Marantz shut off sound

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just got off the phone with Marantz tech support, they think the AVR shutting off is because I need better HDMI cables. Weird.

One helpful thing, they told me how to set the AVR to 6ohm output, didn’t know it could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just got off the phone with Marantz tech support, they think the AVR shutting off is because I need better HDMI cables. Weird.

One helpful thing, they told me how to set the AVR to 6ohm output, didn’t know it could do that.

1. That's indeed a weird answer
2. You are not recommended to change the speaker impedance switch to 6 ohms. I strongly suggest that you leave it at 8 ohms. Here is an Audioholics article explaining the reason for doing it:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, I have my Marantz locked at -10 volume and I think that’s where it was playing. It did sound a bit loud but not blaring, then the receiver just shut off completely, had to unplug it to get it back on.

Running it 2.1 hasn’t been a problem just sucks knowing what these speakers are capable of, didn’t even realize they can easily outrun my PB1000. Going to hunt for some budget friendly mono blocks, maybe Pro-Ject or Schiit, after getting wife’s permission.

I think @PENG made a point that you might not have completely realized - if you use a powerful external amp and play those speakers FULL RANGE at loud enough volume, you may be putting those speakers at RISK for DAMAGE (thermal or mechanical or both).

So perhaps the AVR was doing you a HUGE FAVOR by shutting down and basically telling you "Hey, these speakers are probably not made to be used full range at that VOLUME."

As a side note, when I owned Revel Salon2, B&W 802 D2, and other towers with 300 WPC ATI amps, I always used them in 2.1 NOT-FULL-RANGE mode. So why do you feel like you have to use FULL RANGE on these little BOOKSHELF speakers?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think @PENG made a point that you might not have completely realized - if you use a powerful external amp and play those speakers FULL RANGE at loud enough volume, you may be putting those speakers at RISK for DAMAGE (thermal or mechanical or both).

So perhaps the AVR was doing you a HUGE FAVOR by shutting down and basically telling you "Hey, these speakers are probably not made to be used full range at that VOLUME."
This too!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I tried listening full range and loved it. I’ve got them crossed over at 60 down from 80 now where I was normally listening. SVS instructed me to set the sub to LFE (where it was) and set cross over at 120 LFE + main at the AVR and set my speakers to 60.

Marantz said to set the AVR to 6ohms because nominal rating on the Dyns is 6ohms. Dyn said if your AVR has a switch for 8/4 ohms use 8. Marantz said because I can select 6ohms that’s what I should use.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I tried listening full range and loved it. I’ve got them crossed over at 60 down from 80 now where I was normally listening. SVS instructed me to set the sub to LFE (where it was) and set cross over at 120 LFE + main at the AVR and set my speakers to 60.

Marantz said to set the AVR to 6ohms because nominal rating on the Dyns is 6ohms. Dyn said if your AVR has a switch for 8/4 ohms use 8. Marantz said because I can select 6ohms that’s what I should use.

Well they gave you stupid advice to an extent. The HDMI cable advice is totally bogus, in fact totally loony.

The six ohm setting will tend to protect you receiver by limiting current and therefore the power the receiver delivers. You need good external amps to make those speakers really perform. Those drivers are very robust with a massive motor system. It takes a huge amount of power to burn out those edge wound 3" voice coils. I have really put the pedal to the metal with that motor design and not had an issue yet. They are not your usual 6" bass mid by a long shot. Those drivers are fully professional grade.

My wife is giving the two left and right mains of her system the real college try of late. Those speakers have two 6" drivers with the same design of motor system in each speakers. Each speaker is supplied with 250 watts. There are no wimpy receivers round here. So far they keep coming up for more. Total of 1000 watts on her system and that's all channels driven. None of these one and two channel specs designed to be deceptive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis