Marantz SR6013 - Can I connect more than one external amp?

G

greengo

Audiophyte
Currently running a 7.2.2 from a Marantz SR6013 and a stereo zone 2 through a Dayton amp to my patio. I just ordered a Marantz MM7025 to power the front towers. Looking through my manual, it seems I can run 2 channels through an external amp or all channels through an external amp. Although I don't see the settings for all channels, a note in the manual states running each channel through an external amp enhances sound quality.

I could wait and figure this out on my own, but I'd like to pull the system away from the wall once. Can I run my patio speakers through the Dayton, my front through the new Marantz amp and everything else from the Marantz 6013 internal amps? Or do I have to ditch the Dayton, run the patio through zone 2 speaker connections vice preamp, and then I can bring in the 7025 amp for the front?

I've attached the page from the manual mentioning an external amp.

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to AH,

Yes, you can connect an external amplifier to each pre-out on your SR6013.

There are no special settings for the use of external amplification except connecting the appropriate pre-out with one of the amplifiers. You will most likely have to manually readjust the speaker levels though for the externally amplified channels. Zone 2 can be used with your Dayton amp for your patio, and the front L & R speakers can be driven with the MM7025.

Marantz says that the realness of the sound can be enhanced with external amplification, but that is inexact in most situations. In your case, you have a stereo amp to drive two of your front channels and another one for patio. The remaining channels can easily be driven with the AVR onboard amps without any struggling.

Last edited:
G

greengo

Audiophyte
Woohoo! I was hung up on not being able to find any settings. I didn't realize the signal goes to both the preamp out "AND" speaker connection. I thought I'd have to tell the receiver to send the signals to the preamp out like I do for Zone 2. Here's hoping I pull out the system, move equipment around, hook everything up and push it back to the wall 1 time!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Re-run the auto setup afterwards so the levels will be correct. Its a good idea to make a backup of the current setup first though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Re-run the auto setup afterwards so the levels will be correct. Its a good idea to make a backup of the current setup first though.

Why should he run the Audyssey again for the levels? It would not be necessary if he proceeds with the manual setup and just adjust the speaker levels from his listeniing position.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why should he run the Audyssey again for the levels? It would not be necessary if he proceeds with the manual setup and just adjust the speaker levels from his listeniing position.
How would he do that, with an spl meter instead of Audyssey?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
He could do manual but many if not most don’t have the tools for it and often other things may have changed since the last time in room so a re-run is often a good idea, or just easier than manual.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How would he do that, with an spl meter instead of Audyssey?
IMO, if you have good hearing, you can balance the speaker levels possibly within 1-1.5 dB, but Audyssey cannot do much better, specifically when your hearing is not equal between both ears. I know from my experience. The obvious best way is to use a SPL meter at your main listening position. That is what Gene suggested in a thread.

G

greengo

Audiophyte
Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem the only adjustment I need, is to get the front level to what it was before the power amp. I'll likely use a meter from the listening position. Isn't Audyssey just a starting point? If I ran it again I'd have to put all the tweaks back in to get it where I like it all over again. And those tweaks came about on different speakers over a long period of time. It's really sweet right now.

<For some reason this post keeps getting a reject. Says it's spam or inappropriate language. Been trying to post this since yesterday evening shortly after I got the advice. I took out a second paragraph containing a little levity, but no inappropriate language. Seems a little uptight?>

G

greengo

Audiophyte
Ok, figured out why the previous post didn't go through yesterday! So as I said, I put a 2nd paragraph with a bit of levity. But ah, it could have been the wrong kind of levity for this forum. I remarked about me stating "It's really sweet now." Which made me question the purchase of an additional amp. Now I realize, this is "Audioholics" and one should never question the purchase of more audio gear! What was I thinking? So sorry.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep just getting the gains between external and internal amps matched up is the point. How you do it or how consistent it was with your original setup, YMMV a bit. Didn't know we had any kind of levity filter...did it have a link or pic as part of it?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You can just double check with a meter sure if you already have the sound you love. Its very possible the marantz amp has the same gain as the marantz AVR internal amps and no trim tweak will be needed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem the only adjustment I need, is to get the front level to what it was before the power amp. I'll likely use a meter from the listening position. Isn't Audyssey just a starting point? If I ran it again I'd have to put all the tweaks back in to get it where I like it all over again. And those tweaks came about on different speakers over a long period of time. It's really sweet right now.
You are right, there is no need to re-run Audyssey unless you have a good reason to. I am 99% certain that you don't even have to make any level trim adjustment because the Marantz amp(internal and external) both have about 29 dB of gain but it is still possible that they may differ by +/- 0.5 dB that's not an issue because spec is one thing, there are usually some tolerances.

G

greengo

Audiophyte
Yep just getting the gains between external and internal amps matched up is the point. How you do it or how consistent it was with your original setup, YMMV a bit. Didn't know we had any kind of levity filter...did it have a link or pic as part of it?
I snipped it at the time and meant to include it in the previous post. Thanks for reminding me, or I would have done it for nothing. ;)

Attachments

G

greengo

Audiophyte
You can just double check with a meter sure if you already have the sound you love. Its very possible the marantz amp has the same gain as the marantz AVR internal amps and no trim tweak will be needed.

That would be impressive. Hell, I might even say it'd be disappointing if I didn't have to play with it a little to get it right. Not like it's unpleasant to improve the audio. But yeah I see your point, Marantz is kinda smart, they might have made this plug and play.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not really about "improving" the audio vs just level matching. Marantz to Marantz could well be plug and play if they were able to do that across their model range but that's where I'd think that wasn't particularly done due to differing specs among various models.

As to getting the message, I've seen that before.....but more curious the content that triggered it....was it simply the text of what you wrote or did you have an attachment or link?

G

greengo

Audiophyte
No attachment or link, just a bit of text lightly ridiculing myself for saying my system sounded sweet, yet I was spending a grand on another amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I snipped it at the time and meant to include it in the previous post. Thanks for reminding me, or I would have done it for nothing. ;)
I think there's just a limit imposed for new posters. Not sure what would be rejected but once you reach a certain minimum post count there shouldn't be any more limitations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis