bravo79

Audioholic Intern
Hi I have a marantz sr 6011 connected to

6 Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf speakers 6 ohm and

2 front klipsch rp 8000f 8 ohm

1 center

klipsch rp-504c 8 ohm

Subwoofer SPL Speedwoofer 10s

The question I have here do I need to add an amp to power the Klipsch front speakers? I have an offer to buy a Yamaha ax-900 but will it work as an external amp to be controlled from the main receiver ? I’m sorry I’m not that’s knowledgeable about connecting these amp and what to look for. The reason I’m thinking about the external amp is those pioneer speakers are 84db sensitivity rating which I think is poor. And offer I can add more speakers in the future if I ever wanted to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd look for a power amp rather than an integrated amp, and something that old doesn't appeal too much either. Has it been refurbished? Yes, it can work as power amp easily enough as you have pre-outs on your avr and the Yamaha has pre-out/main-in terminals.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think your 6011 is very capable of powering those speakers and don't believe you'll gain any sonic advantage adding that amp. I added an amp to mine, but went with something newer and more powerful. No real audible difference between it and just using my SR6011 until I get into some pretty ridiculous volumes. Even then it's not a night and day thing. Just a little more stable, and I'm talking really cranked up. Like home alone and put the dogs outside cranked up.

B

bravo79

Audioholic Intern
I dont think its refurbished. If I use it as power amp will be controlled from the main receiver in term of volume level and power on/off ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont think its refurbished. If I use it as power amp will be controlled from the main receiver in term of volume level and power on/off ?
Yes, you'd just have to adjust the gain of the integrated amp once, then use the avr from then on for volume control. How much is the Yamaha being offered for?

Besides, if anything your fronts are fairly sensitive and wouldn't benefit from an external amp compared to your avr.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, you'd just have to adjust the gain of the integrated amp once, then use the avr from then on for volume control. How much is the Yamaha being offered for?

Besides, if anything your fronts are fairly sensitive and wouldn't benefit from an external amp compared to your avr.
Right. I looked up the AX 900 and it's rated 130 wpc and the SR6011 is rated 110 wpc, 2 channels driven.

You need to double amplifier power to gain just 3 dB. That extra 20 watts isn't going to make any difference. That and it's older too (thinking in terms of reliability/lifespan). Unless he's almost giving it to you I'd pass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis