP. I agree the power amps of AVRs can be problematic, especially if the speakers are low impedance and or with adverse phase angles. Also if you like to listen at louder volumes or have wide range dynamic sources. However that integrated amp is not that powerful and no more powerful than the amps in an AVR. What really gives you more dynamic head room is more POWER. The caveat is that the speakers must be powerful enough to handle that power cleanly and without dynamic compression. It really is that simple a proposition.

Frankly those sort of arrangements above are just nuts, and frankly without merit.

If you want the highest road it an AVP with external amps offering more power, especially into low impedance loads than an AVR. The second best is an AVR with preouts and external amps for the front three. You really do need to have the center very comparable in power and quality to the front left and right.

That really is the honest truth and the rest is noise as they say.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of the general myth of sealed subs being better for music vs ported designs. I don't know quite how integrated amps became such darlings of the "audiophiles"....they are just old 2ch receivers without a tuner generally. Often no digital capabilities nor bass management, let alone internet, and with little different amp capabilities vs a good avr otherwise. They have their uses I suppose although in a multich system I'd much rather use a power amp if I'm going to add an amp, and then I want one better (more powerful) than in the avr, which isn't the case here. If you find that 6015 will meet your needs generally, you're done. If you want more power it has pre-outs for amp flexibility. Seems if the integrated worked for you, you may not need more power, tho.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am sending a diagram of how I should have it wired. The question is, does it make sense, or isn't it better to buy an AVR for about 2-3 thousand USD and simplify the whole system.View attachment 58945
Music setup
View attachment 58946
Movie setup
View attachment 58947
I have to agree with TLS, if you keep things simple, everything will sound better to you once you get used to the new gear.

There is not advantage to have the PM8006 at all, can't even think of one except if you thing it looks pretty. It offers less power output than a mid range AVR such as the Cinema 50, or Denon AVR-X3800H and those AVRs offer the ability to use Direct Live if you think it works better than Audyssey.

I can tell you for sure that if run room correction offered by either properly, the improves in sound quality will be infinitely more audible than that between the AVR and the integrated amp.

The AVR-X3800H is literally cheap right now, considering the rich feature set, and if you are in Europe or better still in Asia, then the Cinema 50 may be a better choice as over there you don't have pay the ridiculous prices for the Marantz.

So my suggestion, is sell the integrated amp, if you feel more power output is needed, and you probably do depending on which Canton tower you are upgrading to, buy one of those Hypex, Purifi based power amp, or even a chip based class D amp. Any of those will beat most Marantz class AB amps by a mile in terms of distortions, though some people may like to hear distortions but in that case one has to look to other class AB amps because Marantz class AB amps are still going to be transparent, without only the warm sound imagined by people under the influence.

Lastly, the Topping DAC, when used with the Cinema 50 or AVR-X3800H in direct or pure direct mode, you may hear improved sound quality though if you do it will be subtle unless you really have golden ears.

R

rana_kirti

Enthusiast
Hello, I've ended with Marantz Cinema 40.. I sold PM8006 and took a way of simplicity :D
fantastic, you are one of the few who seem to have owned both the C40 and PM8006.

I'm in the the same boat you were with a usage of 50/50 movies/music and due to space restrictions can have only 1 setup. I really value music a lot and read at most forums that a equivalent priced integrated amp will be comfortably better the AVR for 2 channel music.

was planning to use preouts from the C40 to pm8006 for front left/right for movies. and for music a streamer directly to the pm8006.

could you please share the difference in Sonic quality for 2 channel music between avr/integrated amp. what were your observations? how near or far apart are they in 2 channel music?

thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@rana_kirti why would an integrated amp have particularly different sound qualities? It is fascinating how many people ascribe magical sound qualities to integrated amps....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis