Marantz slimline receiver as processor?

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

Recently upgraded my gear for mostly 2 channel (Parasound integrated and Monitor Audio Silver 300s) and love it. Lately I've been thinking of adding a center channel back in and use the sub for LFE/movies.

Does anyone here have experience using the Marantz slimline receivers as a processor and to drive strictly the center channel and maybe 2 surrounds? I still have my old Yamaha avr but it's pretty big and looking to save space. The Marantz slimlines do have preouts for the front 2 channels. Is the voltage high enough to use with the integrated?

The center channel would be 90db sensitivity (although the manufacture suggests 80-200 watts to drive). The Marantz is 50 watts 2 channel driven. So I'm guessing if I'm unloading the left and right to the integrated I should have plenty of power for at least the center and maybe 2 high sensitivity surrounds.

Of course if the slimline is not a very good idea I can implement a larger AVR way down the line.

Thanks!
Z

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I considered the same idea for a smaller receiver. The issue with the slimlines probably isn't power, it would be their reliability. For some reason cramming that stuff into the smaller case seems to affect the quality to some extent, at least with the earlier few years of those models. I am still interested in one of these too though.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It worked well for me, pre outs were hot enough to drive amps with lower than typical input sensitivity without trouble. As for actual heat, it's still kicking, unlike a full size Marantz AVR I also have. :mad: It's prudent to keep either type well ventilated and cool.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Good to know about the pre-outs. Thank you.

It sounds like the slimlines run hot as well.

There's not many options out there for a small avr to just run a few channels or for those that aren't interested in all the new surround formats..

Z

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmm. Outlaw makes a slim pre/pro, but then you need amplification. Maybe you're an audio pack rat like me and have extra amps lying around, in which case the Outlaw may check all the remaining boxes of form factor and function.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Emotiva also makes a small pre/pro AND a slim amp. Outlaw lacks one item in the checklist = HDMI (975)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There's not many options out there for a small avr to just run a few channels or for those that aren't interested in all the new surround formats.

Z
I was thinking I could help you with some more options, but none of the three other slim AVR's I know of (Pioneer, Integra, and Yamaha) have pre-outs to support external amplifiers!
The Marantz slim AVR's only have Pre-outs for L & R, but that is why I got mine and it works fine set up the way you are describing. The limitation to Audyssey XT (not 32) is a notable shortfall (although XT is about right for the MSRP).
Also, mine had an HDMI problem at about 10 months. Warranty covered it, but it spent 1.5 weeks in shop!
After that, I put a fan on top to ensure better air circulation.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all!

The thought did cross my mind about the Outlaw processor and the slim amp. I'd like to not add several more components at this time. I may try one of the Marantz slimlines or wait until I can find some room and use my old avr.

Thanks!
Z

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis