Marantz AV10 not able to play 192khz Qobuz

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
Hi! So I have a Hifi rose 130 hooked into coax media player input of marantz av10. All music plays fine up till 92khz. But 192 flac no sound.

I’ve played it through Roon and directly through the Hifi rose and no luck.

Any ideas? Both fully updated

And I tried Qobuz 192 through my naim headphone amp and it plays perfectly. So it has to be the marantz or the hi fi rose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a guess, are you using processing in the AV10 (or direct/pure direct)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi! So I have a Hifi rose 130 hooked into coax media player input of marantz av10. All music plays fine up till 92khz. But 192 flac no sound.

And I tried Qobuz 192 through my naim headphone amp and it plays perfectly. So it has to be the marantz or the hi fi rose

I can't find a spec for that RCA digital input, but you are operating right at the limit of a digital RCA connection. I note Marantz only specify the HDMI and HEOS bit rates.

One thing to make sure is that you are using a 75 ohm RCA cable and not an analog 50 ohm cable, otherwise you might get enough internal reflections to prevent it working.

However the issue is mute, as there is absolutely no point in using those sort of data rates. It is pointless and a waste of bits. The CD spec of 16 bit 44,1 Hz was perfectly and correctly chosen. That gets you are perfect FR out to 20 KHz, which is the limit of human hearing. It gives you a 96 db dynamic range which is enough for any domestic situation.

In mastering there is some benefit to give more headroom before running out ot bits. Then in production producing the final at 16bit 44.1 is absolutely no loss at all.

These high resolution streams are just another item in the long list of audiophoolery.

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
I can't find a spec for that RCA digital input, but you are operating right at the limit of a digital RCA connection. I note Marantz only specify the HDMI and HEOS bit rates.

One thing to make sure is that you are using a 75 ohm RCA cable and not an analog 50 ohm cable, otherwise you might get enough internal reflections to prevent it working.

However the issue is mute, as there is absolutely no point in using those sort of data rates. It is pointless and a waste of bits. The CD spec of 16 bit 44,1 Hz was perfectly and correctly chosen. That gets you are perfect FR out to 20 KHz, which is the limit of human hearing. It gives you a 96 db dynamic range which is enough for any domestic situation.

In mastering there is some benefit to give more headroom before running out ot bits. Then in production producing the final at 16bit 44.1 is absolutely no loss at all.

These high resolution streams are just another item in the long list of audiophoolery.
Totally with you on not hearing the difference. I really more for my own ocd and frustration/figuring out what’s going on. I remember seeing in some av10 manual that the coax port could do 384khz but maybe it’s the cable I don’t know.

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern

Im an idiot. I was using an rca cable (subwoofer cable) not a coax cable

Used diff cable and boom done.

Sorry :(

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Many AVP/AVRs limit coaxial and optical connections to 96/24 though that is not the case concerning the AV10. But, as you found out, the proper cable is essential for the connection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many AVP/AVRs limit coaxial and optical connections to 96/24 though that is not the case concerning the AV10. But, as you found out, the proper cable is essential for the connection.
If using processing, wouldn't 96 be the upper limit?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
That is another issue. I understand the OCD thing when seeing an incoming signal reported differently than what is actually supposed to be sent from a device.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again as as said, sampling rate isn't all that important otoh

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If using processing, wouldn't 96 be the upper limit?
For the AV10, or any midrange D+M AVRs, 192/24 would be the limit, but as we all know, if Audyssey (also "processing"), then 48/24 would be the limit, naturally. That is, unless they made some changes that I am not aware of...

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
What device of your AV system is capable of reproducing audible sound above 48Khz? Not your speakers or headphones.

Intellectually it is nice to see those number cross our playback stream but where are they heard? The weakest link are our ears with a youthful upper limit of 22Khz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the AV10, or any midrange D+M AVRs, 192/24 would be the limit, but as we all know, if Audyssey (also "processing"), then 48/24 would be the limit, naturally. That is, unless they made some changes that I am not aware of...
I thought I'd seen they'd raised the processing capability up to 96.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What device of your AV system is capable of reproducing audible sound above 48Khz? Not your speakers or headphones.

Intellectually it is nice to see those number cross our playback stream but where are they heard? The weakest link are our ears with a youthful upper limit of 22Khz.
This discussion has nothing to do with the audible sound spectrum. It is the number of bits transmitted per second.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis