T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Marantz SR5014 came in yesterday from A4L, got home and immediately setup when I got home from work, directions be damned! Initial setup no video from HDMI 1, only 2. Moving on, can’t get WiFi, Bluetooth or AirPlay to work. Downloaded the remote app, it won’t connect but you get three choices, Detect Marantz AVR’s, Demo mode and can not find my AVR which prompts you to send a bug report to Marantz... something tells me I’m not the first to have connectivity issues. Next I ran Audyssey, setup my bookshelf speakers and sub, first failed attempt but it was my fault as I didn’t set sub crossover to LFE. Second attempt success, I now grew enough patience to grab a beer and slow down a little. Basic setup complete I turned on Netflix and fast forwarded to a random point in Free Fire, a non stop shooter movie completely set in a warehouse. Gunfire and ricochets broken up by brief moments of silence with whispers and shouting. My Special 40’s came to life like I’ve never heard, no longer constrained by 40 watts and soft clipping from my 30 year old NAD, all my expectations of giving them the headroom they needed to stretch their legs was instantly gratified. Then just as I was giddy with the realization that these speakers are better than I had imagined it all melted when I looked and the little res light on my SVS sub was glowing. My hope momentarily returned as it dawned on me, as good as it sounded it was all without a subwoofer, I thought to myself it can only get better. Another 30 minutes of checking physical and electronic setting I discovered the sub was somehow off, an unrelated setting not in the setup wizard and not part of Audyssey had my main set on large and the sub off even though the AVR activated the sub during Audyssey, I’d like to have a polite conversation with the engineers that worked on the UI. At this point I reset all settings back to factory and start it all over with my newly gained knowledge. Set up front speakers to small, turned on subwoofer and reran Audyssey. Returning with even more determination I started Free Fire where I had left off only to discover my the balls of my Special 40’s to have been surgically removed by Audyssey, at this point I admitted defeat, finished my beer and went to bed.

This morning plugged the AVR into my router and updated the it. Later today I will attempt to contact tech support about the connectivity issues. I’m not completely defeated, I have my mini DSP and I may download the Audyssey app, I know this receiver has all the tools to get the sound I want it just needs a little more patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Ok, so still not much patience... Firmware update complete and connectivity issues resolved. Streaming Pandora via Bluetooth so I decided to try Airplay, massive difference. I guess from here I need to sign up for a lossless streaming service, something tells me this hobby is about to get a lot more expensive.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, so still not much patience... Firmware update complete and connectivity issues resolved. Streaming Pandora via Bluetooth so I decided to try Airplay, massive difference. I guess from here I need to sign up for a lossless streaming service, something tells me this hobby is about to get a lot more expensive.

May be take this opportunity to return it, pay a little more now to get XT32 and you may be happier for a longer time. That's unless you don't believe in the benefits of using Audyssey.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
May be take this opportunity to return it, pay a little more now to get XT32 and you may be happier for a longer time. That's unless you don't believe in the benefits of using Audyssey.
Don’t screw with me, I don’t know the difference and don’t want to. I did press the pure direct button listening to music and the speakers can back. I think using regular Audyssey and Dirac I can tune it to good enough. The $650 at A4L pushed my wife’s comfort level enough.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don’t screw with me, I don’t know the difference and don’t want to. I did press the pure direct button listening to music and the speakers can back. I think using regular Audyssey and Dirac I can tune it to good enough. The $650 at A4L pushed my wife’s comfort level enough.

Understood, I was thinking the 2018 models for a touch more only. The 5014 is an excellent choice for sure.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Having to change main speakers (and sometimes others also) from large to small is basically standard after running the auto setup. Also remember that direct modes ignore crossover settings and room correction.
Finally gratz on a nice new AVR :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, having Audyssey test for a sub is different from final settings of large/small (use no bass management or use bass management) or crossover. RTFM is a good thing generally, too. Good luck!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I felt like Audyssey neutered my main speakers for bass also. What is really happening is that I have a very deep null in one frequency and a big peak in another frequency. I think what's going on is Audyssey's able to tame the big peak, but can only do so much with the steep null. Taming that peak to normal levels and still having almost the same null made it sound pretty thin compared to pure direct because the bloated peak made up for the deep null, but it was far from flat or "in tune".

That's where XT32 and the app could come in very handy, tho I have yet to try it with my main speakers only at full range... Hmm... I may just make that my next project.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
It looks like there’s an EQ that can be used across all speakers or individually, I’m guessing with a Umik 1 and Dirac I should be able to get good results. Anyone think Audyssey is a better solution or Direc? Keep in mind I’m a complete newb but I’m consider myself a lucky button presser!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many have said Dirac is better overall, but they also say it’s still not a magic bullet.

I have had good success using audyssey xt32, and even though I’m still a REW novice, I was able to confirm the problems I had and fix my issues through placement and Audyssey.

Just short of ‘upgrading’ to a comparable Marantz or Denon with xt32 and using the phone app, I honestly don’t think more gadgetry is gonna bring you anything different. The only reason I think that XT32 is better than what you have is because I use it. And it works pretty well.
PENG and Pogre I think would agree, too.
But if you have REW, are willing to run multiple tests and tinker, I think you can achieve similar success with what you have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have units with XT as well as XT32, would say XT32 is better also. If you use the graphic EQ you cannot combine that with Audyssey, aktho some units let you copy over a target. I have done my best with graphic eq but when I flip over to Audyssey I think Audyssey works better for my preference at least....haven't tried comparing measurements, tho.

ps. Haven't tried Dirac but seems Trinnov may take one of the top spots as well....

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I have units with XT as well as XT32, would say XT32 is better also. If you use the graphic EQ you cannot combine that with Audyssey, aktho some units let you copy over a target. I have done my best with graphic eq but when I flip over to Audyssey I think Audyssey works better for my preference at least....haven't tried comparing measurements, tho.

ps. Haven't tried Dirac but seems Trinnov may take one of the top spots as well....
Short of having several mics actively sampling against source materiel which doesn’t exist there are several methods that have varying results with satisfaction varying from user to user. I think that if I can use a mic and software to minimize nulls and peaks between two speakers and cross over a sub I’ll be ahead of most. Maybe tomorrow I’ll have a quiet house and I’ll be able to test some of my theories. I doubt I’ll have ideal results on my first attempt, or maybe second or third, but if I can adjust gain, and a seven Chanel EQ across 2.1 individually I should have in theory a relatively high level expectation of quality sound...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis