Marantz NR-1200 vs Denon DRA-800H

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Once upper management gives me permission I’m probably going with one of these. Question is, what’s the difference other than $100 and 25w?

Obviously the Marantz is smaller and sexier looking, did it cost more to stuff the same tech into a smaller box? There’s also 75w vs 100w, probably doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but does one have a better power supply than the other? Marantz marketing dept makes it sound like they have an all new amplifier while Denon states theirs is standard A/B amp. Other than that features look identical.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Once upper management gives me permission I’m probably going with one of these. Question is, what’s the difference other than $100 and 25w?

Obviously the Marantz is smaller and sexier looking, did it cost more to stuff the same tech into a smaller box? There’s also 75w vs 100w, probably doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but does one have a better power supply than the other? Marantz marketing dept makes it sound like they have an all new amplifier while Denon states theirs is standard A/B amp. Other than that features look identical.
I did a quick search for prices in other parts of the world, appeared to be both $1299 in Australia and both for 599 pounds in the UK. Both have an ugly power transformer and claimed differentially connected DACs per channel. I guess D&M feels free to jack up the price in the US for Marantz based on the widespread hearsay about the unigue (but fake afaic) Marantz "warm" sound.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd go for the Denon for the little bump in power. I know it's not a lot, but it's there, and for a hunnert bucks cheaper I'm there.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I'd go for the Denon for the little bump in power. I know it's not a lot, but it's there, and for a hunnert bucks cheaper I'm there.
Imagine when these hit accessories for less at $300-$400 range... even if I don’t like them for a main listening environment they’ll be hard to beat for a bedroom setup. Tough to go wrong even at MSRP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really like the Marantz vs Denon pricing strategy for the US....the "reputation" of Marantz is being marketed without any particular value behind it IMHO. I'd still get an avr at this price point (altho not necessarily the msrp), usually get better everything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still can't imagine choosing one of these units over a better value avr that can do this much and more....

J

jdjaye

Audiophyte
@TankTop5
I’m Interested in what you decided to go with.
Did you get one?
What do you think?
Did you have a chance to listen to both?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like the Marantz vs Denon pricing strategy for the US....the "reputation" of Marantz is being marketed without any particular value behind it IMHO. I'd still get an avr at this price point (altho not necessarily the msrp), usually get better everything.
Agreed, one should be able to get a AVR-X3500H for only $100 more.
The NR1200 doesn't even have HDAM, not that it would add value but would probably help sales.

It seems that NA shoppers are value conscious though, if you go by the much fewer reviews on Amazon etc., and avsforum post counts, Denon probably out sell Marantz equivalent models by a very good margin.

For style and low profile need, the NR1200 wins, just a question of whether that equals $100.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis