Marantz SR6004 Dolby TrueHD & PLIIz / dts-HD AV Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you're looking for a midpriced receiver with respectable power reserves and audio performance, the Marantz SR6004 is a top contender. It will deliver faithful audio reproduction to all but the most elaborate theater systems. I found myself enjoying extensive music listening sessions on the SR6004 which I usually shy away from if I am not happy with the fidelity of a product under review. Based on my findings, I would say that Marantz struck a good balance with the SR6004 and lived up to its strong audio heritage. Good sound quality and looks are the two key selling points of this product which should appeal to any serious audiophile not able to commit to the expense and space constraints of full fledged separate components. Recommended!

Discuss "Marantz SR6004 Dolby TrueHD & PLIIz / dts-HD AV Receiver Review" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
An interesting review. It almost appears that a more fair match up would have been against the 28lb TX-SR707. Just about the same weight, similar features with one having BT and the other THX. Since I feed my entire music collection (FLACs) to my system over my network - BT access to MP3s on a player doesn't grab me but I can see it attracting others.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Marantz seems to have made some modifications to the heatsink, although it mostly looks like a typical Sherwood heatsink. If this receiver is made by Sherwood, it was definitely made to Marantz's exact specifications. That is a bold beautiful machine.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Very nice review. What did you find different between the 6003 and 6004?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Marantz seems to have made some modifications to the heatsink, although it mostly looks like a typical Sherwood heatsink. If this receiver is made by Sherwood, it was definitely made to Marantz's exact specifications. That is a bold beautiful machine.
Heat sinks are pretty generic parts. The same heatsink is likely used on many different brands and model#s of A/V receivers. Marantz and Sherwood receivers are not shared platforms as far as I can see.

B

bellevegasj

Junior Audioholic
I wish these shared the same video upscaling as the upper Denon line. I would jump on this for sure if they did. I use this feature.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Heat sinks are pretty generic parts. The same heatsink is likely used on many different brands and model#s of A/V receivers. Marantz and Sherwood receivers are not shared platforms as far as I can see.
You may be right. However, it is known that Sherwood builds Denon's lower end receivers to Denon's specification. Being that both companies fall under the same umbrella it's not outside the realm of possibility that Marantz receivers could be made in part or whole by Sherwood completely to Marantz's specifications. This says nothing about the quality of the end product as Sherwood has made a name for itself in the production of quality OEMs and spec'd builds. IMO, if the Marantz receivers are made by Sherwood it's a cost effective route to take.

L

Lee Bailey

Audiophyte
Audyssey with HD soundtracks

Even though the unit will not enable Audyssey when playing any of the HD bitstreams, you can send LPCM from the source unit instead, and Audyssey processing will be available to you.

C

chadfs

Audiophyte
SR6004 Bluetooth

The Blue tooth didn't work well with my i touch either. However it works great with my Samsung phone so I blame Apple not Marantz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis