Marantz SR5013 - Sub not participating in stereo playback

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Though this model is not new, it's been boxed for awhile and am just getting into the details. The manual hasn't provided much assistance to fixing my woes.
As the title states, my sub woofer is not operating in stereo mode. Playing music from my music server.
From reading the manual, I understand that in stereo mode the receiver crossover setups are disregarded yet my sub is intermittently operating with the low pass on the sub panel turned up to 120Hz.
Perhaps I have misunderstood the documentation. Accepting all possible solutions. Thanks for any input.

Marantz SR5013
Mains - Infinity Overture 1
Center - Infinity CC3
Sub - Polk Audio PSW505
No surrounds at this time.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Though this model is not new, it's been boxed for awhile and am just getting into the details. The manual hasn't provided much assistance to fixing my woes.
As the title states, my sub woofer is not operating in stereo mode. Playing music from my music server.
From reading the manual, I understand that in stereo mode the receiver crossover setups are disregarded yet my sub is intermittently operating with the low pass on the sub panel turned up to 120Hz.
Perhaps I have misunderstood the documentation. Accepting all possible solutions. Thanks for any input.

Marantz SR5013
Mains - Infinity Overture 1
Center - Infinity CC3
Sub - Polk Audio PSW505
No surrounds at this time.
Are the speakers set to small?

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Thanks for your response. I've actually tried both ways out of desperation. As I understood from the manual, in stereo mode those settings aren't relevant? Perhaps I'm not understanding the documentation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In order for bass to be redirected to your sub you need to set speakers to "small" (really marketing for use bass management), in that there is no sub information in a 2.0 signal. Do you get sub with multich 5.1/7.1 content? I'd start with a crossover of 80hz, too. If still not working with speakers set to small and in stereo mode, the sub should work. You're not using direct/pure direct modes, are you?

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Are the speakers set to small?
In order for bass to be redirected to your sub you need to set speakers to "small" (really marketing for use bass management), in that there is no sub information in a 2.0 signal. Do you get sub with multich 5.1/7.1 content? I'd start with a crossover of 80hz, too. If still not working with speakers set to small and in stereo mode, the sub should work. You're not using direct/pure direct modes, are you?
I do get sub in surround mode so I know the sub works. Not in direct/pure direct mode.
I'm ready to bulldoze to factory settings and start over. :)
I'll make some of your suggested adjustments and then I'm going scorched earth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do get sub in surround mode so I know the sub works. Not in direct/pure direct mode.
I'm ready to bulldoze to factory settings and start over. :)
I'll make some of your suggested adjustments and then I'm going scorched earth.
Direct mode and use of sub may not be possible in your avr, I'd have to look at the manual. I can do it in mine. Just use stereo mode....why do you want to use direct/pure direct? Trying to cut Audyssey out or ?

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Sorry for any confusion. I'm NOT using direct/pure direct.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So have you set speakers to small/use bass management now? Or did before?

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Well, I thought the sub worked. Apparently something happened to it during my relocation.
I had another 5.1 receiver stored away so I swapped (Sherwood Newcastle r972). Sub still no workie. Had a spare cable as well and swapped those out. No workie.
I think it's pretty safe to say there's something wrong with the sub.
Thanks again for your assistance.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
None of my HT preamps in stereo mode have a sub out, in any two channel mode other than "Stereo" MY HT preamps do have sub out and tone control (on Macs) Krell the sub is on the remote.. wonderful set up.. BUT is stereo mode it doesn't work..

I have a little Parasound that works ok. It has sub out control and stereo.

I've always used line level RCA or XLR for powered subs anyway.. With or without a bass processor. The only issue is using BOTH left and right to get the whole bass track from the source. Nothing to do with stereo subs below 80hz just a complete signal from the recording, to the left right or summed into a single plate/driver.

Your AV have pre outs? Use the mains for the Subs.. It just leaves out a step baffle bump in the lowest regions. Hog wash signal for music in any case..

It is a fix for music, not so much HT. I just use stereo speakers, with servo DBA. pretty impressive. It works quite well, even below 20hz.. GRs OB design. It takes a few but it sure is easier on my ears..

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
My Sherwood Newcastle r972 has pre-out for sub. My Marantz sr5013 has 2 sub outs. I believe 1 is a pre-out, but it's a good question.
I recall setting up my current sub on the r972 for music and it worked fine. It has never worked on the SR5013. Perhaps you have hit on something.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both the sub pre-outs on the 5013 are sub pre-outs (you also have a full set of the main 7ch preouts as well). You could try the main pre-outs, or even the high-level (speaker level) inputs on the sub if you have them, but sounds more like your sub is dead from your earlier post. On Marantz the Stereo mode if speakers are set to small will use the sub....from your manual for the stereo sound mode:

This mode plays 2-channel stereo audio with no additional surround sound processing.
0 Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, and subwoofer if connected.
0 When multi-channel signals are inputted, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio and are played back with no
additional surround sound processing

What ohmisback forgot is you need a seasoned sub cable :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean by a "seasoned" sub cable?
In another post ohmisback suggested one needs seasoned cables (which is nonsense). Essentially means used....altho I have offered a seasoning service to "audiophiles" by urinating on the cables over a period of time....I'm not responsible for the odor tho.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What do you mean by a "seasoned" sub cable?
What he means is that you should ignore him because he's really talking way beyond what your setup needs or should care about at all. Your equipment is very much normal consumer gear available at your typical local electronics store. It's not high-end tweaky gear that confuses people and doesn't work right half the time.

I would stick with the Marantz (Denon) AVR.

Set up the AVR with fronts and center set to 'small'. Set the rears/surrounds to 'NONE'. Hook the subwoofer up to the 'SUBWOOFER 1' Pre-Out connection on the back of the 5013.

RUN THROUGH THE TEST TONES! This will ensure that all of your speakers are playing back audio and connected properly. This should always be performed to ensure everything is good.

Set the subwoofer crossover, on the Marantz, to 80hz.

Turn the subwoofer crossover knob (Low-Pass) on your subwoofer all the way up. This allows the AVR to do all the crossover work for you.

Make sure the power lights are on, on the subwoofer. Typically you will hear a sound from the subwoofer if you plug in or remove the RCA cable from the back of the subwoofer.

The Polk subwoofer is really inexpensive overall, so it failing isn't really a huge shock. Subs are one of those things that I really think you get a fair bit of what you pay for. The sound difference between a quality $200 sub and a quality $1,000 sub is huge. Unlike, say, the sound difference between a $300 AVR and a $1,000 AVR.

If your current sub isn't working... Get a good sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis