Marantz receiver no HDMI Video

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
  1. Now the display is gone again, appears for a few seconds sometimes and goes away.
  2. I connected the second TV and same issue persists.
  3. I do not see the receiver menu on the TV when this issue occurs.
  4. With the receiver plugged in but turned off, I have connected a laptop using hdmi, and the laptop screen flickers on off. It detects/undetects a second display.
I didn't see anything about using a different HDMI cable- I have seen cables that worked, until they didn't. This is especially likely if the cable is connected and disconnected frequently- HDMI was intended to be connected once, left alone and not even looked at, with max cable length of 6'. Sounds stupid, right? It IS stupid. They had no idea what people needed from it and it exists only because Hollyweird doesn't want people copying their crappy movies which are mostly fourth generation remakes with special effects, new faces and a new title.

HDMI- "Horribly Defective Multimedia Interface".

Don't worry about using an expensive cable, just see if you can try it with a different one between the PC and AVR. If that doesn't change anything, try connecting the PC directly to the TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well he did say he replaced hdmi cables....but maybe specifics might be relevant? Too bad we're somewhat stuck with hdmi for now....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well he did say he replaced hdmi cables....but maybe specifics might be relevant? Too bad we're somewhat stuck with hdmi for now....
I didn't see any mention but if he did, maybe it was only between the PC and AVR. I would go direct from the PC to the TV and see if it works.

I would also disconnect power from the TV- if the AVR can have issues, a TV can, too.

HDMI- hate it. Seriously hate it. Even from the structural design of the plug, it's a bad idea. Wide, thin and short with high probability that it will be pulled downward or upward- what's the worst that could happen? Even worse is when it's pulled from the side.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't see any mention but if he did, maybe it was only between the PC and AVR. I would go direct from the PC to the TV and see if it works.

I would also disconnect power from the TV- if the AVR can have issues, a TV can, too.

HDMI- hate it. Seriously hate it. Even from the structural design of the plug, it's a bad idea. Wide, thin and short with high probability that it will be pulled downward or upward- what's the worst that could happen? Even worse is when it's pulled from the side.
Items 1 and 4 in his first post....

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I have changed all the HDMI cables.

Using the same HDMI cable connected straight to TV, and it worked. Maybe I should let it be on for a while to see how that goes.
The cable from PC to TV is like 12m in length. But I did try using an laptop which was a 6 ft cable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have changed all the HDMI cables.

Using the same HDMI cable connected straight to TV, and it worked. Maybe I should let it be on for a while to see how that goes.
The cable from PC to TV is like 12m in length. But I did try using an laptop which was a 6 ft cable.
Ah we didn't cover length. Is that 12m cable an active hdmi cable? Preferably an optical based one like Ruipro (well this last bit would be more for 4k)?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Ah we didn't cover length. Is that 12m cable an active hdmi cable? Preferably an optical based one like Ruipro (well this last bit would be more for 4k)?
Passive cable. I have been using like this since over 7 years.
1080p display. My displays are old.

How do I know if it is optical based one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Passive cable. I have been using like this since over 7 years.
1080p display. My displays are old.

How do I know if it is optical based one?
It's likely not optical, or you'd remember buying it :) They're fairly recent. Even for 1080p many used active hdmi cables (Redmere was a popular one). Maybe its just the combination of current gear....don't know how that can play a role....but it could still be a faulty hdmi board in the avr too.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
It's likely not optical, or you'd remember buying it :) They're fairly recent. Even for 1080p many used active hdmi cables (Redmere was a popular one). Maybe its just the combination of current gear....don't know how that can play a role....but it could still be a faulty hdmi board in the avr too.
I'm suspecting the issue is with the AVR, as I have literally ruled out all other issues trying with different combinations.

Fortunately my dad can have a look at the internal HDMI board as he does this for a living. Will have him check it out this week.

Worst case, if i would need to replace the HDMI board where can I get it from? What does it cost like?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well if your dad deals with avr hdmi boards frequently he probably can find out.....but for an over 10 year old avr I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that Marantz or its distributors still has any stock of such.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
We checked out a few things...
HDMI 2 is working. HDMI 1 is mostly not working, with the menu from receiver displaying at times. I played a couple of movies, so far so good.
One of the chips on the HDMI board becomes a little hot, while other chips on the same board run cool.

I was recommended to use WD40 on the HDMI port and clean it. Would using WD40 on the HDMI port cause any other issues?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of using WD40 on electronics. Some people use it as bike chain lube, and its not a good lube. If the goal is water displacement (what the WD stands for) perhaps, otherwise I'd probably stick to something like an electrical contact cleaner from Caig. Then again, I've never ever felt the need to clean an hdmi port or cable end either.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Where I live, the dust is horrendous.
Accumulates very fast in a span of couple of months.

Curious to know, are there two different output circuitry in the HDMI section? What could be wrong if one HDMI is working and the other with ARC is not. Would this info give any suspects?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My first suspicion would be the port's connection to the board. With dust perhaps vacuuming or using compressed air to blow it out....

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Narrowed this down to some problem in the HDMI board itself. Quite challenging to repair.
Is there any reliable workaround that I can use for a few months?

Here is what I was thinking,
1. Use an HDMI splitter, one goes to TV and another to receiver.
2. Use an HDMI audio splitter (Is this any different to #2?).
3. Add a sound card with SPDIF to the PC. HDMI goes to TV and SPDIF to receiver (But multiple formats supported)

Any other workarounds recommended?

Last edited:
S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I purchased an HDMI audio extractor with ARC/eARC which provided me with two HDMI outputs, one for TV ARC and other with audio only which ca be connected to receiver input. Works like a charm!

I plan to get the receiver checked with Authorized service folks in sometime. Not much hopes on them fixing this.
Glad I found this workaround. I do not lose the HDMI audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis