Marantz 8805 RCA & XLR outputs

• Thread starter Bernie Williams
  • Start date
B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
Do both of the above outputs operate at same time? If I have a speaker that accepts XLR for the powered bass portion but regular high level connections for the mid/treble portion can I connect xlr out of the preamp directly into the speaker, for the high level connection can I run RCA out and into the amp and then connect via speaker wire? I know that amplifiers require you to specify RCA vs XLR but I don't see any such requirement on the preamp. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally pre-outs are always live. Possibly different output voltage levels unbalanced vs balanced (and seem to remember seeing not much difference on Marantz pre-pros but not sure). Interesting if using both what the measured output might be, tho. Then again speakers with powered bass units are often better avoided. What speakers?

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
Been thinking about legacy audio speakers with powered bass. Why would you avoid them. I will admit that in thinking about all of the hook ups/wires it is becoming a bit daunting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been thinking about legacy audio speakers with powered bass. Why would you avoid them. I will admit that in thinking about all of the hook ups/wires it is becoming a bit daunting.
Most have amp issues and aren't particularly subs. Using them as MBMs is problematical. What's your specific setup now and goals?

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
What is a MBM? Right now I have Legacy Audio Focus SE's paired with REL TI 9 subs. Was thinking about something like the focus XD's or aeris as both are powered. Might go to an audition and compare them. The wavelet processor is another daunting issue. Currently am getting good bass response down to 20 hz. Given my room layout and REL subs kind of feel as though my room is punching above its weight. Just wondering if something better out there for main speakers (though am very happy with SE's)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is a MBM? Right now I have Legacy Audio Focus SE's paired with REL TI 9 subs. Was thinking about something like the focus XD's or aeris as both are powered. Might go to an audition and compare them. The wavelet processor is another daunting issue. Currently am getting good bass response down to 20 hz. Given my room layout and REL subs kind of feel as though my room is punching above its weight. Just wondering if something better out there for main speakers (though am very happy with SE's)
MBM would be mid bass modules, maybe I misunderstood your use. Can't imagine using Rel at all....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do both of the above outputs operate at same time? If I have a speaker that accepts XLR for the powered bass portion but regular high level connections for the mid/treble portion can I connect xlr out of the preamp directly into the speaker, for the high level connection can I run RCA out and into the amp and then connect via speaker wire? I know that amplifiers require you to specify RCA vs XLR but I don't see any such requirement on the preamp. Thanks.
The answer is yes, they do. I have used RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously for years.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
As a focus SE owner (Hense the name) myself and somewhat familiar with the Aeris, I can't give you technical specifics I can only offer up food for thought. I can say this, the internal amplification of the XD's and the Aeris is the same technology as their IV series amps. Purely from a cost standpoint in theory using their Iv2 Ultra or IV4 ultra to bi-amp (the Ultra versions have two separate internal power boards truly sending full power rating to each channel. Mono blocks in one chassis, if you will) effectively would make your SE's into XD's without having to replace them. On the advice given to me here, I do not bi-amp with my IV4 Ultra. What I have zero knowledge of is whether or not if the crossovers are set up specifically for bi-amplification On the Aeris or the XD;s let alone if the binding post will allow for the simultaneous internal amplification of the uppers. Legacy will build whatever you want. The difference in upgrade may (and don't quote me on this) have a different crossover configuration making the assumption you're going to be bi-amping. What I am not clear on is whether or not the internal amps will power the uppers as well as the lowers internally or if external amplification is always assumed for the uppers. I believe that to be the case on the original Aeris. I'm not sure on the most recent model. I don't know if my listening skills or the room I have for the speakers justify me getting the Aeris at some future point. But the open baffle top end on the Aeris really does sound amazing in the right environment. At the end of the day, I cannot believe the sound that comes out of these things.

Last edited:
B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the info. I am going to audition the Aeris vs SE's monday. Will let you know my impression.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the info. I am going to audition the Aeris vs SE's monday. Will let you know my impression.
I look forward to it and I'm curious where you are auditioning them? You can just respond after you audition. thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis