Marantz receiver no HDMI Video

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I have the Marantz SR7005 receiver connected to TV and with PC as source.
Lately the video was acting up with occasional flickers and now the HDMI video has stopped working. I have audio, I can play music but no video.

Here is what I have tried.
  1. I replaced the HDMI cables.
  2. Used a different PC as source.
  3. Factory reset of the receiver.
  4. Connected the PC straight to TV with the same HDMI cable.
Any suggestions to fix the problem?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be the hdmi board has issues. Did you try turning the tv (hdmi sink) first then go back thru the chain?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I changed another HDMI cable (TV to AVR) and used a different HDMI output port on the AVR. Now display is back.
However after watching something for about 3 hours, i did have some flicker issues couple of times. One time the TV went off for like 5-10 seconds, with audio still on.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Could be the hdmi board has issues. Did you try turning the tv (hdmi sink) first then go back thru the chain?
You mean turn on the TV first followed by the AVR, then PC and output amps? (My pains are powered by a different amp).
Should I still try it out now that the display is back on.

Is there someway I can pinpoint if it is the TV or the AVR?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Try a different tv if you have one to use or borrow one from a neighbor

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the sink is the key and sometimes helps starting there and working your way backward thru the chain. Do you have a dvd or bluray player to test another hdmi source? Did you try different hdmi inputs on the avr for your computer? Is this a system that has worked a long time and just developed issues recently? If so, any recent changes?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Unplug the AVR, especially if you have had strong storms, lightning, power outage. I just did that Saturday, due to a no audio condition. The AVR responded to commands from the remote, but they had no sound from any source.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unplug the AVR, especially if you have had strong storms, lightning, power outage. I just did that Saturday, due to a no audio condition. The AVR responded to commands from the remote, but they had no sound from any source.
He did do a system reset, tho.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Yes, the sink is the key and sometimes helps starting there and working your way backward thru the chain. Do you have a dvd or bluray player to test another hdmi source? Did you try different hdmi inputs on the avr for your computer? Is this a system that has worked a long time and just developed issues recently? If so, any recent changes?
Using for years without issues. The only recent changes were the PC and changed my subs.
Will try out your suggestions and see how it goes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using for years without issues. The only recent changes were the PC and changed my subs.
Will try out your suggestions and see how it goes.
Might double check settings in the pc, too. Subs wouldn't have anything to do with it....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not the same, although it can work. Weird stuff, electronics- always precise, never exact.
Well I do usually start with a soft reset, but haven't seen anything about doing a full reset and having an issue resolved by a soft reset afterwards....but I've seen stranger things happen I suppose :)

highfigh

highfigh

Well I do usually start with a soft reset, but haven't seen anything about doing a full reset and having an issue resolved by a soft reset afterwards....but I've seen stranger things happen I suppose :)
I have seen very few AVRs that needed a hard reset, other than doing that as the recommended first step when they came out of the box but I have mostly sold Denon and a few Marantz, so I can't really comment on personal experiences with the other brands. Denon used to have a web gui that allowed saving the config file and loading it after a hard reset, which not only made that process much easier, it also allowed using the gui during setup. For dealers who had the luxury of 'cookie cutter' system design, setting up an AVR was a matter of minutes and now, it requires wading through the menu in great detail because the option to use the gui is gone- has been for at least five years.

I have reset far fewer AVRs than power disconnections- I lean on the latter as my first step.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have seen very few AVRs that needed a hard reset, other than doing that as the recommended first step when they came out of the box but I have mostly sold Denon and a few Marantz, so I can't really comment on personal experiences with the other brands. Denon used to have a web gui that allowed saving the config file and loading it after a hard reset, which not only made that process much easier, it also allowed using the gui during setup. For dealers who had the luxury of 'cookie cutter' system design, setting up an AVR was a matter of minutes and now, it requires wading through the menu in great detail because the option to use the gui is gone- has been for at least five years.

I have reset far fewer AVRs than power disconnections- I lean on the latter as my first step.
Yeah I've got one of those Denons....but need a hardwire internet connection to use it, which I don't have currently. Was nice to save the Audyssey config (don't remember it being any more than that, but that would be what I'd be concerned with). I have had cause to a hard reset here and there. Not for the OP's issue, tho.

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah I've got one of those Denons....but need a hardwire internet connection to use it, which I don't have currently. Was nice to save the Audyssey config (don't remember it being any more than that, but that would be what I'd be concerned with). I have had cause to a hard reset here and there. Not for the OP's issue, tho.
If you need to connect occasionally but don't plan to run cable, you could get a cheap network switch and use a laptop, if you have one- that's what I have done and it prevents the problems caused by trying to use WiFi in a place where the bad coverage area is the one spot where you really need it to work. I used it to save the whole configuration and in the systems I have installed, that was a lifesaver because they use Zone 2, assigned 12V triggers and other intricacies that make long-term recordkeeping necessary. Well, unless the thing bricked and I can't save the config.

I also liked the web interface when I had a Denon AVR from that time because I could operate it from my computer in another room. I do that with my MusicCast piece, now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you need to connect occasionally but don't plan to run cable, you could get a cheap network switch and use a laptop, if you have one- that's what I have done and it prevents the problems caused by trying to use WiFi in a place where the bad coverage area is the one spot where you really need it to work. I used it to save the whole configuration and in the systems I have installed, that was a lifesaver because they use Zone 2, assigned 12V triggers and other intricacies that make long-term recordkeeping necessary. Well, unless the thing bricked and I can't save the config.

I also liked the web interface when I had a Denon AVR from that time because I could operate it from my computer in another room. I do that with my MusicCast piece, now.
Think I'd just get a long cable and run temporarily instead if I really needed to....hasn't been an issue so haven't got one of those on hand either :) Didn't know about the network switch option, thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Think I'd just get a long cable and run temporarily instead if I really needed to....hasn't been an issue so haven't got one of those on hand either :) Didn't know about the network switch option, thanks.
Actually, I was wrong- I think a switch would work only if it was already connected to a router. In that case, I would go to Goodwill and buy a router, reset it and use it for maintenance. I think I paid $2 for each of the last several used routers I bought and they work fine. I test them before I buy by defaulting, then connecting with my iPhone. I look on the label for the IP address and if I can connect, log in, change the SSID before rebooting and reconnecting, it's a safe bet that it works.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I unplugged everything and turned it on after 30min. Same issue.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
  1. Now the display is gone again, appears for a few seconds sometimes and goes away.
  2. I connected the second TV and same issue persists.
  3. I do not see the receiver menu on the TV when this issue occurs.
  4. With the receiver plugged in but turned off, I have connected a laptop using hdmi, and the laptop screen flickers on off. It detects/undetects a second display.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis