Marantz MM8077/AV7705

C

cptvdo22

Audiophyte
Hi all- I'm new to separates. I had to return my Onkyo Tx RZ3100 because of dreaded SP wire issue that kept shutting off the system. I also had the 4k video issues everyone talks about online. These are common problem thus I decided to avoid another Onkyo, although I will add it sounded very good.

I was only able to get in-store credit thus I had to decide which route to go. I went in looking to buy the Marantz SR 8012 receiver but the salesman got me thinking about upgrading to separates.
I decided on the AV7705 but then then needed to make a decision on an amp. I was looking to buy Dali Opticon speakers at some point but I now realize they are 4 ohm speakers and the Marantz 8077 does not power 4 ohm. I was able to get each Marantz at $1800. Admittedly, above my budget. (you only live once).

I was told this amp will sound better than other more powerful amps. I mentioned to him Monoprice and Emotiva as possible alternatives.
I'm now not sure what to do with the amp and thought I'd ask here. Do i return it? Replace it with what? IS there a better cost option I should consider? And, will I notice a difference?
I only have a 5.1 system right now but will eventually move to a 7 speaker system once I've purchased new fronts/center.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this system. I suppose I could look into different speakers but thought I'd ask the group.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 8077 may not be rated for 4 ohm but it will likely work just fine. OTOH you might want an amp with a 4 (or, better, 2) ohm rating. Monolith and Emotiva are possibilities for 4 ohm rated amps. I think you just got usual salesman talk about sound quality about this amp "sounding" better, especially just in general for "other more powerful amps". Salesmen can be so useless...

ps If you return this can you get other than store credit?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all- I'm new to separates. I had to return my Onkyo Tx RZ3100 because of dreaded SP wire issue that kept shutting off the system. I also had the 4k video issues everyone talks about online. These are common problem thus I decided to avoid another Onkyo, although I will add it sounded very good.

I was only able to get in-store credit thus I had to decide which route to go. I went in looking to buy the Marantz SR 8012 receiver but the salesman got me thinking about upgrading to separates.
I decided on the AV7705 but then then needed to make a decision on an amp. I was looking to buy Dali Opticon speakers at some point but I now realize they are 4 ohm speakers and the Marantz 8077 does not power 4 ohm. I was able to get each Marantz at $1800. Admittedly, above my budget. (you only live once).

I was told this amp will sound better than other more powerful amps. I mentioned to him Monoprice and Emotiva as possible alternatives.
I'm now not sure what to do with the amp and thought I'd ask here. Do i return it? Replace it with what? IS there a better cost option I should consider? And, will I notice a difference?
I only have a 5.1 system right now but will eventually move to a 7 speaker system once I've purchased new fronts/center.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this system. I suppose I could look into different speakers but thought I'd ask the group.
After finally seeing some measurements on the 7705, I would no longer recommend it. If you need XT32, go for the x3600h or x4500h and save the money for something that matters more. If not, and if you must have separates, get the CX-A5100.

You should figure out how much power you need first, because the MM8077 may be all you need. Its output into 4 ohms is more than 200 wpc two channel driven, so it all depends.

C

cptvdo22

Audiophyte
The 8077 may not be rated for 4 ohm but it will likely work just fine. OTOH you might want an amp with a 4 (or, better, 2) ohm rating. Monolith and Emotiva are possibilities for 4 ohm rated amps. I think you just got usual salesman talk about sound quality about this amp "sounding" better, especially just in general for "other more powerful amps". Salesmen can be so useless...

ps If you return this can you get other than store credit?
I returned the Onkyo after 30 days....thus i was stuck with in store. I can return the AMP in next month and get money back. I could technically buy another AMP if it is suggested I do so. AMP cost me $1800....I put it on 24 month zero interest. Hate to be such a novice......but I am learning.
Goal-- High end quality av/music separate system, budget cost......what everyone wants.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I returned the Onkyo after 30 days....thus i was stuck with in store. I can return the AMP in next month and get money back. I could technically buy another AMP if it is suggested I do so. AMP cost me $1800....I put it on 24 month zero interest. Hate to be such a novice......but I am learning.
Goal-- High end quality av/music separate system, budget cost......what everyone wants.
Well, for $1800 I'd definitely prefer the Monolith 7 :) Maybe an Outlaw 7000X...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Everyone would probably have gone a different route for various reasons.

But I think the Marantz amp should power most speakers just fine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are all the brands available for this store?

C

cptvdo22

Audiophyte
Marantz and yamaha are the only reasonable cost seperate products. On receiver side they also have denon, onkyo, and integra. I considered the 8802 and looked at an integra receiver also. Sadly, the onkyo sounded awesome for music. I've tended to prefer sound of yamaha over denon. They also carry rotel and McIntosh as well as a few other high end brands. They dont have the 5100 yamaha anymore only the 5200 model. Its abt electronics in Illinois. I'm a bit shocked my marantz needs to be above 80 on sound bar for volume but then again it's just a polk audio surround system not towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz and yamaha are the only reasonable cost seperate products. On receiver side they also have denon, onkyo, and integra. I considered the 8802 and looked at an integra receiver also. Sadly, the onkyo sounded awesome for music. I've tended to prefer sound of yamaha over denon. They also carry rotel and McIntosh as well as a few other high end brands. They dont have the 5100 yamaha anymore only the 5200 model. Its abt electronics in Illinois. I'm a bit shocked my marantz needs to be above 80 on sound bar for volume but then again it's just a polk audio surround system not towers.
Seems a lot of odd thoughts and/or assumptions here, like sound by brand, or one brand sounding good "for music" or the volume indicator comment; judging the electronics with a surround system in a box from Polk doesn't sound like a good route either. Most of these are probably setup/comparison issues. Maybe check out the Outlaw pre-pro (976).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
None of the units you mentioned so far should have their own kind of sound that can be audible if DSP is not not in the loop, to too many people except to those with superior hearing perhaps extend to ultrasonic range. They do have slightly different audio specs obviously. If you don't need/or believe in DRC systems then it boils down to price, feature set, and style. I am surprise you have trouble getting the CX-A5100, but there is nothing wrong with the CX-5200.

How about just grab the excellent AVR-X3600H for a few hundred bucks, pretend it is a prepro (i.e. separate) while waiting for the launch of the 2020/21 AVP/C from Yamaha (since you prefer their "sound")?

Based on the measurements of the AVR-X3300H by Audioholics.com and the AVR-X3500H by ASR, X3400H by S&V, I am confident that it would sound neutral and accurate, if used with a power amp that has at least 28 dB of gain, higher the better, and input impedance higher than 10 kOhm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. I've tended to prefer sound of yamaha over denon....They dont have the 5100 yamaha anymore only the 5200 model.

2. I'm a bit shocked my marantz needs to be above 80 on sound bar for volume...
1. I think built-quality of the Yamaha 5100/5200 is better than the AV7705 and closer to the AV8805. Here are some measurements and specs from S&V for the 5100 and 8802:

Yamaha CX-A5100 $3K MSRP, 29.8LB (S&V):
SNR 130.92 dBA, Crosstalk 93.82dB 1kHz, THD+N 0.008% 1kHz, FR 20Hz-20kHz -0.01dB to -0.02dB

Marantz AV8802 $4K MSRP, 30.6LB (S&V):
SNR 130.38 dBA, Crosstalk 92.21 dB 1kHz, THD+N 0.008% 1kHz, FR 20Hz-20kHz -0.04dB to -0.01dB

Unless you must have Audyssey XT32, I would rather have the Yamaha 5200 than AV7705.

2. If you don't want to have to turn up the Master Volume so much, just increase all the Speaker Channel Levels. For example, if the Speaker levels are set to 0.0, increase them to +3.0, +4.0, or +5.0. Otherwise, don't worry about the Master Volume since it doesn't mean anything important.

3. Or just wait for the next generation of Yamaha pre-pro (probably CX-A5300).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis