Marantz NA6005 vs NA8005?

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I've got my entire CD collection onto iTunes. I'd like to play the music through my TV room audio system without having to have the TV turned on to find and play the CD I want. So I guess I need one of these Network Audio Players. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two players? The NA8005 was a lot more money but now can be had for $150 less than the NA6005. I have wired ethernet in the TV room, so wireless issues aren't don't matter.

Thanks,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use foobar2000 on my laptop now, tried using that crappy itunes but in migrating to new machines it started losing track of all my cds I'd loaded up and got to the point I just got rid of it. I can direct tunes to my receiver via wifi easily enough either directly from the laptop or via the bubbleupnp app on my phone.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've got my entire CD collection onto iTunes. I'd like to play the music through my TV room audio system without having to have the TV turned on to find and play the CD I want. So I guess I need one of these Network Audio Players. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two players? The NA8005 was a lot more money but now can be had for $150 less than the NA6005. I have wired ethernet in the TV room, so wireless issues aren't don't matter.

Thanks,
Here's a way to get what you want without much expense, buy an Airport Express. This device will connect to your router/modem and to your receiver, pre/pro, or integrated amp. The connection can be 16/44 digital (optical), or analog. I have my Airport Express connected to my pre/pro with the optical output, which up samples or down samples all source material to 16/44. The digital to analog conversion takes place in the pre/pro. At any rate, the Airport Express gives my pre/pro an Airplay function; and thus, I can use my laptop, iPad, or iPhone in the same manner I would use the Marantz Network Player but for a lot less money. If I purchased one of the Marantz Player's about the only thing I'd have with it is perhaps a better DAC, but thing is 16/44 sounds really great.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use foobar2000 on my laptop now, tried using that crappy itunes but in migrating to new machines it started losing track of all my cds I'd loaded up and got to the point I just got rid of it. I can direct tunes to my receiver via wifi easily enough either directly from the laptop or via the bubbleupnp app on my phone.
I use foobar and like it quite a bit. Being free is a nice bonus too. I have an Android phone and tablet; there's a free app in the marketplace that also let's you control everything from any android device through your wifi. I haven't had any issues with it (that weren't user related anyway...). Everything works great.

I guess bubbleupnp is the Apple version of it?

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't want to put a computer into the TV room. I don't want to boot up a Mac in order to play music. I don't want to have to turn on the television in order to play music. I do always have my iPhone with me, so something that would allow me to use the iPhone as the controller would be fine.

To be clear, the TV room has wired ethernet. My A/V receiver is an Onkyo TX SR805, about 8 or 9 years old. It does not have wifi. The Apple TV gizmo works fine, except that it requires the TV to be turned on. I want to be able to get the same functionality, while leaving the TV turned off.

The two Marantz boxes seem to give me what I need. Given that the older model can be had for $500, and the newer model for $650, I was just hoping that somebody would be able to tell me what is different between these two devices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just throwing it out there. Not an apple fan mostly...might be a bubbleupnp version for iphone, not sure, but would probably still require the atv to be on if you don't have a network receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use foobar and like it quite a bit. Being free is a nice bonus too. I have an Android phone and tablet; there's a free app in the marketplace that also let's you control everything from any android device through your wifi. I haven't had any issues with it (that weren't user related anyway...). Everything works great.

I guess bubbleupnp is the Apple version of it?
Bubbleupnp that I have is an android app. Lets you use foobar2000 as a library if you want, or content stored on the android device, send to your avr via dlna/wifi. Can handle flac/lossless files that aren't apple specific....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't want to put a computer into the TV room. I don't want to boot up a Mac in order to play music. I don't want to have to turn on the television in order to play music. I do always have my iPhone with me, so something that would allow me to use the iPhone as the controller would be fine.

To be clear, the TV room has wired ethernet. My A/V receiver is an Onkyo TX SR805, about 8 or 9 years old. It does not have wifi. The Apple TV gizmo works fine, except that it requires the TV to be turned on. I want to be able to get the same functionality, while leaving the TV turned off.

The two Marantz boxes seem to give me what I need. Given that the older model can be had for $500, and the newer model for $650, I was just hoping that somebody would be able to tell me what is different between these two devices.
Airport Express is the alternative to the Marantz products. It does not require a computer. Connect it to your receiver and play your entire iTunes library from iPhone or iPad wirelessly via Airplay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis