Marantz Model 10 Integrated Amp - Purifi Class D Weighs 74lbs!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Marantz Model 10 Reference Integrated Amplifier ($15,000) is the most powerful single-box amp the company has ever made. Co-developed with Purifi, the power amp section delivers 250 watts into 8 ohms and 500 watts into 4 ohms with SOTA noise and distortion performance. It’s also gorgeous and weighs a hefty 74 pounds despite being a Class D, high efficient design.

Model10.jpg

Marantz has done some slick things to make it a unique offering such as:
  • Latest generation of HDAM preamp circuits with linear power supply for the line level circuit paths.
  • Customized Marantz designed SMPS power supply for each channel.
  • The design is fully balanced from input to output.
The chassis design is a thing of beauty as can be seen in the photo above but the price of entry may be a bit much for most audiophiles. What do you think?

Read: Marantz Model 10 Integrated Amplifier Design Overview

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. Even without the rest of the deets, that still is super impressive. Especially the price!

Now that the post is complete. Still, Wow. Nice write up Jacob.
Definitely impressive.
Def out of my league.

(If I ever need to buy an integrated, right now I would be eyeing the one Buckeye is working on. :D And then still be able to pay off one of my credit cards!)

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Very cool. Already have my Michi so I don't know how this would be an real upgrade but happy to see them release this model.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Beautiful looking amp as all Marantz gear is IMO. A dream receiver but at $15K it will remain just a dream for me. Thanks for the snapshot review.

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
It’s cool that Marantz is using the new Purifi modules in such a unique product. In the high end audio market which is full of overpriced products with poor performance, this will provide high power, load independence, and low distortion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems overpriced for what it is but then 2ch integrated amps I don't need in the first place. Good power but would love to see a bench test at 2 and 1 ohm, too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That product seems squarely aimed at the audiophool market. Not having any digital inputs, and no bass management in this day and age, makes it not very useful and awkward to use in most systems now. I would have thought that has a very limited market. They will be lucky to see a return on investment on that product.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seems overpriced for what it is but then 2ch integrated amps I don't need in the first place. Good power but would love to see a bench test at 2 and 1 ohm, too.
I think what needs to be clarified or established is that these higher end class D amps are CAPABLE of being load independent but that depends on the power supply. Better SMPS power supplies are coming out but most OEM brands aren’t implementing them and going for an in house design instead. That said I think 1 ohm near power doubling is a ways off although a couple may be stable at 1 ohm. I think the newer 1040 (don’t quote me on that) is about as good as it gets currently into 2 ohms, 400/700/1200 @8/4/2 roughly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think what needs to be clarified or established is that these higher end class D amps are CAPABLE of being load independent but that depends on the power supply. Better SMPS power supplies are coming out but most OEM brands aren’t implementing them and going for an in house design instead. That said I think 1 ohm near power doubling is a ways off although a couple may be stable at 1 ohm. I think the newer 1040 (don’t quote me on that) is about as good as it gets currently into 2 ohms, 400/700/1200 @8/4/2 roughly.
If you have speakers that present a load of 1 or 2 ohms, you need different speakers!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you have speakers that present a load of 1 or 2 ohms, you need different speakers!
I don’t disagree but they do exist and it would be nice if amps existed to power them that don’t single-handedly contribute to global warming

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don’t disagree but they do exist and it would be nice if amps existed to power them that don’t single-handedly contribute to global warming
It is not that simple. Just because an amp will drive a low resistance on a workbench, does not mean it will not blow up driving a speakers of the same numerical impedance rating, not at all.

The reason is that in a resistive load current and voltage are always in phase. But current and voltage are vectors and have direction as well as magnitude. So it becomes apples to oranges with resistance to impedance and factoring in phase.

So you can not look at impedance without looking a the phase angles. The reason is that currents can, and likely will be much higher at times than into the resistive test bench load. A real red flag is if the impedance drops below the DC resistance of the VC. That is a real amp buster, as there is certainly resonance going on.

I few years back, I spent an interesting afternoon with Billy Woodman, owner of ATC, at his works in the beautiful Gloucestershire countryside, wide of Stroud. He showed me how these low impedances and negative phase angles are amp busters, and yes all amps.

Now I don't design speakers that are potentially lethal to amps. Not only that but the bass will be poor quality bass.

As I have said before, I design for reliability in my systems. That is probably the most difficult task of all.

The bottom line is that if you see a speaker with and impedance dips down below 3 ohms associated with a phase angle greater than 45 degrees negative, then leave that speaker in the store.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis