Marantz AV-8805 Preamp / HK AVR-8000

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Can I utilize the the amp section of the HK AVR-8000 to drive part of the channels on the Marantz AV-8805? If so is the preamp connected to the Pre Out RCA terminals on the AVR-8000.
I would just like to use the old unit since the amp is still good. Hope this is not too dumb of a question.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you connect the pre-amp (av-8805) to the pre-outs on the HK avr all you've done is connected two pre-amps together with nowhere to go. You'd use the main-in inputs on the avr from the pre-outs on the pre-amp to use the avr as an amp....

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Thank you for the response and education. So using the AVR is not too far out? If it would work I can save some $ perhaps.

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
No joy in Mudville or sound either. I could not get this setup to work. So much for saving a buck or two.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
No joy in Mudville or sound either. I could not get this setup to work. So much for saving a buck or two.
Did you use a direct soundmode and no sub on the HK?
Did you turn the volume up to reference level or close to max on the HK?
Which channels are you trying to use and for which?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As @lovinthehd told you in post#2, the way you described how you connect the two units would not work. You have to connect the AV8805's pre-ous to the HK AVR80000's mult-channel analog INPUTs. HK labelled them as "Direct Input". Then you have to set the volume on the AVR8000 to level match with your other amps(s), be careful to set it low in the beginning just to be on the safe side.

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
I used the Main In inputs and adjusted volume both up and down. I'm not familiar with direct sound mode on the AVR-8000. This unit had a issue with the microprocessor that left the amp section ok but the surround mode selector only able to go 5.1 or 6 channel and only be controlled by the remote. I was just trying to squeeze the turnip to see if it would sing. I appreciate all the replies, thank you all.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I used the Main In inputs and adjusted volume both up and down. I'm not familiar with direct sound mode on the AVR-8000. This unit had a issue with the microprocessor that left the amp section ok but the surround mode selector only able to go 5.1 or 6 channel and only be controlled by the remote. I was just trying to squeeze the turnip to see if it would sing. I appreciate all the replies, thank you all.
It should have nothing to do with surround mode, you do have to select the right input that you are using the input source selector.

On page 6 of the Owner's manual:

1573934875672.png

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Thanks for the Source Selector find. I ran through it and it toggles as follows
Tape / Analog
CD / Analog
DVD / CoAx 1
Video 5 / Analog
thru
Video 1 / Analog

I will try this and see if it changes anything. I'll post my process. Again thanks for the Brainstorming it appreciated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the Source Selector find. I ran through it and it toggles as follows
Tape / Analog
CD / Analog
DVD / CoAx 1
Video 5 / Analog
thru
Video 1 / Analog

I will try this and see if it changes anything. I'll post my process. Again thanks for the Brainstorming it appreciated.
Actually, HK did it differently than the ones such as Denon/Marantz/Sony that I am more familiar with. With HK, you may have to use the 6Ch/8Ch "Direct" button:

1574003040382.png

There is such a button on the remote as well if you still have a functional one.

For more info see page 35:

1574003115376.png

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Ok I attached my pre-amp outputs to the 6-8 ch inputs. Pushed the direct button to bring up the 6 or 8 ch option.
Nothing , I then pulled all the jumper pins out and tried that way. Nothing.
Just to be sure the amps were still working I hooked up the DVD and played a CD with no issues.
I just can't figure how to hook it for direct hook up from the pre pro.
I thank you for your ideas and time to look at this issue it is driving me nuts.

Attachments

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok I attached my pre-amp inputs to the 6-8 ch inputs. Pushed the direct button to bring up the 6 or 8 ch option.
Nothing , I then pulled all the jumper pins out and tried that way. Nothing.
"attached my pre-amp inputs........" Was it a typo? You need to connect the pre-amp outputs (not inputs) of the AV8805 to the 6-8 Ch direct inputs of the HK AVR8000.

You also need to turn the volume of the AVR8000 up but to be on the safe side, it is better to set the AV8805's volume to say -30 and then turn the volume of the AVR8000 gradually under you hear sound.

I know you are frustrated, but the HK has very good internal power amps, it is worth the effort. Good luck!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok I attached my pre-amp inputs to the 6-8 ch inputs. Pushed the direct button to bring up the 6 or 8 ch option.
Pre-amp outputs (what pre-outs is short for) on the 8805 ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Another point, for ease of troubleshooting, make sure you have 13.1 selected (supposed to be default but in case you had it changed before) so that the pre out for all 13 channel are "live". In fact, to make it simpler, you should use the pre outs currently used to drive your power amp (whatever it is) to drive the HK so that you know the pre outs are in fact working.

Below is from the manual of the 8805:

1574032069391.png

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Corrected the typo (sorry to yell fire in the theater). I have plugged and unplugged all the patch cords I want to for a while. I have played with the volume on both units while in speaker setup mode. This preamp walks you through setting your speakers up first.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Corrected the typo (sorry to yell fire in the theater). I have plugged and unplugged all the patch cords I want to for a while. I have played with the volume on both units while in speaker setup mode. This preamp walks you through setting your speakers up first.
Seems like you have tried everything, done all the right things but may be just a couple more experiments in case something somehow got mixed up.

First of all, do a processor factory default reset on the HK AVR8000 (Pg 56) by:

1574074297286.png

After the reset, set up the speaker configuration again to make sure there will be outputs to the connected speakers.

Next, it may be easier to try just 2 channels first:

You mentioned you had a DVD player connected and played a CD (you used the CD input right?) with no issues so let's start from there again by:

- Connect the AV8805's front left and front right to the AVR8000's CD left and right correspondingly. Don't use the DVD inputs because according to the manual, their default inputs were set to digital coax, not analog.

- On the AVR8000's back panel, make sure all the jumpers/links are connected as they originally were, that is "pre out" to "main in" for each channel.

- Obviously be sure to have speakers connected to the front left and front right channels of the AVR8000. Speaker settings should be fine if the processor reset to factory default settings were done successfully but it won't hurt to double check all the settings using the appropriate menu.

So basically it will be like using the AVR8000 with a CD player, except in this case instead of connecting a CD player you will be connecting it to the AV8805's front left and front right preamp outputs. It is just a trial to make sure the connection between the two units work, and go from there.

You will have to play with the volume dials again, may be start with the 8805 at position -20 or higher but not higher than 0 (relative scale) and then turn the 8000's up gradually.

In the end, if the CD input, and the multi channel inputs are all working correctly, then you can try the "Main ins" approach (that I am not familiar with as I never had an AVR with this feature) as you did in the beginning.

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
Success !! kind of anyway.. I reset unit again inserted all the jumper pins back into place. Used the 6 channel input section and (((SOUND))). Very low and both units are turned way up. Still need to figure out why the volume is so low.
Thanks to all who were good enough to throw me a bone or two. I don't know much but I try to work to get better.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Success !! kind of anyway.. I reset unit again inserted all the jumper pins back into place. Used the 6 channel input section and (((SOUND))). Very low and both units are turned way up. Still need to figure out why the volume is so low.
Thanks to all who were good enough to throw me a bone or two. I don't know much but I try to work to get better.
Congrats! That's at least encouraging. I suggested you turn the volume down on the Marantz and HK just to be cautious, but if it works now you can keep going with the HK's volume until it is at "0" but NOT higher.

Then you should run auto setup/Audyssey on the Marantz so it can set the levels of the used channels, i.e. level match them.

Once everything is set up you have to make sure no one connect anything to the HK except the 608 ch inputs, to avoid damaging your speakers. You can also try the "Main in" approach again. That should work too but I have no experience using such feature.

How many channels your power amp has and how many channels you intend to use on the HK?

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
It's still not to the point of doing a set-up. Way too low, its like its one click off something isn't just right yet, just scary waiting for the volume to blast. But at least the thing makes sound. Now to find out the volume trick.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis