Marantz Cinema 70 or Stereo 70s preamp sections

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Has Marantz made any significant improvements in audio quality in the pre-amp sections of either the Stereo 70s or the Cinema 70 slim models over the older models such as SR6012? In other words would upgrading to either new model make a qualitative improvement in audio quality?

Current system consists - Maggie 1.6s, Bryston 4BST with pre-amp outs from SR6012. Yes it's a stereo!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Has Marantz made any significant improvements in audio quality in the pre-amp sections of either the Stereo 70s or the Cinema 70 slim models over the older models such as SR6012? In other words would upgrading to either new model make a qualitative improvement in audio quality?

Current system consists - Maggie 1.6s, Bryston 4BST with pre-amp outs from SR6012. Yes it's a stereo!
The answer is no. Speakers and room, room and microphones are totally dominant, compared to any preamp or DAC. Power amps can have an effect at high power, but you seem to have a good beefy amp. So DACs and preamps, will have an insignificant effect even if they can be shown to be marginally better.

If you have an itch to spend money, speakers are the place to put it.

Maggies are far from the worst speakers and actually quite good, but there are better speakers around, that is for sure.

I am familiar with them as they are built in the metro here. To me they are sound bass deficient and under stress when pushed.

So, they would not be my go to speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In audible sound quality? Or just measurements?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You're looking for audible sq differences in such units?
Sorry, I miss understood your question. I thought you were asking about the Maggie's.

I can not hear a difference from one DAC to another. The DAC on my 1984 Revox CD player sounded and fine, and I did measure that one.

It is really all nonsense anyway, as if you are using and AVP or AVR you will be using the DAC in the AVR or AVP unless you go pure direct.

I have never done a blind AV comparison of DACs, but I highly doubt I would hear any difference. I suppose there could be some out there that are sub par, but not in any of my units. If a first generation 1984 DAC measured superbly, I doubt current ones are worse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I miss understood your question. I thought you were asking about the Maggie's.

I can not hear a difference from one DAC to another. The DAC on my 1984 Revox CD player sounded and fine, and I did measure that one.

It is really all nonsense anyway, as if you are using and AVP or AVR you will be using the DAC in the AVR or AVP unless you go pure direct.

I have never done a blind AV comparison of DACs, but I highly doubt I would hear any difference. I suppose there could be some out there that are sub par, but not in any of my units. If a first generation 1984 DAC measured superbly, I doubt current ones are worse.
I thought it a bit strange :) Didn't even think of referring to just those speakers but was thinking electronics. DACs have been a resolved issue for a long time otoh.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
The answer is no. Speakers and room, room and microphones are totally dominant, compared to any preamp or DAC. Power amps can have an effect at high power, but you seem to have a good beefy amp. So DACs and preamps, will have an insignificant effect even if they can be shown to be marginally better.

If you have an itch to spend money, speakers are the place to put it.

Maggies are far from the worst speakers and actually quite good, but there are better speakers around, that is for sure.

I am familiar with them as they are built in the metro here. To me they are sound bass deficient and under stress when pushed.

So, they would not be my go to speaker.
Thanks TLS guy. I don't have an itch to money. I was just being curious. I will stick with my current set up then - it sounds good enough for my 18 carat gold plated ears. BTW the Maggies are complimented with a sealed sub and my normal listening volume (mostly Jazz and Classical) rarely exceeds 72dB as measured with a Radio Shack sound meter.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

No, the 6012 has better dacs but the C70's are good enough. Overall, I would consider the preamp/dac section of the two are about equal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis