K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
Newbie here, I just recently bought this new receiver. I also took the plunge on Definitive Tech speakers, Im running 2 BP9060 floor speaker 1 CS9040 center and 4 pro 1000 ie 2 for surround and 2 for height. When I run my setup I'm setting everything to small. But I know nothing about crossover and where to set them for the best settings. I have Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic Vol off. Can someone give me some info into some settings for this setup please.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Set your crossovers to about 1 octave above the lower end of the speakers response. 1 octave is s doubling of the frequency... for example, an octave above 25hz is 50.

Are you running subwoofers? Or hoping the powered woofers of your towers will do the job for you?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
You need to look up, PENG, you can't go wrong with him.

K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
I'm using the built in subs which seem to be pretty awesome. I also set the bass to lfe/main with 120. Im not understanding about the octaves. Thsnk you for your quick replies

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm using the built in subs which seem to be pretty awesome. I also set the bass to lfe/main with 120. Im not understanding about the octaves. Thsnk you for your quick replies
A third party review of the 9060s shows a steep rolloff centered right at 40 Hz for the low end of your speaker.
https://hometheaterreview.com/assets_c/2016/09/BP9060-FR-thumb-650xauto-15990.jpg
Though DT claims your speaker is good to 18Hz, they are unfortunately well known to fudge their specs in that regard. That same review also shows a -10dB bass response with the powered woofers cranked at roughly 21-22Hz.
If you want to run these Large and full range you can probably do so. However, these speakers simply do not perform as a real Subwoofer performs, and the marketing crew for DT isn't doing anyone any favors.

In terms of my earlier post, if you pair these with a real subwoofer, not the built-in powered woofers, I would set them to Small with the XO (crossover) at either 60 or 80Hz for the mains. If not, and you want to run them as Large, you are welcome to do so: I do not think any harm will come from that.

K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
Well my room is small enough I don't think I need to add an additional stand alone sub to go with the built in ones. I just want to get the best sound I can with what I have.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
According to that FR graph, I think the bass goes down to about 32Hz @ -3dB and 30Hz @ -5dB.

But because the built-in subs are powered (active), he could boost the bass amount by turning up the subwoofer volume knob.
Yes, absolutely. No argument on any of that! ;) I did reference the -10dB for the max cranked woofers.

For a higher performer, I think 60Hz XO would be a solid option. IME, I got better clarity with 80Hz for a mid-30s rated speaker crossing to a real Sub. YMMV, always in effect! :D

K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
I think I will try the BP9060 and cs9040 at 60 and see what I get with that, maybe the 4 pro 1000 at 80?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well my room is small enough I don't think I need to add an additional stand alone sub to go with the built in ones. I just want to get the best sound I can with what I have.
Indeed!
@AcuDefTechGuy may be able to coach you a little more than I can on milking performance from those, small room or not.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think I will try the BP9060 and cs9040 at 60 and see what I get with that, maybe the 4 pro 1000 at 80?
I would recommend those 1000s at 100Hz: you can try them at 80, too. Same with your center channel.

Just to confirm, for your towers, are you doing speaker level AND LFE connection to your towers?

If the latter, experiment with LFE+Main (120Hz) on your receiver, as well as just LFE (120Hz). LFE+Main may muddy the works a bit.

K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
I have the bass setup as LFE+Main now with C/O at 120.. All this technology overwhelms this old man

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The LFE channel isn't a crossover (XO) per se. The LFE (Low Frequency Effect) channel is a separate signal entirely that can contain signal from as low as 3Hz to 120Hz. Changing LFE to anything lower than 120 just cuts signal away. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have the bass setup as LFE+Main now with C/O at 120.. All this technology overwhelms this old man
As for setting up, everyone has a different opinion.

Some people think you should set up those towers as FULL-RANGE and use ONLY the speaker connection, not use the LFE/Subwoofer connection.

When I owned the DT BP7000 and BP7001, I set them up as SMALL speakers and used the LFE/Subwoofer connection.

I think I set the XO at 80Hz back then. Most people think if you're not sure, then 80Hz is good.

I think my current XO is at 120Hz. My speakers go down to about 50Hz.

But even when I owned Revel Salon2, I still set them up as SMALL and XO at 120Hz because I wanted my subs to do most of the bass work.

Who's got the best setup? :D

It's trial and error.

You could also use REW + UMIK-1 + some kind of EQ (auto and/or manual EQ) to get the response you want.

In the end, if it sounds good to you, then you got it right.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As for setting up, everyone has a different opinion.

Some people think you should set up those towers as FULL-RANGE and use ONLY the speaker connection, not use the LFE/Subwoofer connection.

When I owned the DT BP7000 and BP7001, I set them up as SMALL speakers and used the LFE/Subwoofer connection.

I think I set the XO at 80Hz back then. Most people think if you're not sure, then 80Hz is good.

I think my current XO is at 120Hz. My speakers go down to about 50Hz.

But even when I owned Revel Salon2, I still set them up as SMALL and XO at 120Hz because I wanted my subs to do most of the bass work.

Who's got the best setup? :D

It's trial and error.

If it sounds good to you, then you got it right.
This!

I'm still playing around with my Phil 3s. I love their natural bass, but I listen to enough stuff that pushes them too far. I currently am crossing at 40. I will try higher... but would also like to try lower (which goes back to Dirac and MiniDSP conversation from that other thread).

@kwalker201, experimentation is the key. Listen to some music you know well, and switch back and forth... 60-80hz XO on your mains in stereo. Do it over a week or two... several sessions. See if you hear a difference, one you prefer. That's what I referenced earlier regarding some speakers I have. Crossing at 60Hz sounded fine, but at 80 I got better clarity from the speakers themselves, and the subwoofers performed cleaner and punchier, too.

K

kwalker201

Audiophyte
i will experiment with it all. Thanks for your replies and advice much appreciated

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis