Marantz or Onkyo new HT receiver

Loudogp250

Loudogp250

Audiophyte
My old receiver was a Cambridge Audi CXR120 that was great for movies and excellent for 2ch music. Since my new theater will be used for 100% movies and the fact that Cambridge does not support the new immersive audio formats I begin researching receivers. Since I will be powering my base layer with an Outlaw 7000x and heights with my Outlaw 5000 I have been think of using the Onkyo TX-RZ740 as a pre-pro. Would I see an improvement say with the MARANTZ SR7013 / 14? I will be running a Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX Ultra base layer with Klipsch Pro 4800-W heights for Atmos / DTS:X in a 7.2.4 setup. Since I am not using the amps of the Onkyo do you think that this is sufficient?

Thank you for any input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd prefer the Audyssey feature of the Marantz over Onkyo's AccuEQ but otherwise as long as the features/connectivity works for you, pick one....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I went with a 6012 after using an Onkyo 808 for a long time in my main system. Agree with HD, XT32 imo is better than accueq. I also like the useless little porthole lol, and also imho the Marantz looks better than the Onkyo, as well as it’s denon sister.

Loudogp250

Loudogp250

Audiophyte
I went with a 6012 after using an Onkyo 808 for a long time in my main system. Agree with HD, XT32 imo is better than accueq. I also like the useless little porthole lol, and also imho the Marantz looks better than the Onkyo, as well as it’s denon sister.
My Cambridge did not have any room correction and the sound in my room with both music and movies was phenomenal. I eq my subs with a mini dsp. What did you notice change as far as the sound between the Onkyo and Marantz? Audyssey MultEQ vs XT32.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have two older avrs with XT, and one with XT32....never used the older basic MultEQ. XT32 was a significant improvement over XT and can only imagine a bigger improvement over MultEQ. Newest versions of Audyssey also have the Editor App, where you can limit eq to just sub-schroeder if you want to and install custom eq curves, etc, so current XT32 is even better than the one I have (which was before the app).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My Cambridge did not have any room correction and the sound in my room with both music and movies was phenomenal. I eq my subs with a mini dsp. What did you notice change as far as the sound between the Onkyo and Marantz? Audyssey MultEQ vs XT32.
Well I wasn’t able to A/B them but basically the biggest thing I noticed was in the sub range. This is because I use the app, and either limit audyssey to So I guess what I did notice was that xt32 is possibly less heavy handed. Probably due to the larger amount of filters available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis