Marantz sr5010 impedance selector

Z

Zerofox0070

Enthusiast
Hi everyone today I changed my impedance on my marantz sr5010 receiver to 6 ohms my front left and rights are rated 4-8 ohms at 130 watts RMS long term power and 190 watts peak(short term) my surrounds are 15-100 watts and are 6 ohms my Center is 8 ohms at 75 watts my marantz can have 140 watts 2 Channel driven so i changed the impedance on the receiver to get the appropriate amount of power to the front L&R towers to avoid clipping and damaging the receivers internal amp and the speakers am I doing this right or should I have left it at 8 ohms I don’t want to blow my receivers amp and speakers lol many thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone today I changed my impedance on my marantz sr5010 receiver to 6 ohms my front left and rights are rated 4-8 ohms at 130 watts RMS long term power and 190 watts peak(short term) my surrounds are 15-100 watts and are 6 ohms my Center is 8 ohms at 75 watts my marantz can have 140 watts 2 Channel driven so i changed the impedance on the receiver to get the appropriate amount of power to the front L&R towers to avoid clipping and damaging the receivers internal amp and the speakers am I doing this right or should I have left it at 8 ohms I don’t want to blow my receivers amp and speakers lol many thanks
The impedance switch should be left at 8 ohms. That question was discussed so many times on this forum:

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Zerofox,

You Marantz has built in protection circuitry to prevent it from damage as you describe. The best thing to protect your speakers are you ears! (Forget about those power ratings.) If you hear any distortion from a clean signal (CD, Blu-Ray, etc.) turn down the volume. Not only will you be protecting your speakers, you will probably be protecting your ears.

I hope this is helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis