Marantz SR 7009 upgrade or not?

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
I have a 7–8-year-old SR 7009 9.2 channel AVR that I can sell. Would it be worth paying $260.00 difference for a SR 5015 with the new features it has?

I only run a 7.2 setup.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have a 7–8-year-old SR 7009 9.2 channel AVR that I can sell. Would it be worth paying $260.00 difference for a SR 5015 with the new features it has?

I only run a 7.2 setup.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
It is really hard to recommend upgrading to any of the current AVRs on the market. Whether you care about HDMI 2.1 or not, it is still somewhat of a problem.
To be fair, Sound United (Denon and Marantz) AVRs do seem to work with the free dongle… Of course, Yamaha product from this year is waiting for firmware updates to activate promised features; these updates are seemingly not expected now until February 2022.

All along, I’ve been steadfastly advising people wait if they can. SU will be releasing new product next year (they largely took this year off, only releasing 3 budget Denon models which I think were done to test their technology for what should be a near full update of both brands next year.

Considering you held on to your last AVR this long, it seems wise to wait for fully realized technology to come out next year.
Only you can know and decide if this matters for you.

I do not recall the differences in models right now, however, I will urge you to make certain that your choice have Audyssey XT32. It is well worth it over the basic version of Audyssey.

Happy hunting!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What features does the newer avr have that you want particularly?

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies.
Having realized that the "newer" model doesn't always mean better, I'll be keeping the 7009 for a bit. The XT32, of course, is important.
I was thinking the newer features, but I've been happy without them so far. dtsX, heos, 8K et al. Pass. And thanks again lads.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on your other gear. If you have a 4K display and need functionality to support that, yes. XT32 is definitely worth it. Will a newer, but lower model, be better? I would say no, so it is a bit of a toss up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies.
Having realized that the "newer" model doesn't always mean better, I'll be keeping the 7009 for a bit. The XT32, of course, is important.
I was thinking the newer features, but I've been happy without them so far. dtsX, heos, 8K et al. Pass. And thanks again lads.
One advantage in a newer unit might be the Audyssey Editor App functionality....but seems you have most of the rest.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Depends on your other gear. If you have a 4K display and need functionality to support that, yes. XT32 is definitely worth it. Will a newer, but lower model, be better? I would say no, so it is a bit of a toss up.
Agree. Indeed I've a Sony UHD 4K and familiar with the XT 32 setup. Thanks for the support.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis