Marantz AV8802A or Krell AV Standard

R

raf1510

Audiophyte
Marantz AV8802A or Krell AV Standard?

A couple of months ago, I picked up a Krell AV Standard for $1,000, and now I have the opportunity to buy a Marantz AV8802A for $1,600. I'm debating whether it's worth the upgrade in terms of audio and benefits. I know that both processor are years apart in terms of tech, but I'm wondering if the 600 USD are worth the update (plus I'll need to sell the Krell).

My setup includes:

• Amps: Krell KAV-3250, Krell Full Power Balanced 600
  • Speakers: B&W Signature 800 (pair), B&W Nautilus 804 (pair), B&W ASW-2000 Subwoofer, Krell LAT-C1000 Center
  • Projector: JVC DLA RS40
  • Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Nvidia Shield
Given that my projector isn't 4K, would the Marantz be a significant upgrade over the Krell in terms of audio? Or should I stick with the Krell AV Standard? I'm currently not too concerned about video capabilities because my projector is connected directly to the Oppo and not to the AV processor.

Thanks for any advice!

Disclaimer: I live in Argentina. Gear here is twice as expensive and twice as hard to find compared to the US.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would there be a particular difference in sound quality aside from any dsp/eq? I'd choose on features/connectivity/functionality....

R

raf1510

Audiophyte
Okei thanks! Good to know! Regarding your question someone told me "I have never EVER read anyone talking about moving from Krell to Marantz as an upgrade. Its ALWAYS the other way around. " Thats why I originallly asked the question.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okei thanks! Good to know! Regarding your question someone told me "I have never EVER read anyone talking about moving from Krell to Marantz as an upgrade. Its ALWAYS the other way around. " Thats why I originallly asked the question.
That word upgrade for some people simply translates to pricing. If you already have the Krell and it suits your purposes just keep it. If you want something that the Marantz can do it would work as well, whether that's worth the expense is up to you.

R

raf1510

Audiophyte
That word upgrade for some people simply translates to pricing. If you already have the Krell and it suits your purposes just keep it. If you want something that the Marantz can do it would work as well, whether that's worth the expense is up to you.
Thanks! Got it. My biggest concern was sacrificing perfomance/sound quality exchanging the Krell for the Marantz. Thanks again!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what are you looking for in terms of what the Marantz can do vs the Krell?

R

raf1510

Audiophyte
Curious, what are you looking for in terms of what the Marantz can do vs the Krell?
The main reason would be the connectivity features the krell lacks (HDMI mainly). Both nvidia shield and projector are directly conected to the Oppo. I cant connect any other device to it right now. If the Marantz meant an upgrade (or at least the same level) in terms of audio compared to the Krell, I would def buy it. But I've been asking around and everyone keeps telling me that despite being able to decode new audio formats "There is no Marantz ever made that outperforms any Krell ever made." With this in mind, I think that I'm better off with my Krell at least for a while. What do you think?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are the particular performance differences being referred to? I'd much rather have the hdmi flexibility myself. Krell is good stuff no doubt, but in terms of processors just seems always lagging behind, they are much better known for their amps. I doubt there's any audible differences other than each units' dsp/eq.

R

raf1510

Audiophyte
Good to know! Thanks. Everyone keeps telling me perfomance and audio quality but no one gives details :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good to know! Thanks. Everyone keeps telling me perfomance and audio quality but no one gives details :p
Likely because they don't have such. Even if the Krell may have some slight spec advantage doesn't mean it's audible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the Krell has the features you need like Dolby Atmos, 4K, HDMI, etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis