Marantz SR6008 front speakers no output

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
couple days ago we played some music, then suddenly there is no sound out of speakers, it turned out the front speakers have no sound, so it will not play on the music and pure mode which I guess it will need front speakers. any suggestion of possible issues? we did play music for quite some time continually (like 6 hours), please help.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
couple days ago we played some music, then suddenly there is no sound out of speakers, it turned out the front speakers have no sound, so it will not play on the music and pure mode which I guess it will need front speakers. any suggestion of possible issues? we did play music for quite some time continually (like 6 hours), please help.
Welcome to AH,

Did you try to connect other speakers to the front channels? It would tell you whether the speakers or the amplifiers are not working.

However, it would be unusual for two or more speakers or amplifiers to stop functioning simultaneously. Check all your connections.

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
that's good suggestion, the center and back speakers all have output, only the front speakers have no output, is it possible the setup issues? overheat? the wire are inside wall, it will be hard for me to test

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
that's good suggestion, the center and back speakers all have output, only the front speakers have no output, is it possible the setup issues? overheat? the wire are inside wall, it will be hard for me to test
Test the speakers at the receiver end. Disconnect them from the receiver, then take a 1.5 battery and put the speaker wires of each speaker on the battery, and take one wire on and off repeatedly to make and break the circuit. You should hear a click each time you make and break the circuit. Test one speaker at a time and report back.

It sounds as if you may have speaker damage, if you blew the receiver, it would likely go into protection and shut down. Are these in wall speakers? If not you can also test at the speaker end.

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
Test the speakers at the receiver end. Disconnect them from the receiver, then take a 1.5 battery and put the speaker wires of each speaker on the battery, and take one wire on and off repeatedly to make and break the circuit. You should hear a click each time you make and break the circuit. Test one speaker at a time and report back.

It sounds as if you may have speaker damage, if you blew the receiver, it would likely go into protection and shut down. Are these in wall speakers? If not you can also test at the speaker end.
yes, they are in wall speakers, and I use the audyssey to detect the speakers, it said the front speakers are not detected, the center speaker and rear speakers I can hear the music is out of them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try connecting the L/R speakers to the rear/center terminals so you can see if the speakers still work....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Try connecting the L/R speakers to the rear/center terminals so you can see if the speakers still work....
The battery test will be much safer, in case the VCs are now low impedance. Using a receiver to test a suspect speaker, is not a good fault finding protocol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also just review all settings for speakers/trim level too, maybe even try a system reset as well.
The battery test will be much safer, in case the VCs are now low impedance. Using a receiver to test a suspect speaker, is not a good fault finding protocol.
Would it matter if you kept volume minimal and just tested? If they're that far gone would it potentially damage the amp if the amp is not at fault?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Might also just review all settings for speakers/trim level too, maybe even try a system reset as well.

Would it matter if you kept volume minimal and just tested? If they're that far gone would it potentially damage the amp if the amp is not at fault?
It could. The battery test is simple and the easiest and fastest way to settle the issue.

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
It could. The battery test is simple and the easiest and fastest way to settle the issue.
Use battery tested the front speakers, there is no sound, I guess both of the front speakers are blown off at the same time? is it possible that it is the fuse or something? I guess the receiver is ok.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Use battery tested the front speakers, there is no sound, I guess both of the front speakers are blown off at the same time? is it possible that it is the fuse or something? I guess the receiver is ok.
No this won't be a fuse. There are two possibilities.

1). You have blown both speakers as they both had the same amount of power. This is most likely.

2). You have mice in your walls and they have eaten the cables. This happens. I learned this the hard way in an installation I did as a teenager. I never forgot that experience. So put all in wall cables in conduit. No exceptions.

So you need to remove the drivers from those speakers, and test the DC resistance of ALL drivers with a multimeter.

At the same time inspect the crossovers for any evidence of burnt components.

Now connect the +ve and -ve leads of each cable together one pair at a time. Then go to your speakers while the drivers are removed and make sure the multimeter registers 0 ohms, or close, between the +ve and -ve leads of each of your cable pairs. If it is open circuit, you have mice.

I would bet 1 is the answer most likely.

Any dead drivers will need replacement with the exact drivers, or the units need reconing, if reconing kits are available.

You only other option is to replace the dead in wall speakers.

What are these speakers anyway?

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
No this won't be a fuse. There are two possibilities.

1). You have blown both speakers as they both had the same amount of power. This is most likely.

2). You have mice in your walls and they have eaten the cables. This happens. I learned this the hard way in an installation I did as a teenager. I never forgot that experience. So put all in wall cables in conduit. No exceptions.

So you need to remove the drivers from those speakers, and test the DC resistance of ALL drivers with a multimeter.

At the same time inspect the crossovers for any evidence of burnt components.

Now connect the +ve and -ve leads of each cable together one pair at a time. Then go to your speakers while the drivers are removed and make sure the multimeter registers 0 ohms, or close, between the +ve and -ve leads of each of your cable pairs. If it is open circuit, you have mice.

I would bet 1 is the answer most likely.

Any dead drivers will need replacement with the exact drivers, or the units need reconing, if reconing kits are available.

You only other option is to replace the dead in wall speakers.

What are these speakers anyway?
Thanks for your detailed suggestion, I guess the bet 1 would be possible, mice I don't think so :) I am not sure what are these speakers are, they came with the house, should be more than 10 years, never had problem before.
we recently did renovation of the house, but I don't think we touched the wire. On that day when it happened. we sing Karaoke and sound suddenly stopped when my friend sing a very high key :( is this possible the reason? and recently we bought a Karaoke effector, is it possible the device is defect and outputs current too high?

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
any suggestion of good and affordable in wall speaker? any speaker has higher endurance of being blown?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your detailed suggestion, I guess the bet 1 would be possible, mice I don't think so :) I am not sure what are these speakers are, they came with the house, should be more than 10 years, never had problem before.
we recently did renovation of the house, but I don't think we touched the wire. On that day when it happened. we sing Karaoke and sound suddenly stopped when my friend sing a very high key :( is this possible the reason? and recently we bought a Karaoke effector, is it possible the device is defect and outputs current too high?
I'd say the karaoke could well have been an issue, can you provide more details for the equipment you hooked up for that?

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
I'd say the karaoke could well have been an issue, can you provide more details for the equipment you hooked up for that?
very simple, video with HDMI to TV, audio RCA cable to effector input, than effector output to receiver DVD using 5 pin cable, the effector has two wireless microphone.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No the unit is not defective. You do not use domestic speakers for Karaoke. You need a system using PA speakers for band usage, unless you have very powerful speakers.

I suspect those speakers were junk before you blew them, so no great loss. Builders never put in good speakers with a house.

You do need to check the wiring though, as you never know if there is a problem. Never assume anything in this business. If it can happen, it will happen.

Decent speakers are never cheap. You will not likely find speakers the same size. In walls do tend to be problematic. So you will need a set of three as the front stage needs to match.

It is best to have speakers with back boxes.

Before advising you a budget is required, and what dimensions you can tolerate. Speakers with back boxes are strongly recommended and not ones that blast into the wall space.

Almost certainly some drywall work will be required.

I do have one in wall system, but I design and build my own speakers.

That is a pretty potent system and probably would tolerate Karaoke, but you can blow anything up if you try hard enough. My wife calls that her system. That leaves the AV room to me a lot of the time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
very simple, video with HDMI to TV, audio RCA cable to effector input, than effector output to receiver DVD using 5 pin cable, the effector has two wireless microphone.
I have no idea what a karaoke effector is particularly, have a make and model for it? I suspect it has too high an output level for the gear involved.

Y

ylu234

Enthusiast
No the unit is not defective. You do not use domestic speakers for Karaoke. You need a system using PA speakers for band usage, unless you have very powerful speakers.

I suspect those speakers were junk before you blew them, so no great loss. Builders never put in good speakers with a house.

You do need to check the wiring though, as you never know if there is a problem. Never assume anything in this business. If it can happen, it will happen.

Decent speakers are never cheap. You will not likely find speakers the same size. In walls do tend to be problematic. So you will need a set of three as the front stage needs to match.

It is best to have speakers with back boxes.

Before advising you a budget is required, and what dimensions you can tolerate. Speakers with back boxes are strongly recommended and not ones that blast into the wall space.

Almost certainly some drywall work will be required.

I do have one in wall system, but I design and build my own speakers.

That is a pretty potent system and probably would tolerate Karaoke, but you can blow anything up if you try hard enough. My wife calls that her system. That leaves the AV room to me a lot of the time.
The house was a customized house, the speaker maybe decent. The speakers are in wall high up, extra work will be hard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis