Marantz Sr4500 Receiver has static issue

J

jcdonathan

Audiophyte
I just picked up a used SR4500, got it all hooked up and I have static in the two front speakers. I also get static in the zone b speakers if I select the setting to convert channals 6&7 to zone b. After some troubleshooting here is what I found and where I need help.

With no inputs connected there is static when any analog input is selected, when AM ( but not FM) is selected in tuner mode, no static when selecting a digital input, unless I connect any component to that input, and then it has the same static as well. I've tried different speaker, different wire, plugging in on a different circuit. Hum goes away when the volume knob is turned all the way down. FWIW, amp has been in storage for awhile, but visibly not too dusty. I did not open the case.. yet.

Hoping someone can provide some good direction.

Thanks,

John

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just picked up a used SR4500, got it all hooked up and I have static in the two front speakers. I also get static in the zone b speakers if I select the setting to convert channals 6&7 to zone b. After some troubleshooting here is what I found and where I need help.

With no inputs connected there is static when any analog input is selected, when AM ( but not FM) is selected in tuner mode, no static when selecting a digital input, unless I connect any component to that input, and then it has the same static as well. I've tried different speaker, different wire, plugging in on a different circuit. Hum goes away when the volume knob is turned all the way down. FWIW, amp has been in storage for awhile, but visibly not too dusty. I did not open the case.. yet.

Hoping someone can provide some good direction.

Thanks,

John
Is it hum or static. If it is a buzz or hum, then you have a round loop.

J

jcdonathan

Audiophyte
Is it hum or static. If it is a buzz or hum, then you have a round loop.
I assume that you mean ground loop. Anyway, I would classify it more like static than him. How does you solve a ground loop problem?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I assume that you mean ground loop. Anyway, I would classify it more like static than him. How does you solve a ground loop problem?
Yes, ground loop. The G has started becoming hit and miss on my laptop.

Anyhow, I bet this is a ground loop. First disconnect your cable or satellite TV connection. If that stops it, then your cable is improperly installed and not properly bonded to your house ground. That is the commonest cause of ground loops.

If that fails then disconnect your other units from the receiver, including the TV until you find the one setting up the loop. Then reconnect in reverse order in case more than one unit is involved.

J

jcdonathan

Audiophyte
The static happens with nothing plugged into the amp except speakers. Turn on the receiver with just one or two speakers attached get as described. Does the ground on the FM ant attachment have anything todo with it? I wouldn't think so but I can try it...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The static happens with nothing plugged into the amp except speakers. Turn on the receiver with just one or two speakers attached get as described. Does the ground on the FM ant attachment have anything todo with it? I wouldn't think so but I can try it...
If it makes the noise with nothing attached except speakers, then there are only three possibilities.

1). Your receiver is a lemon. (Most likely)

2), Your AC outlet has live neutral reversal.

3). Something like light dimmers or other device in your home or nearby is generating a lot of radio frequency interference. Light dimmers are a big problem in this regard, especially the cheap ones.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It could also be some bad caps in the output stage. Have you tried leaving it on for a few hours to dry things out before hooking up the speakers? Time to open up the case to look for visible signs but pull the plug first for your safety. The bad dimmer thing that TLSG mentioned can give you a steady buzz for sure so check that one out first.

R

romanruiz61

Audiophyte
I don’t know if I’ll get an answer, I’m a little late to this thread, but I have an sr4500 that was unused for years (maybe like 5 years), I just connected everything so I could use it again with my tv. I have two front speakers (focal chorus) and one center speaker (celestion) connected to the sr4500 and my tv connected to it through optical cable. My problem is that the avr makes like a static or... hissing noise through all three speaker (even does it when I connect the headphones through the front) any idea what this could be?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don’t know if I’ll get an answer, I’m a little late to this thread, but I have an sr4500 that was unused for years (maybe like 5 years), I just connected everything so I could use it again with my tv. I have two front speakers (focal chorus) and one center speaker (celestion) connected to the sr4500 and my tv connected to it through optical cable. My problem is that the avr makes like a static or... hissing noise through all three speaker (even does it when I connect the headphones through the front) any idea what this could be?
You probably have a noisy processor. Have you tried an HDMI connection? Does it hiss if you disconnect the optical cable? I ask the latter as the problem could be the TV and not the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis